Staph infection?

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know much about it?? My step son may have it~he is at dr. right now to see.

He is a football player and has a gash on his leg, and I guess the school nurse looked at it today and called DH and said it needs checked out! Its going around the high school as well.

Does it make ya really ill??

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's sounds scary. Yes, staph will make you extremly ill. I hope he doesn't contract that new super bug everybody talks about. Vibes for your son to be OK.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not to get you too worried...but when my aunt was in the hospital for a respitory infection, improper care transferring her from one hospital to the next gave her a severe staph infection and she ended up losing part of her back and having rods put in.

I'm sure that's an extreme example...but since they couldn't pin it on WHICH hospital exactly did it, she had no lawsuit and has to live with that pain for the rest of her life.

I hope your step-son's infection is minor and heals up nicely!!!!!!

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
things like these comments is why i left another fourm a while ago, as every post someone would make after they made one about something someone didnt like, they would be reminded of it in every post after that.
that was very uncalled for and nothing to do with the thread.

i hope your step son is ok.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have read that the really nasty staph infections that are very resistant to antibiotics are the ones that are picked up in hospitals. The bacteria is exposed to different antibiotics in the hospital but all of it isn't killed so it mutates and is resistent to the ones that it has been exposed to.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The staff superbug is called Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, or MRSA, and it has been in the community for some time now. As a topical infection, it often exhibits as a persistant, angry-looking and very painful "boil". It can also, however, infect the blood and/or the lungs, which is a much more severe scenerio that I, thankfully, know little about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methici...ococcus_aureus

I hope your step-son comes back clean for MRSA and his leg heals well and quickly, Catloverin_ks! Please keep us informed.

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My little sister had staph infection and has very poor circulation, so it was quite a process getting rid of the infection for her.

Staph can be very scary, but it is also treatable with antibiotics.

Hang in there and here's some (((((vibes))))) for your son!

Please let us know what the doctor says!

taterkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My sister in law was in the hospital for a week and a half with MRSA staph infection. She was very sick and had to be given IV antibiotics. She was lucky and the infection was contained in her bladder and did not spread to her bloodstream. The doctors told her that if it hadn't been contained to her bladder it would have been much worse.
I do hope your son is ok. I will send some prayers your way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Luckily we caught it in time! He was put on antibiotic and also given some cream to keep on there. He seems to be doing just fine!

taterkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

Luckily we caught it in time! He was put on antibiotic and also given some cream to keep on there. He seems to be doing just fine!
That's great!!!! Glad everything turned out ok!! ((((HUGS))))

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

Did they do a culture?