Man I hate some people!!!!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was just volunteering at the shelter and there was a gorgeous tabby and white kitty with a Persian looking face and a stubby tail. He was very sweet and talkative, and he was a return. Not just surrendered, but he'd been previously adopted from our shelter by these people, then DECLAWED (which is against the contract they sign), and now surrendered!!!!!

I can tell you THEY will not be adopting a kitty from any nearby shelter ever again!

As well as that, there's 2 more declawed kitties in our "quarantine room" who got dumped at the shelter front door a couple of days ago. They're microchipped, so we could tell they were adopted from a nearby humane society - and they said these kitties were also adopted out with all their claws, and it's also against their contracts to declaw!!!!

We haven't had any declawed kitties in a while, so to have 3 who've been adopted, declawed and returned in a short period of time makes me wonder if there's a new vet around who's declawing and doing a bad job of it!! I'll be asking some questions, that's for sure!

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's VERY fishy to me. If someone is doing that, they would be spending a LOT of money for a certified vet, unless it wasn't certified... Then this would be turning into an animal cruelty case with them testing their declawing techniques.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is HORRIBLE!
I really hope you find the culprit...this is just unnacceptable and those people who DID declaw after signing not to should be at least facing legal charges!!!!

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know why anyone would even want to declaw their cat its beyond me. My neighbor keeps saying I should declaw Tavia and that just won't be happening. Then they said well if you don't do that then you need to throw her outside and well that won't be happening either.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That verifies my stand against declawing. The cat was probably fine and after the declaw started biting or not using the litter pan (as a typical reaction).

Poor cat - hopefully he can recover but this is another reason of the consequences of declawing and the behavior changes/psychological changes that can happen.

Can the shelter legally put in there about a fee that can be charged to those who declaw the cat?

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
i thought there was enough education on these things?? Some people just should NOT be able to adopt pets

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

That verifies my stand against declawing. The cat was probably fine and after the declaw started biting or not using the litter pan (as a typical reaction).

Poor cat - hopefully he can recover but this is another reason of the consequences of declawing and the behavior changes/psychological changes that can happen.

Can the shelter legally put in there about a fee that can be charged to those who declaw the cat?
If there is a fee that can be charged, do you think they would return the cat? They probably just would dump it somewhere.

What goes around comes around, eventually.

Retribution is near.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I don't know how you do it. I would be a wreck working there.
There are a lot of saints on this site.
I tell you what it was hard today. This poor declawed kitty was meowing pitifully in his cage the whole time. There was also 4 other kitties who were mewing at me and I felt so horrible that I couldn't play with them all at one and cuddle all of them I was nearly in tears...

There was a new guy as well, he was some sort of Ragdoll Mix I think. He'd been found as a stray and was so shy and scared (today was his first day up for adoption), but after some good cuddle time in the play area he started warming to me, and was still timid, but was snuggling up to me, and curled up into my lap when I put him there and purred away.

While I was in the other play area though, he was sitting at the back of his play area looking up at the kitties in the cages who were all meowing and he looked so scared. I felt so bad for him. His fur was disgusting, he was covered in flea dirt, he had a couple of little sores on him, yet despite all this, the bits of fur that weren't gross were silky soft, and he had such a sweet, trusting disposition. I got tears in my eyes when I was cuddling him.