good kitty litter for cheap

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if you all could share your secrets on how you get the best economical deal on kitty litter.

I used to buy this kitty litter.
www.nextgenpet.com

But it's too expensive so I'm switching to Arm and Hammer High Performance which I purchased from a website called Cheap Pet Store but I don't remember the website address. I bought 60 pounds for about $50.00 and I get free shipping.

Kitty litter is basically like toilet paper for cats and should not be expensive. What do you all use for kitty litter and how much do you spend per bag or per case or per # of pounds?

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That seems a little high for kitty litter. I've heard that PetCo has a refillable kitty litter that is fairly inexpensive and not too dusty..

If you do a search under "cat litter allergy" or look for threads started by me, there's a few suggestions over there.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use Back to Nature's Litter Purrfect.
Organic clay scoopable with natural lemongrass deodorizer.
Roughly $7 for 30lbs at Costco.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those of you who live in areas where you have a Kroger store- their store brand, has an AWESOME scoopable/clumping multi cat litter! I actually like it better than the Arm & Hammer Multi Cat litter!
It works incredably well on odor and is a sinch to clean! It's also a fraction of the price!

Also- Target's store brand of scoopable/clumping litter (i think it's for multi cats too) works just as good!!!!! I love them both

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you find a cheap flushable kitty litter that works, let me know!

I like the PaPurr but it's getting expensive and we had to switch to Tidy Cats clay litter.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am trying out feline pine clumping it seems to work and uses less that sweet scoop

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aboout 18 months ago I bought at the feed mill a 50# back of poultry crumbles chicken feed. I use it on half of the litter boxes and it works well (ok they scatter it a bit) For the other boxes I use tidy cat multi cat which I buy in 40# box at one of the grocery stores.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Aboout 18 months ago I bought at the feed mill a 50# back of poultry crumbles chicken feed. I use it on half of the litter boxes and it works well (ok they scatter it a bit) For the other boxes I use tidy cat multi cat which I buy in 40# box at one of the grocery stores.
I heard that chicken feed is great. Unfortunately the money I would save on the litter, I would spend on gas to get the feed.

We started using Berkely & Jenson's scoopable 2 weeks ago. It's pretty good. It was 8$ for 50lbs at BJs.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use worlds best, it stopped the going outside the box problem when we used other litters so for me it is worth the extra cost.

There is one called Simplicity something they like that is lemon in scent and much cheaper but dusty (and doesn't last as long so probably works out similar in price) but it is hard to find, they either have so much of it that it is blocking up the store or none

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Gail, does that clump or is it just the disposable non-clumping...? I'm assuming that it doesn't clump, but.. I thought I'd ask to be sure.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a bulk product store just down the street from me which is where I get my kitty litter. I use clumping because Linus will not tolerate the non-clumping type...I also add baking soda to the mix because it has no scent.

It costs about $0.99 per kg, which isn't to bad. It is a little dusty but I have covered litter boxes so that takes care of to much litter on the floor. Sassy is messy and likes to dig to china when at all possible.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

Gail, does that clump or is it just the disposable non-clumping...? I'm assuming that it doesn't clump, but.. I thought I'd ask to be sure.
Chn feed clumps between worlds best and swheet scoop since it is wheat and corn mixed... it worked great with a kidney cat .. for Kandie and Zoey two boxes one bag a month ... with one cat I found other stuff just as econimical

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I was actually going to start a thread about this and ask if anyone else had noticed the difference. I've used Litter Purrfect from Costco for years and thought it was great...until the last couple of months. The dust in the last half a dozen containers we've bought has been horrible. It looks like a mushroom cloud when you pour it, and I've noticed you can write in the dust it leaves on the furniture anywhere in the room. It is definitely NOT the same product they carried in the past. It didn't seem to change when they went from the cardboard boxes to the green plastic container, but soon afterwards. I wrote to them about 2 weeks ago and sent the UPC code from one of the containers, but they haven't responded.

I'll be leaving notes in the suggestion box at Costco asking for a different product soon if it doesn't improve. I opened a new container tonight and it was AWFUL.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I mix kitty litters. I mix Tidy Cats, Special Kitty(wal mart brand), Hy Vee(grocery store) brand scoopable, & then A&H High Performance.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use Tidy Cats, I just discovered it a couple of weeks ago and I've never bee happier with a litter.

First I tried the "small spaces" which smelled nice and all , but the multiple cat "extra lock" kind is great!!!!

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Me too!!! My cats and I love it, and when it's in at Costco, I stock up (ours doesn't always carry it).

xman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm using Feline Fresh pine cat litter and you should too!

It is the best value for your dollar because it lasts so long, up to 4 times longer than conventional litter.
It is THE best cat litter to use because it does an amazing job of absorbing odours.

It is THE VERY best for you and your cat because it's all natural, non toxic, biodegradable and flushable.

There are different brands of pine litter and they are all pretty similar. Go out and try one TODAY!!! Your cat will love you for it and you'll love me for tipping you off.

You're welcome,

X

puma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG! When I first got my kitten, I asked the SAME THING! Here's the link to the post that I put up...
http://thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130637

I currently use a mixture of Fresh Step (the big crystal kind) and the PetCo refillable kind. I change 2 litter boxes twice a week and 2 big pails seem to last me almost a month. I use the combo because the big crystals are good for clumping around fecal matter whereas the small stuff is good for urine.
Hope that helps!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cinder

I was actually going to start a thread about this and ask if anyone else had noticed the difference. I've used Litter Purrfect from Costco for years and thought it was great...until the last couple of months. The dust in the last half a dozen containers we've bought has been horrible. It looks like a mushroom cloud when you pour it, and I've noticed you can write in the dust it leaves on the furniture anywhere in the room. It is definitely NOT the same product they carried in the past. It didn't seem to change when they went from the cardboard boxes to the green plastic container, but soon afterwards. I wrote to them about 2 weeks ago and sent the UPC code from one of the containers, but they haven't responded.

I'll be leaving notes in the suggestion box at Costco asking for a different product soon if it doesn't improve. I opened a new container tonight and it was AWFUL.
I'm wondering is your regional Costco warehouse has a bad batch?
I've never had a dust problem with it, I simply love it, of all the litters I've tried, this one has the best odor control without using perfumes.
Last I heard, the manufacturer was trying to get contracts for other retailers to carry it as well.