Ok, tell me if I'm wrong to be upset....

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Snickers (my lab) had pups and one was promised to a family that is close to my mother-in-law. They have other dogs so I know they know what they're doing, but yesterday they wanted to come and see him. DH and I weren't home but we leave the door unlocked so MIL can check on the pups.

MIL let them in (which kind of made me mad) then, the family took the puppy! He is only 5 1/2 weeks old! We have been feeding them puppy food moistened with water, and they just started eating dry food but they all still nurse at times but Snickers is trying to wean them.

In my opinion he shouldn't have been taken for at LEAST another 2 weeks. Besides that, this puppy was "promised" but they had no right to just come and take it when we weren't there. DH even said it was too early, but he said these people know what they are doing. And, they bottle feed deer, so I guess they will bottle feed him if he needs it.

The other puppies are fine, but Snickers is very needy, looking all around for her other baby.

I don't know who to be mad at....MIL, the family that took him, or both!

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would be mad and I would go and take the puppy back. That was not the right thing for them to do at all!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to take the puppy back, puppies need to be 8 weeks old before they go. The have to learn how to play with the littermates and learn what is acceptable to other dogs and what isnt. And it was wrong of them to just take it, for all they know the puppy could not have been weened at all yet.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i would have to agree, i would call them, and tell them that the puppy needs another 3 weeks with the mother, so it can learn doggie manners.

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
what were they thinking? sorry but obviously they didn't know what they were doing? that's kinda weird that they just took they pup on top of it even if it was promised, you did not give permission, correct? I assume it was just a bad judgement call on there end cuz you found them to be fit for good pet parents. Try and have nice talk with them and get the pooch back for a couple of more weeks. Hopefully they will understand. Good luck! (ok i have to laugh, i just reread my post and I had put cat instead of get!!!!, no not cat oriented here!)

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would be outraged! I think you need to contact them and insist they bring that pup back. It is not just nursing he needs he also needs socilaization with his mother and his other siblings.

This is an important time in his life to learn from his mother. She will be teaching him doggie behavior and if he does not learn it he could have behavioral problems down the road.

sassy's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with all of the above. Also, what's to stop them from taking "other" things as promised later as well, when they feel like taking said item? It's a boundaries issue and puppy welfare. (I feel like Dear Abby here.)

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree... I'd be upset with both them and you MIL. They had no right to even be IN your house let alone take a puppy out of it with out your express permission. As you already said, the puppy needs to be older and just because the CAN bottle feed him doesn't mean they should. IMO, the only time a baby (of any type) should be bottle fed is if there is NO other option. That's not the case here.

At my reception last weekend a couple showed up w/ a pug puppie under 6 weeks old. They say it came from a breeder but I had to wonder what type breeder would let a puppy that young go.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO it is stealing. and i would call them and say you are taking the pup back, if they do not allow this then i would tell them you have no option then to call the police then as it is stealing.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I daresay if you called them and said your MIL didn't realise they were available yet, and they need a few more weeks with their mum, they will happily bring the pup back. Just call them.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be upset, too. get the puppy back! being that young, the pup could have aggression issues later on.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The puppy is your property in the eyes of the law. They stole. Go get the puppy back. If they refuse, take pics to the police & demand that your "property" be returned! For once....the law viewing animals as property could be a good thing!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd be mad at BOTH! And I'd march over then and tell them the puppy is NOT ready to leave and you will be taking it back till its ready!

Your MIL had NO right to either let them in or to let them take the pup!

catgirl2548m

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I daresay if you called them and said your MIL didn't realise they were available yet, and they need a few more weeks with their mum, they will happily bring the pup back. Just call them.
agree 100%. why get upset when u can just tell them about your mil's mistake and let them know they can still have puppy in a couple weeks.

im not sure why every1 wants you to start a flame war with ur neigbor right out of the gate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly don't know what to do. 5 1/2 weeks is very young, but we got Snickers when she was 6 weeks (the owner basically said "come and get her or else she is going to the pound") and she grew up just fine. I thought it was to soon to get her, but the rest of the puppies were already gone. I think the puppy will be ok, and he will be around other dogs that will teach him behavior and socialize with him. So, I'm going back and forth about calling them.

I'm more mad at my mother-in-law. We have always had a good relationship and I'm afraid of ruining that. Especially since she gave us 5 acres to build our house, and she lives 100 yards up the road from us...so this can be a sticky situation. I want to tell her how I feel, but I HATE confrontation...especially with family.

Lord, I'm getting a headache!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would tell your MIL:

"I know you meant well, but I really am upset about "name" coming in my house and taking one of the puppies - they were NOT ready to leave home. Please don't do that again or ask me first before. I appreciate what you are doing in looking out for them, but this has gotten me very upset."

Then go over to the people and tell them "my MIL made a mistake in allowing you to take the puppy right now, I really would rather them stay with mom/siblings a few more weeks and would like to take him/her home now"

lioness

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would be upset
and I would take the puppy back and keep him for at least a couple more weeks.

It is nice that they are experienced but there's no reason for the puppy to be bottle fed if it was nursing on mom just fine. Just my opinion.

I hope you take him/her back seriously.

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would definatly ask for the puppy back. Even if they have other dogs puppies need to be with their mother and siblings until 8 weeks at least.

Dogs that arent their mother just dont react the same way to the puppy as a mother would. And most of the time let the puppy get away with way to much. Plus the littermates teach each other how to play right with other dogs.

Just calll them and let them know she or he isnt readdy to go yet that your MIL made a mistake and that they can have the pup back in a few weeks. Mother dogs nurse their pups for alot longer then 5 1/2 weeks. Even if shes starting to wean them now she probably wont fully wean them for several more weeks.

lioness

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I honestly don't know what to do. 5 1/2 weeks is very young, but we got Snickers when she was 6 weeks (the owner basically said "come and get her or else she is going to the pound") and she grew up just fine. I thought it was to soon to get her, but the rest of the puppies were already gone. I think the puppy will be ok, and he will be around other dogs that will teach him behavior and socialize with him. So, I'm going back and forth about calling them.

I'm more mad at my mother-in-law. We have always had a good relationship and I'm afraid of ruining that. Especially since she gave us 5 acres to build our house, and she lives 100 yards up the road from us...so this can be a sticky situation. I want to tell her how I feel, but I HATE confrontation...especially with family.

Lord, I'm getting a headache!
I understand not wanting to cause conflict but I feel you should let people know when they upset you also. It is not right for someone to come into YOUR house and start making decisions (including taking the puppy) without talking to you first. I don't think you have to be rude or angry about it. Just calmly tell her how you feel and you would like the puppy back. I don't think she should have a problem with that especially since you seem willing to give them the puppy after it is ready to go. I don't want to start rambling. Just don't want you to take it. She is your family so you should be able to talk to her.