Irrational fear?

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do any of you have an irrational fear of something? Mine is silly, grasshoppers. I'm terrified of them even though I know they can't hurt me. I hate the way they look. The ones that fly when they jump really freak me out. Small grasshoppers are OK but if they get much bigger than an inch I freak out. The weird thing is when I was a kid they didn't bother me at all. So, what are you terrified of?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Plants. My skin crawls at the though!
Does grass count or is it just house plants or something?

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Spiders. Absolutely terrified of them. I was working in a job last year that required me to enter a lot of not-often-accessed boiler rooms and I sometimes had to go in hunt of rocks and stick to knock down spiders blocking the door because I can't bring myself to go near them.

I wasn't scared of spiders as a kid either. But when I was 12 or so I once broke a soda and dumped the rest into a sports cup (you know the ones with the insulators and straws). Turned out a spider had made the inside of that cup his happy home - ended up crawling around in my mouth. So I'm pretty sure thats where mine started...

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a severe irrational fear of being late. I get butterflies in my stomach and really stressed out if I think I'm going to be late to something...I guess that's really just "anxiety" but idk if it qualifies as irrational...but it's all I got.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wanna freak me out? Run at me with an earthworm or a fish!! I get chills just thinking about them!! My youngest daughter is terrified of Possums and Katydids. Cute little katydids! I can't even hold one without her screaming.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first started the job I have now I use to have nightmares about forgetting things, or not being able to get things done...
That lasted for about six months but I grew out of it so to speak as I got more use to the job.

Now I think the only thing that really scares me are spiders...It runs in my family my dad use to be scared of them as well and my mom would always tease him about her being the one who had to kill the spiders.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
women, really, they are not normal men
evertime i hear the wife yell my name, i jump in my chair,,,

megagene

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sure, I have lots: I'm afraid of clowns, porecelain dolls, centipedes, large bodies of water, heights, ventriloquist dummies...You name it, I'm afraid of it!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

Does grass count or is it just house plants or something?
I don't like to go barefoot in it, or walk through high grass at all. But otherwise grass is ok. I even like a few flowers like carnations or roses, so long as they don't have lots of leaves on them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

Wanna freak me out? Run at me with an earthworm or a fish!! I get chills just thinking about them!! My youngest daughter is terrified of Possums and Katydids. Cute little katydids! I can't even hold one without her screaming.
I don't care for katydids too much either. They resemble grass hoppers a little bit.

sassy's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Balloons - the rubber kind, not mylar. I especially hate it when a child is handling a balloon because then I'm fearful that they are going to pop it. At least I know I'm not alone because Oprah shares my fear.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not afraid of anything really. Big spiders bother me but I am not afraid of them. My boyfriend is afraid of earwigs. A guy I work with is afraid of cotton balls. He freaks out if a customer comes through his cash with cotton balls.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heights I hate heights, my stomach goes blllaaahhhh, but only certain heights, like standing on the edge of a single story building or looking over a stairwell. If the place is enclosed and I know I can't fall, then I'm OK. I love flying coz I know I can't just fall out of a plane, you know. Hmmm I think its actually a fear of falling or being pushed, I think its irrational though.

Needles, OMG I shake, I can't breath properly and I want to puke if I need an injection. If on the odd occasion I've needed a filling, I tell the dentist, no needles and he's like ok but if it becomes too painful that you move too much, we will give you a needle. Like
you will. I can't watch them put a needle into me. What makes it irrational is I can watch other people get injections, I used to live with junkies, my fear was what stopped me going down that path, I was my cats get their vacc's I get a wee bit shakey but ok. Oh and I have no problems with getting tattoos, because its not actually like a hyperdermic and it doesnt go several inches into the flesh.
I think my fear developed as a child, the nurses were horrible to us kids, we had an outbreak at school once so they had thousands of needles lined up. Must have been a time thing or something coz they would just stab you in the arm and then get the next kid, tetnus (sp?) my arm would bruise and have a small circle where the plastic tube thing hit my arm. Nowadays when I have no choice, such as an accident at work that needed stitches (boy did I try everything to get out of that) the nurse was not bad, I needed 4 injections inside the wound to numb it and I didn't feel it much.

*Cold shiver runs down spine while typing this*

Sorry its long.