I fear my 16 yo may be on the way out.

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Hannah, my first cat, who turned 16 in June has begun showing some distressing symptoms: 1. For the last month or so, she will get TO the litter box, but not make it INTO it, and will totally unload a large amount of urine. I've started leaving a thick layer of newspapers there as the accidents happen 1-2 times a week.
2. Last night, my dh found a small puddle when Hannah hopped off the sofa. It was urine.
3. Today I was tidying up and I looked in her shoebox, where she LOVES to stuff herself and nap the day away. It was saturated with urine, as was the table underneath. (I got her a fresh box and put a chux under and in it as she loves that spot)
4. This week, Hannah's appetite has taken a nosedive. I wasn't too concerned at first, as it is summer in TX and everyone's appetite is a little off. However, add it to the other problems, and I think something is wrong.

I do plan to take her into the vet. My beloved vet and tech are away at a seminar until Monday. Hannah is "special needs" in that she has a very hot temper and is extremely hard to handle. I've always just "been there for her" and have provided for her needs and worked around her personality issues. She has otherwise been a good cat--very low maintenance.

She is eating C/D due to bladder stones early in her life. She also has IBS and ANY change in food, or change in routine will cause bowel problems--mucusy diarrhea and some bowel incontinence in the last few years.

I suspect renal disease. Due to Hannah's severe personality issues, I will be unable to do more than the barest minimum of treatment options. Handling her a lot is out of the question--it upsets her to no end. In fact, she hasn't been in to the vet's in 10 years. My vet understands and we've addressed issues well to this point.

Anyway, just wanted to see if there were any words of wisdom. Sixteen years is a good long life. I'm inclined to go with the vet visit on Monday for bloodwork, and then support her as long as her comfort and dignity are intact, then let her go.

Sigh...

Cally

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My 16 year old Shep went thru the same problem and in her case, it was a sign that she was experiencing a series of mild strokes. The loss of bladder control, particularly when she was sleeping or resting was an indication of the loss of muscle control. It wasn't the end of the world. We made adjustments for her that were very non-invasive (she also fought at the vet) - put plastic under her beds, moved her bed closer to the litter pan and fed her in her bed. We had another year with her after this started. While frustrating to us, she wasn't ready to leave this world.

You definitely want to take her in and do a complete blood panel and urine test on her. It could be so many things and you won't know if you have to be invasive with her until then.

Please keep us posted, and
to get you though all of this!

rockyzeus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i think maybe you should take her to the vet even if she is hard to handle maybe it is just and infection or something else maybe they can give her something

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought about strokes as well. That's what happened to my dog who died at 17, back in 2002. She went a long time with using those underpads and making adjustments in our home----keeping her bed downstairs, etc. In fact, I'm now using my dog's leftover underpads for Hannah. My 13 year old greyhound also died from a stroke, but she had but one large one and it was all over for her.

Don't think it's UTI because the amount of urine is quite large, there's not straining or repeated litter box visits. I've seen Hannah with a UTI in her young years and this is nothing like this, especially since it's not a constant thing.

Thanks for the input. I can hardly wait until Monday when we can hopefully get some answers. Hannah ate 2 whole tablespoons for dinner tonight so that is good, for HER that is.

We will keep fighting the good fight.

Cally

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...adding my prayers and healing thoughts and hoping that the tests reveal something readily treatable. Please keep us posted.

Sometimes with age, muscles weaken to the point where there is incontinence, with cats, people, whoever -- thank you for loving Hannah and for being understanding and accomodating of her needs. She sounds like a wonderful cat, and you a wonderful caregiver. We're all with you on this! Don't forget that.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since you've experienced strokes before, then you know that the vet can only speculate that this is what is happening to her. For Shep, she also lost a lot of use in one of her back legs which made it clearer to us that is what was happening to her.

You might need to start grooming her more often. I purchased a gel grooming mitt that really worked out well for both of us. If she allows you to pet her, the mitt fits over your hand and it doesn't appear that you are using a brush. You can find them here: http://www.ttouch.com/productsEquipment.shtml#all It's called the jelly scrubber and cats absolutely love it. If you want one and shipping is too much, contact my friend at her site: http://www.n2paws.com/ and tell her that Amy referred you (funny, I think that's the back of my head in the picture at the bottom of her site).

I also learned a bit about Tellington Touch which is a massage therapy for animals. My friend who is a certified TTouch therapist sold me the mitt and that is where I learned about it. http://www.ttouch.com/ TTouch helped with the blood circulation problem to her leg.

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She doesn't allow me to pet her at all unless SHE chooses to jump on my lap. Then I *hopefully* touch her the right way and she'll stay a few minutes and once she's had enough she'll swipe at me and jump off of my lap. After 15 years and finally finding this site, I think I figured out the crux of her personality problems (besides just being an intensely colored calico!) I got her at about 6 weeks of age from a shelter. She'd been brought in with her mom and sibs. Despite very loving care, the lack of socialization from mom-cat really made a difference in her case. The older she got, the more persnickety she has gotten.

Right now she's resting in the cat condo, having climbed up 4 feet to get into it. I'm cursing the fact that I didn't put a pad in there, and hope she doesn't soil her cubicle.

It's always something.

And yes, I know A LOT about strokes as I'm an occupational therapist and specialize in adult neurology problems. Cats and humans (and dogs) are remarkably similar in their presentation of neuro problems.

Cally

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, a calico beauty. My Maryam is also intensely colored and very "attitudinal". I love her dearly and have learned to basically let her come to me for attention; now, she'll rub my hand and put her forehead under it to solicit stroking from me. Other times, she'll swat me. Calico through and through.

Just a btw -- Nature's Miracle Just For Cats liquid works very well on "accidents" when used as directed; also, dealing with numerous "accidents" from my 17+-year-old, I just bought a Bissell SpotBot/Pet spot deep steam carpet shampooer, and don't know what I ever did without it.

Know you and your sweet girl are in my prayers and best thoughts.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pee-cleaner

I thought about strokes as well. That's what happened to my dog who died at 17, back in 2002. She went a long time with using those underpads and making adjustments in our home----keeping her bed downstairs, etc. In fact, I'm now using my dog's leftover underpads for Hannah. My 13 year old greyhound also died from a stroke, but she had but one large one and it was all over for her.

Don't think it's UTI because the amount of urine is quite large, there's not straining or repeated litter box visits. I've seen Hannah with a UTI in her young years and this is nothing like this, especially since it's not a constant thing.

Thanks for the input. I can hardly wait until Monday when we can hopefully get some answers. Hannah ate 2 whole tablespoons for dinner tonight so that is good, for HER that is.

We will keep fighting the good fight.

Cally
I send kisses to Hannah!

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, things have taken a bit more serious turn tonight. She came in for her evening snack as usual (we have a cat safe yard with a pet flap). However, she would stop moving every couple of minutes and assume a strange "stance" I've never seen her do. She seemed to breathing hard and her back legs seemed a bit weak as well. She'd hold that position for a few seconds and then resume eating but after only a few bites she stopped and went to lie down on a dining room chair. I went to talk to her and she got huffy and moved. A small dot of urine was on the chair.

Clearly she was uncomfortable and I'm not going to wait to have her seen. We'll take her in tomorrow morning. I'm now considering the possibility of a UTI and I don't want her to suffer one minute longer than necessary it that's the case since that can be treated easily.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all the well wishes.

Cally

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pee-cleaner

Well, things have taken a bit more serious turn tonight. She came in for her evening snack as usual (we have a cat safe yard with a pet flap). However, she would stop moving every couple of minutes and assume a strange "stance" I've never seen her do. She seemed to breathing hard and her back legs seemed a bit weak as well. She'd hold that position for a few seconds and then resume eating but after only a few bites she stopped and went to lie down on a dining room chair. I went to talk to her and she got huffy and moved. A small dot of urine was on the chair.

Clearly she was uncomfortable and I'm not going to wait to have her seen. We'll take her in tomorrow morning. I'm now considering the possibility of a UTI and I don't want her to suffer one minute longer than necessary it that's the case since that can be treated easily.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all the well wishes.

Cally
oh, cally! I am sad. Poor angel.

PLEASE let us know what happens in the morning.

My heart aches for you and for her.

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had Hannah to the vet's at 8:05 this morning. They had a terrible time with her as I knew they would. Had to anesthetize her with gas to do bloodwork and examine her.

Nothing was found in the labs. Everything was perfect, and they were all amazed at her perfect teeth--no tartar at sixteen years of age!! The vet did notice a slight heart murmur, and for that reason feels that the problems are most likely heart/stroke related.

For now I will just keep doing what I can for her and wait for her to let me know when she's ready to go. This method has worked well for me in the past, so I will go with that again. It's kind of sad as she's the last of my original pets I got when I was still single. Now I've been married 12 years, have a 10 year old girl and 4 "fresh pets" (2 5 year old dogs and two young cats.) Time sure flies.

Thanks for the support,

Cally

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, that is good news that she doesn't have a UTI; there are meds for heart conditions, and you may want to talk to your vet about them. So (s)he didn't have any advice as far as the urinary incontinent matter is concerned? I know there are "diapers" for canines, but I'd be very hesitant to even try to use them on cats due to the possibility of urine burn. Anyone else out there have any ideas, I wonder?

BEST of luck with your little girl, and that is wonderful that she has such good teeth! My Nicolas T. Cat's teeth are good as well, and he's 17+!

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No the vet had little to nothing to offer me. I will be discussing it all with my trusted vet tech tomorrow. I've known her for 30 years (since jr high school) and she has more experience than the vet we saw yesterday.

Unfortunately, things seem to be going further downhill. Hannah has not eaten one bite for 24 hours now. Will try her again in a few minutes. She is, however, sucking down water like there's no tomorrow.
She likes it with ice, so I'm making sure her "cocktail" is always ready. She has been hiding in my closet some, too. It just doesn't look good, but she hasn't given me "the sign" yet.

Cally