T.E.N.S. Unit - Anyone Use One?

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been having muscle spasms in my back for a month now. I had an MRI two weeks ago which showed two problems: A bulging cervical disc at C5-6 (neck), and spondylolisthesis at L4-5 (lower back.) I had physical therapy yesterday and they gave me several different exercises to do over the weekend. They seem logical and are targeted to the pain areas, however, I'm still having problems with severe muscle spasms in my back. The physical therapist said that she will have a T.E.N.S. unit available for me to try on Tuesday, and we will try pads on both my low neck and low back pain. I'm curious if anyone here has tried them, and if so, what kind of pain relief did you get? My grandmother used one about 10 years ago for her hip pain, but she passed away in 1999, so I can't ask her about it! I also talked to one of the Physician's Assistants the other day about another type of device called the RS Medical Muscle Stimulator, RS-4m, which works differently than the T.E.N.S. unit for muscle spasms. Since it's a very new product, I'm guessing that no one has tried one. If anyone has...I'd love to hear about your experience with it too!

Thanks!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. It stands for "Trans Electrical Nerve Stimulation" which helps to relieve pain.

It's not instant, but in time it helps to relax the muscles and help with healing.

I have had it when I've gone to a chiropractor and with physiotherapy. It actually feels very nice...really nice actually. With physio I was given hot packs to lay on and the suction cups for the machine were applied to various parts of my back and I laid there for 30 minutes. It feels like a deep muscle massage without the muscle contraction.

I actually bought something similar about 7 years ago. Actually it sounds a great deal like that Muscle Stimulator you mentioned. It has the effect of TENS, but it also actually stimulates and works the muscle causing it to contract which helps to actually not only relieve pain, but also to relax and strengthen the muscles.

http://www.drhonow.com/

I never leave my house without that little machine. When I go to work it's in my purse and there is usually a fight with staff between who gets to use it when I'm not using it

I have also had accupuncture. I hate needles, but I was in so much pain that I was willing to try anything. It really helped. The last time I hurt my back they had to do 3 weeks of accupuncture before they could even touch me because I screamed from pain from just the weight of my clothing on my back. The nerves were that intense.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I actually bought something similar about 7 years ago. Actually it sounds a great deal like that Muscle Stimulator you mentioned. It has the effect of TENS, but it also actually stimulates and works the muscle causing it to contract which helps to actually not only relieve pain, but also to relax and strengthen the muscles.

http://www.drhonow.com/
Shoot. I went to this site and it says that it's not available for sale to U.S. customers. It sounds very much like the RS Medical product. I think I will try the T.E.N.S. that will be available on Tuesday to see how that works, and ask Cheryl (the PA) to contact the RS Medical rep to see if I can try one of those too!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try calling the 800 number and asking if they will ship to the USA. Maybe they will make an exception. If the 800 number doesn't work there, I can phone and ask for you.

I love my Dr. Ho Muscle Massage. I sometimes sit at the computer and have it turned on for hours because it feel sooooo nice on the upper back. My machine is his first one, and only has 2 pads. I would love to get the newer one with the 4 pads, but I can't afford that right now. But even after 7 years this machine still works great and the batteries last a long time.

paulena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have also tried the TENS unit. Did nothing for me, as I have DDD and have had 5 back surgeries. It was prescribed to me to help elevate pain on the left side of my body. (severe nerve damage) It is suppose to block the pain from ever being received to the brain. I was gonna have a neuro-stimulator implant IF this worked, but I didn't have good luck with it at all!! Also, it was kind of bundlesome, you have 4 leads that you attach to your back and all the wires running from it to the lil controller thing. It was almost impossible to hide underneath your clothing. I always had all the cords hanging out from underneath my blouse. Didn't like it at all!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've used my Dr. Ho machine many many times while I was working. I would put it on and then stick it in my pocket. Hardly noticable at all and certainly not cumberson.

I guess it depends on the person, but after I got mine several other nurses I work with got one too and they all used it at times when they were working without any problems.

Maybe the machine you had was larger and bulky?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a picture of my machine. I have placed a Q-Tip next to it to give you an idea of the size.

The machine dimensions:
3/4" (2 cm) deep from front to back.
3"x3" (7.5 cm) each side

The pad holder:
Less than 3/4" (1.5 cm) from front to back.
Sides are the same as the machine 3"x3" (7.5 cm).

Both fit into the black carrying case to make it compact to carry.
2" from front to back
less than 3.5 inches each side.

Plus I put extra batteries and an extra set of pads in there.