Floor-to-ceiling cat tree

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So...I bought a floor-to-ceiling cat tree off eBay for about 50 bucks, relatively good construction, and finally got it set up this week, just in time for a round of gotcha days (Ginger & Ferris') and a birthday (Penny's.)

Ginger, surprisingly enough, is the one that has spent the most time on it. Ferris will only go on it in search of catnip.

Penny actually seems to be slightly concerned by it, and scrambled off when I put her on it. Hasn't been on it since.

I got it mostly for her, since Bengals are supposed to be crazy cats and love to climb. Penny likes to hang out in her "cat cave" on the floor, under an end table, instead.

Cats are SO weird sometimes. But ya just gotta love them.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

So...I bought a floor-to-ceiling cat tree off eBay for about 50 bucks, relatively good construction, and finally got it set up this week, just in time for a round of gotcha days (Ginger & Ferris') and a birthday (Penny's.)

Ginger, surprisingly enough, is the one that has spent the most time on it. Ferris will only go on it in search of catnip.

Penny actually seems to be slightly concerned by it, and scrambled off when I put her on it. Hasn't been on it since.

I got it mostly for her, since Bengals are supposed to be crazy cats and love to climb. Penny likes to hang out in her "cat cave" on the floor, under an end table, instead.

Cats are SO weird sometimes. But ya just gotta love them.
Do you have spray catnip? That may entice them to use it.

Dr Claw still thinks that our kitty tree is a monster, and refuses to use it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Do you have spray catnip? That may entice them to use it.

Dr Claw still thinks that our kitty tree is a monster, and refuses to use it.
I used the spray catnip first, that brought Ginger RIGHT over to it, LOL!

To get Ferris and Penny on it, I used the real stuff (dried) and Ferris and Ginger got totally loaded, while Penny gave the tree a wide berth, silly Bengal!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Boog's Mom

Can we see pictures of your new tree?
I've just moved, and still don't have the downloader thing hooked up to my 'pooter yet, but I took a pic of the three of them on it, but Penny is a blur - she dove off the top just as I took the pic!

As soon as I can, I'll be flooding Fur Pics with photos!!!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

As soon as I can, I'll be flooding Fur Pics with photos!!!
HOORAY!!!!!!!!!! At least Ginger likes it!!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

HOORAY!!!!!!!!!! At least Ginger likes it!!
I know, huh?

Ginger's still maintaining her alpha-kittiness.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Next life, I want to be one of your cats, Betsy.
Awww
that's such a sweet thing to say.

I do spoil them well, don't I?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not all cats respond to catnip. Wonder if Nial uses catnip for his cats - if not, maybe that's why Penny doesn't like it.

If she likes cheese bites (chedder/motz) then lock the other cats in a room and put a few pieces of cheese on the tree house to intice Penny to get on there

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Not all cats respond to catnip. Wonder if Nial uses catnip for his cats - if not, maybe that's why Penny doesn't like it.

If she likes cheese bites (chedder/motz) then lock the other cats in a room and put a few pieces of cheese on the tree house to intice Penny to get on there
I never said that Penny doesn't respond to or doesn't like catnip.

In fact, she loves it, and goes quite crazy for it, meowing like mad when she sees me going for the catnip container. She prefers the fresh to the dried, but will roll all over it, purring up a storm when I put some dried down for her.

I won't feed Penny any cheese, as her diet is very specific. She does not get any people food whatsoever. I'm not interested in dealing with any new loose stool problems, as her poops stink to high heaven.

What Penny is not responding to is the cat tree, very specifically. And if she isn't interested in using it, that's one more place where Ginger can continue to reign as queen.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Try tieing a string with toy on the tree house. Or maybe she just needs more time to get used to it
If she chooses not to use it, I really have no problem with that whatsoever.

I have three other cat condos as it is - it isn't like she doesn't have choices, after all.

In fact, she prefers the refridgerator-sized cat condo in the kitchen (there are pics of it somewhere in Fur Pics,) taking her daytime naps in the sun and playing with Ferris on that one.

I was just expressing surprise that of my three cats, she's the one that is NOT interested in it. That's all.

Ginger likes it, and that's more than enough for me. Money well spent.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give her time. Right now, I'm guessing in her eyes it's this huge THING that just invaded her world. She just has to have time to realize it's not going to attack her or eat her. I took Corky 2 months to get to the point where she would use our cat tree...and she is one of the bravest of the bunch. DH and I were suprised. We thought maybe it was the smell of the wood.

I would just keep putting cat nip on it. Once she realizes it isn't going to hurt her, I'm sure she will go crazy!

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess some cats like certin parts of the trees better then other parts, I notice that with my, I have 4 trees and they don't like the swings, they like the highest part .

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This tree is very simple - let me post a link ... this is the one I bought.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i remember you posting about it before. glad Ginger is enjoying her superiority!

mine are all different - Chip is almost never on any of the trees - he likes either the floor or me. Pixel prefers people furniture. the 3 younger girls are my tree cats.