Can she get pregnant?

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sisters kitty is almost 5 months old and my uncle has let her outside twice in the last couple of days for a few hours at a time. Could she get pregnant at 5 months old?

She will be spayed eventually, but my mom just doesn't have the money right now because of what just happened to my dad.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes she can, an to make her realise the importance of keeping the kitty inside, point out that if she can't afford a simple spay surgery now (which at some places is only around $40, or free if you qualify), imagine having a litter of, say, 5 kittens to provide litter and food for, as well as 2-3 rounds of vaccines each, dewormer and testing because who would know anything about the health of the male she would mate with... on top of spaying and neutering them all and the mom... all that food they will eat will just be overwhelming costs.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, kittens as young as 4-5 months old CAN become pregnant if bred. If you let her out supervised, that's ok, but if not, you can wind up with a pregnant kitten. IMO a 5 month old kitten could have complications and might even die if trying to have kittens at that age.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

yes she can, an to make her realise the importance of keeping the kitty inside, point out that if she can't afford a simple spay surgery now (which at some places is only around $40, or free if you qualify), imagine having a litter of, say, 5 kittens to provide litter and food for, as well as 2-3 rounds of vaccines each, dewormer and testing because who would know anything about the health of the male she would mate with... on top of spaying and neutering them all and the mom... all that food they will eat will just be overwhelming costs.

It amazes me the amount of people who allow their unspayed cats outside and then get surprised when they come back pregnant. Sometimes you really need to let people know the repercussions and responsibilities of having a cat, as most seem to be naive to it.

Good luck!!!! I hope for her sake she's not pregnant.

sassy's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Call your local ASPCA or Humane Society for vets that might offer low-cost or free spaying. It's something that needs to be taken care of ASAP. You definitely don't want your cat to get pregnant young, lots of complications can occur - costing a lot more than the spaying.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister doesn't just let her outside. She sees the other cat going outside (who is spayed) and she tries to follow. She has been successful twice.

There is no low cost spay/neuter clinics around here. I have checked. The cheapest I have found is $100. She will get done, but like I said before my mom doesn't have the money right now because my dad just passed away and she had to pay for his funeral.