or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Care & Grooming › good kitty litter for cheap
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

good kitty litter for cheap

post #1 of 40
Thread Starter 
I was wondering if you all could share your secrets on how you get the best economical deal on kitty litter.

I used to buy this kitty litter.
www.nextgenpet.com

But it's too expensive so I'm switching to Arm and Hammer High Performance which I purchased from a website called Cheap Pet Store but I don't remember the website address. I bought 60 pounds for about $50.00 and I get free shipping.

Kitty litter is basically like toilet paper for cats and should not be expensive. What do you all use for kitty litter and how much do you spend per bag or per case or per # of pounds?
post #2 of 40
That seems a little high for kitty litter. I've heard that PetCo has a refillable kitty litter that is fairly inexpensive and not too dusty..

If you do a search under "cat litter allergy" or look for threads started by me, there's a few suggestions over there.
post #3 of 40
We use Back to Nature's Litter Purrfect.
Organic clay scoopable with natural lemongrass deodorizer.
Roughly $7 for 30lbs at Costco.
post #4 of 40
For those of you who live in areas where you have a Kroger store- their store brand, has an AWESOME scoopable/clumping multi cat litter! I actually like it better than the Arm & Hammer Multi Cat litter! It works incredably well on odor and is a sinch to clean! It's also a fraction of the price!

Also- Target's store brand of scoopable/clumping litter (i think it's for multi cats too) works just as good!!!!! I love them both
post #5 of 40
When you find a cheap flushable kitty litter that works, let me know!
I like the PaPurr but it's getting expensive and we had to switch to Tidy Cats clay litter.
post #6 of 40
I am trying out feline pine clumping it seems to work and uses less that sweet scoop
post #7 of 40
Aboout 18 months ago I bought at the feed mill a 50# back of poultry crumbles chicken feed. I use it on half of the litter boxes and it works well (ok they scatter it a bit) For the other boxes I use tidy cat multi cat which I buy in 40# box at one of the grocery stores.
post #8 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailC View Post
Aboout 18 months ago I bought at the feed mill a 50# back of poultry crumbles chicken feed. I use it on half of the litter boxes and it works well (ok they scatter it a bit) For the other boxes I use tidy cat multi cat which I buy in 40# box at one of the grocery stores.
I heard that chicken feed is great. Unfortunately the money I would save on the litter, I would spend on gas to get the feed.

We started using Berkely & Jenson's scoopable 2 weeks ago. It's pretty good. It was 8$ for 50lbs at BJs.
post #9 of 40
We use worlds best, it stopped the going outside the box problem when we used other litters so for me it is worth the extra cost.

There is one called Simplicity something they like that is lemon in scent and much cheaper but dusty (and doesn't last as long so probably works out similar in price) but it is hard to find, they either have so much of it that it is blocking up the store or none
post #10 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailC View Post
Aboout 18 months ago I bought at the feed mill a 50# back of poultry crumbles chicken feed. I use it on half of the litter boxes and it works well (ok they scatter it a bit) For the other boxes I use tidy cat multi cat which I buy in 40# box at one of the grocery stores.
Gail, does that clump or is it just the disposable non-clumping...? I'm assuming that it doesn't clump, but.. I thought I'd ask to be sure.
post #11 of 40
I have a bulk product store just down the street from me which is where I get my kitty litter. I use clumping because Linus will not tolerate the non-clumping type...I also add baking soda to the mix because it has no scent.


It costs about $0.99 per kg, which isn't to bad. It is a little dusty but I have covered litter boxes so that takes care of to much litter on the floor. Sassy is messy and likes to dig to china when at all possible.
post #12 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter View Post
Gail, does that clump or is it just the disposable non-clumping...? I'm assuming that it doesn't clump, but.. I thought I'd ask to be sure.
Chn feed clumps between worlds best and swheet scoop since it is wheat and corn mixed... it worked great with a kidney cat .. for Kandie and Zoey two boxes one bag a month ... with one cat I found other stuff just as econimical
post #13 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlyn View Post
We use Back to Nature's Litter Purrfect.
Organic clay scoopable with natural lemongrass deodorizer.
Roughly $7 for 30lbs at Costco.
I was actually going to start a thread about this and ask if anyone else had noticed the difference. I've used Litter Purrfect from Costco for years and thought it was great...until the last couple of months. The dust in the last half a dozen containers we've bought has been horrible. It looks like a mushroom cloud when you pour it, and I've noticed you can write in the dust it leaves on the furniture anywhere in the room. It is definitely NOT the same product they carried in the past. It didn't seem to change when they went from the cardboard boxes to the green plastic container, but soon afterwards. I wrote to them about 2 weeks ago and sent the UPC code from one of the containers, but they haven't responded.

I'll be leaving notes in the suggestion box at Costco asking for a different product soon if it doesn't improve. I opened a new container tonight and it was AWFUL.
post #14 of 40
I mix kitty litters. I mix Tidy Cats, Special Kitty(wal mart brand), Hy Vee(grocery store) brand scoopable, & then A&H High Performance.
post #15 of 40
I use Tidy Cats, I just discovered it a couple of weeks ago and I've never bee happier with a litter.

First I tried the "small spaces" which smelled nice and all , but the multiple cat "extra lock" kind is great!!!!
post #16 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlyn View Post
We use Back to Nature's Litter Purrfect.
Organic clay scoopable with natural lemongrass deodorizer.
Roughly $7 for 30lbs at Costco.
Me too!!! My cats and I love it, and when it's in at Costco, I stock up (ours doesn't always carry it).
post #17 of 40
I'm using Feline Fresh pine cat litter and you should too!

It is the best value for your dollar because it lasts so long, up to 4 times longer than conventional litter.
It is THE best cat litter to use because it does an amazing job of absorbing odours.
It is THE VERY best for you and your cat because it's all natural, non toxic, biodegradable and flushable.

There are different brands of pine litter and they are all pretty similar. Go out and try one TODAY!!! Your cat will love you for it and you'll love me for tipping you off.

You're welcome,

X
post #18 of 40
I'll move this to care and grooming
post #19 of 40
OMG! When I first got my kitten, I asked the SAME THING! Here's the link to the post that I put up...
http://thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130637

I currently use a mixture of Fresh Step (the big crystal kind) and the PetCo refillable kind. I change 2 litter boxes twice a week and 2 big pails seem to last me almost a month. I use the combo because the big crystals are good for clumping around fecal matter whereas the small stuff is good for urine. Hope that helps!
post #20 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinder View Post
I was actually going to start a thread about this and ask if anyone else had noticed the difference. I've used Litter Purrfect from Costco for years and thought it was great...until the last couple of months. The dust in the last half a dozen containers we've bought has been horrible. It looks like a mushroom cloud when you pour it, and I've noticed you can write in the dust it leaves on the furniture anywhere in the room. It is definitely NOT the same product they carried in the past. It didn't seem to change when they went from the cardboard boxes to the green plastic container, but soon afterwards. I wrote to them about 2 weeks ago and sent the UPC code from one of the containers, but they haven't responded.

I'll be leaving notes in the suggestion box at Costco asking for a different product soon if it doesn't improve. I opened a new container tonight and it was AWFUL.
I'm wondering is your regional Costco warehouse has a bad batch?
I've never had a dust problem with it, I simply love it, of all the litters I've tried, this one has the best odor control without using perfumes.
Last I heard, the manufacturer was trying to get contracts for other retailers to carry it as well.
post #21 of 40
I don't know. I've used this litter for a very, very long time and was completely satisfied. I also wrote letters on their behalf when Costco here changed to another product, and was elated when we got the Litter Purrfect back. But this is bad...seriously. I asked a friend who also uses it and she said yes, it is dustier than in the past. I have also noticed that it isn't every container. Some seem to be normal. But...the ones that are dusty are flat out horrible. It's like driving a pickup down a dirt road at 50 mph.
post #22 of 40
I just tried Dr. Esley's Purrfect cat litter (I think that's the name) and I have to say, just the regular brand .. the cats like it better. They use all the litter boxes but it's by far the most popular since our change over. The other boxes have Tidy Cat in them (which was more expensive, and dustier)... now, that being said, neither of them were really dusty... that is to say that dumping an entire two bags of the Dr. Esley's into a container... NO dust.. and for 80 pounds of cat litter, that's really good. The Tidy Cat had a little, but it wasn't overwhelming.
post #23 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinder View Post
I was actually going to start a thread about this and ask if anyone else had noticed the difference... Litter Purrfect from Costco ... The dust in the last half a dozen containers we've bought has been horrible.
I've been using it for years too and for the past couple months I've noticed the same thing - lots of dust, inconsistent larger granules and an orange scent. Used to be nice with no scent, fine granules and no dust and now very dusty and granules that almost look like it's been used and recycled. I am no longer happy with this litter ... looks like a quality control issue.

EDIT: I spoke with their cs rep. Nice guy who assures me they have gone back to the old formula and said in the meantime, unscrew the cap at Costco to see which granule size it is before buying until it's all the newer stock.
post #24 of 40
We're switching back to Schnuck's unscented scoop. I put 2 boxes out with Tidy Cats red (which I like) and 1 box of Schnuck's unscented scoop, and they are overwhelmingly prefer the unscented scoop. Which is ok with me. It's only $2.50 for 15 lbs.

I noticed they are rarely burying their "business" in the Tidy Cats but always do in the unscented box. And they prefer to use the unscented box the most.
post #25 of 40
I don't know if anyone else uses arm and hammer multicat, but its the best I've found, it's expensive at first, but it saves in the end because it absorbs so much odour and clumps like a rock, so you don't waste any and VERY rarely have to change it. So expensive initial cost, saves in the end.
post #26 of 40
I have seen the Arm and Hammer's good results, and Tidy Cats too, but I was thinking about trying the Feline Pine scoopable for something more natural. I've had my cats for 3 years and I still can't decide on a litter! I used World's Best for a while and that was good.
post #27 of 40
I would like to switch to a non clay litter but my cat is too picky. Right now I'm using Fresh Step Scoopable Free (no dyes or perfume). I'm happy with the way it clumps and hides smell (despite being unscented). I got a 31 lb. bucket for $11.50.
post #28 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleraven7726 View Post
We're switching back to Schnuck's unscented scoop. I put 2 boxes out with Tidy Cats red (which I like) and 1 box of Schnuck's unscented scoop, and they are overwhelmingly prefer the unscented scoop. Which is ok with me. It's only $2.50 for 15 lbs.

I noticed they are rarely burying their "business" in the Tidy Cats but always do in the unscented box. And they prefer to use the unscented box the most.
Well, nevermind...the unscented is dustier than Tidy Cats red, and Raven is sneezing up a storm. So we'll have to stick with the tidy cats. Everyone is using all the boxes now. I think they were messing with me.
post #29 of 40
I just mentioned this in another thread, but the fuel sold for pellet stoves is very similar to Feline Pine at about 20% the price. It's $4 for a 40 lb bag in my area.
post #30 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan View Post
I just mentioned this in another thread, but the fuel sold for pellet stoves is very similar to Feline Pine at about 20% the price. It's $4 for a 40 lb bag in my area.
they are a great one ... BUT BUYER watch for TREATED pellets
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Care & Grooming
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Care & Grooming › good kitty litter for cheap