HELP!!!! Barkley Thinks Sticky Paws are Toys!

barkleysjester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As most of you know my adorable four year old cat Barkley is a hellion on four paws! I think he enjoys attempting to turn mommy's hair gray with his sometimes bad behavior. In order to help curb some of his antics it was recommended to me that I try using a product called Sticky Paws around the house where I did not want Barkley to be, primarily on the countertops in the kitchen and to help curb his appetite for ferociously clawing at my couch set. The whole point of the sticky paws is that the sticky adhesive is supposed to deter the cats from certain behavior. THEY DONT WORK WHERE BARKLEY IS CONCERNED!!!

I love my little man but some days I want to take him back to the Humane Society (I only say that out of sheer frustration, I would never give my sweet boy up!). I try to keep his nails trimmed although he gives me a fight at times where that's concerned. I have scratch posts throughout the house but he refuses to use them. He prefers mommy's couch to anything else. Barkley has taken to peeling the sticky paws off and using them for toys. Plus, he seems to have no problem whatsoever walking on the adhesive side. If he gets stuck, he will simply shake his leg a little bit to get it to let go and continue on doing whatever he is doing. Im really running out of ways to keep him off the counters and clawing at the furniture.

I should also mention that I have tried other methods to no avail. I refuse to have him declawed so that is not an option. Ive tried squirting a water gun at him in the past but was told that was not a good solution to the problem. I have sprayed cat deterent spray on the furniture but that doesnt seem to be working either. Does anyone have any solutions? Im at my wits end on this whole thing and would really like to keep my furniture another few years if I can, but Barkley is slowly but surely making that difficult.

Sorry this is so long but thanks for reading and responding, I appreciate it!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
You may want to try Ssscat for the countertops and to keep him out of certain areas. I understand about the Sticky Paws (Lucy enjoys peeling it off).

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe he is what they call "incorrigible". Your only hope is tranquilizers. For you, not him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

barkleysjester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

I believe he is what they call "incorrigible". Your only hope is tranquilizers. For you, not him.
I think Im at the point where that might be my only solution

barkleysjester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by My cat Mellow

what about soft claws, they are little rubber caps that glue on to his claw, to make it rounded so it doesnt mark your furniture?
I have heard about those but Im wondering just how much of a fight he would put up for me to put those on him. He already hates having his nails clipped either by me or the vet. How much do those go for and can I get them at a place like Petco or Petsmart?

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We just got new furniture and have put the soft claws on Roxie. We got them at Petco. For a package it cost us around $22. It either had 20 or 40 nail caps, but I don't recall at the moment. I think it was 40 though. You could probably find them online a little cheaper.

Roxie hissed and tried to bite when we were putting them on so good luck!!

barkleysjester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roxie225

We just got new furniture and have put the soft claws on Roxie. We got them at Petco. For a package it cost us around $22. It either had 20 or 40 nail caps, but I don't recall at the moment. I think it was 40 though. You could probably find them online a little cheaper.

Roxie hissed and tried to bite when we were putting them on so good luck!!
I can see Barkley now having a hissy fit, he really doesnt like being brushed all that much so I know he wont take lightly to the soft claws, although any alternative to declawing is what Im looking for right now. Thanks for the info!

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your welcome!! You should try wrapping him in a towel like a little burrito and have nothing stick out but his paws and maybe his little face. The towel kinda prevents them from moving so much. I definately suggest you have a second person to help you!

barkleysjester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Your welcome!! You should try wrapping him in a towel like a little burrito and have nothing stick out but his paws and maybe his little face. The towel kinda prevents them from moving so much. I definately suggest you have a second person to help you!
I will have to try that, I thought maybe you were gonna say that the towel would keep them calm. I will definitely have someone on call that will be available to help me out with this mission because knowing Barkley as I do he will put up a fit big time

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's what I do with Angel and Tiger. They prefer to be wrapped in my fleece blanket though because it's like fur. Trust me, a huge difference for them two!