Long hair on feet

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, actually under his foot. Why is this hair so long? Should I cut it?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bakker has the same thing-it doesn't seem to bother him although you would think they would wear it off by walking on it all the time!!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen the same thing on a little stray tom that I feed. Wonder if it's only on the males?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NEVER NEVER NEVER!!!
Those are kitten-feathers.
Didn't you KNOW???

Seriously, those little tufts are adorable, and the cats who have 'em were created with 'em, and no, they don't bother 'em!
The only way they'd be a problem was if a cat was outdoors in an icy environment, or a filthy one; but otherwise, no, leave 'em alone, they're adorable!

And btw, males AND females get 'em. Mostly longhairs.
My sweet angel Tashi had huge ones. Likewise, my angel Kinoko-chan. And my Rani has 'em. Love the kitten-feathers!

auchick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
These are normal...both of my mother's longhairs have them, one is a 11 yr old boy and the other is a 1.5 yr old girl.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tarasgirl06

NEVER NEVER NEVER!!!
Didn't you KNOW???

Seriously, those little tufts are adorable, and the cats who have 'em were created with 'em, and no, they don't bother 'em!
The only way they'd be a problem was if a cat was outdoors in an icy environment, or a filthy one; but otherwise, no, leave 'em alone, they're adorable!

My sweet angel Tashi had huge ones. Likewise, my angel Kinoko-chan. And my Rani has 'em. Love the kitten-feathers!
I like that, kitten feathers! Do you believe he is only 4 1/2 months old? He is huge!

novemberflowers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, how cute.....I never noticed before seeing this post that my medium-haired boy has those, too...I'll have to check my other kitty's paws.

(My kitties are also 4.5 months....they definitely don't look that big!)

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of my longhairs have toe tufts.
Perfectly normal.

And in response to the outdoor/icy weather thing:
NO!

The tufts actually protect their paw pads from frostbite and aide in traction on icy surfaces.
Tufts are natural to the spontaneous Northern breeds such as the Norwegian Forest Cat, Maine Coon and Siberian for that very reason.

I do not know what breeds are in the makeup of Ragdolls, but the tufts are normal on them as well.

bruce&sheila

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They're often called 'snowshoes'. Sooo cute (if a little unnecessary on indoor cats in the summer!).

Bruce&Sheila

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tarasgirl06

NEVER NEVER NEVER!!!
Didn't you KNOW???

Is there any reason apart from them being cute to not cut that hair? Wickett has insane toe tufts and I DO trim his because if I don't he gets the clumping litter clumped to them. He'll play in his water then go dig in the litter and the wet fur causes the litter to clump to his paw. The toe tufts also promote his tracking litter everywhere!

teetee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had to laugh when I saw this...love the photos too. My Teddy has this and my sister always makes fun of his "long toe hairs"...as if they were undesirable or something. Btw, he is a ragdoll, too.

puma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hahahahaha, my little Puma bear has that foot pad hair too! I love to tassle with it and she doesn't seem to mind either. Maybe she thinks I'm giving her a little foot massage.

I haven't trimmed it--although, it does get annoying to clean out the litter clumps each time I can catch them.