Update on Ryu's food poisoning.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As you know last week Ryu was diagnosed with food poisoning, I just want to let you know he finished his meds yesterday and he has the hugest appetite I have ever seen on him. Today for breakfast he consumed a whole tin of jelly meat.
So again he is a healthy, happy little boy. Had his nails clipped yesterday so he can't climb on top of the cupboard unit in the dining room. As mentioned in yesterdays daily, him and Diego were having a game of who can jump the farthest. I knew Diego could get up there and we put measures in place to see that he can't anymore but it seems he figured something out. I'm concerned about that because A) they are both kittens B) Diego very, very seldomly lands on his paws even from short heights and C) Ryu is just a baby who, has been sick often since his rescue and I don't want anymore scares from him.

Now I would like to get this message across to everyone, especially if you live in a hot country like I do. If your cat doesn't eat all its food at feeding time, THROW IT AWAY!. Most of us do with wet food, but we don't think about it when it comes to dry food (or I'm really behind the times).
Ryu had access to Diego's dry food at times, coz I never leave his wet food out if he didn't eat it all. How he got food poisoning was eating some dry food, and his saliva stayed on what he didn't eat and thus multiplied, causing Ryu to be very ill. It can happen to anyones cat, so please be alert.

A side note. The vet, my wife and I assume it was food poisoning due to the fact, they have no access whatsoever to any poisonous materials, I.E soap, bleach etc, etc.

Right now he is bathing himself beside me asking "your not talking about me again are you?"

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your not behind the times ... BUT most of us forget when you feed a NATURALLY preserved food it is not good if left out... I dump Zoeys extras every day ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Your not behind the times ... BUT most of us forget when you feed a NATURALLY preserved food it is not good if left out... I dump Zoeys extras every day ...
Oh I was unaware dry was naturally preserved. But you learn something new everyday.
I feed Ryu in portions, like 1/4 of a tin of wet, then if he wants more he gets just a bit so theres no wastage. Tight budget and all.
Once his weight is good, he will be on dry. He was making steady progress with putting on a bit of weight, but this latest sickness, he dropped it again.

I thought at first maybe he has been ill since we rescued him, but the vet said it would have been consistent if that were the case.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did not know that either about dry food and saliva. My kitties are all pigs when it comes to chowing but I have had situations where a bag of food seemed rancid.

I'm glad to hear your little boy is fine now!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Riley is free-fed dry food and when his bowl gets low, I just refill it. Should I throw out what is left each day and put new in it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Riley is free-fed dry food and when his bowl gets low, I just refill it. Should I throw out what is left each day and put new in it?
Over here were in the mid to high 30's (celcius) and I don't have air con, so the house easily gets in the 40's which is the idea temperature for bacteria.

But no I wouldn't risk leaving it out too long, ever again personally.
I would rather waste my money throwing out leftover dry food, than to ever have to clean up so much vomit again, as well as the cost of the vet, and having to give pills to the poor baby. Pills weren't a problem but he has been sick several times since I caught him, actually this is the second food poisoning but last time the vet thought it was just a fever. I keep telling Ryu his meds are finished, then something happens and I gotta give him meds all over again.

Thats quite a long answer isn't it