He's swallowing his hairballs!

katmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My one cat who is 2 1/2 yrs. old, has recently started to bring up hair balls, but when they come up, instead of him throwing up and getting rid of it, he ends up swallowing it back.

Without having to take him to the vet (I just had them there last month for their shots) is there something I can put on his paws (Vaseline?). Then he would lick that and perhaps pass it through the other end?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are lots of hairball medicines available, like Laxatone, Petromalt and VetBasis. Odo swallows about half his hairballs as I see them come out the other end (ick). As long as he keeps eating and drinking normally, he should be okay. Either one of the hairball goops or some plain canned pumpkin (the kind without spices) can help ease the process along.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Yeah, Oliver does this too... it's about half and half as to the ones that end up on the carpet and the ones that end up in the poo... I used hairball paste for awhile, but Ollie's just gotten to be such a pain taking it that I stopped (I even tried putting it on his paws... worked the first time - after that, there are now stains from it on the dining room wall from paw flicking)...

tickytat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

Yeah, Oliver does this too... it's about half and half as to the ones that end up on the carpet and the ones that end up in the poo... I used hairball paste for awhile, but Ollie's just gotten to be such a pain taking it that I stopped (I even tried putting it on his paws... worked the first time - after that, there are now stains from it on the dining room wall from paw flicking)...
I hear that! I simply MUST give my cat hairball medicine every day (instructions by the vet due to Megacolon... long story). But it's SOOOO hard to give to her. She just HATES it. On paw = flicked off and not EVER licked off. It just dries on there. Ewww. On shoulder = just dries there. The only thing I've come across that actually seems to get inside her is smearing it on her cheeks/lips. Then she has no choice. But if anyone knows of an easier way, let me know!

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stormy does that as well. But she usually gets it out later one way or another

Stormy, Winnie & Spyder all hate the hairball goop. I put it on their paws and the go running around the house like they are being chased by evil spirits all the while shaking it off of their paws!!

Crystal on the other hand, loves it.

danad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stormy

Stormy does that as well. But she usually gets it out later one way or another

Stormy, Winnie & Spyder all hate the hairball goop. I put it on their paws and the go running around the house like they are being chased by evil spirits all the while shaking it off of their paws!!

Crystal on the other hand, loves it.
The image of your cats doing this made me laugh so hard.
I have not given my kittens this stuff yet, but glad to read what may happen to be prepared !