Best place to resesrve plane tickets?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm in need of some advice on purchasing plane tickets!

I'm trying to figure out a way to go visit my Grandparent's in Upstate New York. My Grandma has been suffering the past few years with some physical ailments from having a few strokes. Now she's found out her arthritis has moved through most of her body. And on top of that she fell last weekend and fractured a rib. I called her today and she was practically in tears she was in so much pain.
My Grandma and I are extremely close, kindred spirits even. My other Grandparents live a few blocks away and have had enough problems themselves. That Grandpa has Alzheimer's and that Grandma has some dementia also. They are all between 82 and 88 years old.

Anyway, I called my Dad, who lives up there near them. He calmed me down and he's now offered to pay for plane tickets for me to fly there. I was going to drive, and still may. But I get a lot of anxiety about driving and I'd be doing it alone, thought I've done it before. Plus the car sickness! I've had to stop before and sleep I felt so sick. So Dad and I decided I should wait till about September 1-5th or so to come. I have Dr appts next Wednesday and Friday to go to.

So I need some advice where to purchase tickets at the last minute. I'm going to fly out of either Baltimore or Philadelphia to either Syracuse or Albany. I've used Travelocity before for booking my cruise and flight there. But I thought since it's more last minute and I'm spending my Dad's money, I ought to see if anyone knew a better place or if they are all about the same?

Sorry to be so long on this. I'm just trying to sort it all out.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always had good service with Delta. Have you considered a train though? It's much cheaper most of the time.

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i've always found it cheaper to go directly to the airline you are going to fly. Travelocity, Orbitz & anyone of those companines have to make money somewhere. I tried them a couple of times and always found it cheaper going directly to airline. I might be wrong, it's happened before. Good luck, hope your grandma will be feeling better soon.

catgirl2548m

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by psjauntie

i've always found it cheaper to go directly to the airline you are going to fly. Travelocity, Orbitz & anyone of those companines have to make money somewhere. I tried them a couple of times and always found it cheaper going directly to airline. I might be wrong, it's happened before. Good luck, hope your grandma will be feeling better soon.
this is pretty good advise. its not a bad idea 2 use travelcity or expeda 2 figure out who has pretty good prices and skeds since u can get all the airlines in one place that way. but b4 u book do check the airline site direct.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
www.sidestep.com will search *all* carriers, direct from the airline as well as through all the sites like travelocity, etc.

Now, what I suggest is going to all the major airlines websites and see what last minute weekend or deals they're running. You'll have to search under promotions.

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Also, I have found if you want a direct flight it is great to find out the Hub for that particular airport and book with them. To find hub's just goggle airport hubs.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really like Kayak. They search all carriers, and it's a really simple website to use.

Good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by StacyD1987

I've always had good service with Delta. Have you considered a train though? It's much cheaper most of the time.
I rode the train there once. It took as long as driving and I had to change trains, while carrying my luggage in New York City!

So far for non stop flights from Philly to Albany it looks to be about $500 round trip, using US Air. The flights from Baltimore were cheaper, but most had me hop skippin around. Like one had me changing planes in North Carolina! To change planes again in New York!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just saw one to syracuse.. can't remember if it departed b-more or departed from philly, but it was like 175

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
$176 from philly to albany, one way, your range of dates from August 31 to Sept 5..

go to usair.com, go to the left hand corner and click on the link for one way tickets and advanced search. on the new page, click one way, and then put philly and albany in there, and I clicked with surrounding airports.. and then at the bottom of that little area, underneath where you put the airports in, click flexible dates.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, so duh, I guess you're coming back tooo... just click roundtrip and make sure you click "and surrounding airports" and I got $308

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh, and my advice is jump on those tickets, unless you can find something else cheaper tonight, and book them before midnight, which is when the rates change (and usually go up)