This Food Sounds Good Except...

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Orijen dry cat food seems really good because it has no grains and has a high meat percentage. But it doesn't have added vitamins and taurine is not in the ingredient list. Plus, the magnesium content is not stated. Is it ok to feed this food? One of my cats will only eat dry food. He won't even eat turkey or chicken breast.

"Deboned chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, russet potato, lake whitefish, chicken fat, sweet potato, whole eggs,de-boned turkey, salmon meal, salmon and anchovy oils, salmon, natural chicken flavour, sunflower oil, sun-cured alfalfa, dried brown kelp, carrots, spinach, peas, tomatoes, apples, psyllium, dulse, glucosamine Hcl, cranberries, black currants, rosemary extract, chondroitin sulfate, sea salt."

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Type it in a search ... many threads about it... Zoey really likes it but the avail locally is an issue so is $$$ to ship

NO GRAIN free falls under UTI health but if not a issue i dont see a problem

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you didn't read the entire ingredients list. See below.

I don't see taurine however and that would be a concern to me.

A lot of folks seem to be really taken by this food but I don't get it. Why is it seen as better than EVO?

Included ingredients that you didn't list:

Chicory root, licorice root, tumeric root, funugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, zea mays, peppermint leaf, chamomile flowers, dandelion, summer savory, rosehips.
Iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate.
Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.
Mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), choline chloride, vitamin A, vitamin D3, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B12, folic acid, biotin.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Personally, I like it better than Evo because it doesn't have such astronomically high levels of calcium and phosphorous. I plan to try it and see what my cats think.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4meezers3kids

I am clueless, except ZEA MAYS is CORN!
edited till we find out what corn it is ...

I like the % ages better and the ingrediant s are IMHO better than EVO and the results are seemingly better

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4meezers3kids

I am clueless, except ZEA MAYS is CORN!
Son of a gun! A quick google shows it is indeed "sweet corn". The Orijen folks have it listed under "TONIC HERBS AND BOTANICALS".

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Me too sorry ... YIKES I need to get that clarified ... it could be something herbal like cornsilk

The number of kittys that have tummy trouble is far lower on Orijen than Evo ... the CA+ and phos are more reasonable

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is lower in protein (45 vs 50) and higher in carbs (15 vs 7) than EVO.

I'll have to think on this.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

It is lower in protein (45 vs 50) and higher in carbs (15 vs 7) than EVO.

I'll have to think on this.
Pm me :_)

FYI I was assured it is a botanical NOT CORN as we think.... I was fwded to the nutritionist and left a message will update when I get a full answer

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

I think you didn't read the entire ingredients list. See below.

I don't see taurine however and that would be a concern to me.

A lot of folks seem to be really taken by this food but I don't get it. Why is it seen as better than EVO?

Included ingredients that you didn't list:

Chicory root, licorice root, tumeric root, funugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, zea mays, peppermint leaf, chamomile flowers, dandelion, summer savory, rosehips.
Iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate.
Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.
Mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), choline chloride, vitamin A, vitamin D3, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B12, folic acid, biotin.
The ingredients list I found came from this web site

Where is the website that has the whole list?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I have a bag here and zea mays is not listed as an ingredient so I will keep an eye out on my next bag
If you don't mind could you post the ingredients from the bag?

Also, did you purchase your bag in the US or Canada? There may be differences in labeling standards.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mschauer;1942979 said:
A lot of folks seem to be really taken by this food but I don't get it. Why is it seen as better than EVO?/QUOTE]

I personally like it better than EVO, because my cats won't eat EVO. Orijen is the only grain-free they will eat.

This is an interesting thread. I'll be watching it to see what Sharky finds out. Thanks for doing the research Sharky!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

I personally like it better than EVO, because my cats won't eat EVO. Orijen is the only grain-free they will eat.

This is an interesting thread. I'll be watching it to see what Sharky finds out. Thanks for doing the research Sharky!
My guys all like EVO.
It is also lower calorie than Orijen (4006 kcal/kg vs 4700 kcal.kg).

I haven't seen anything to convince me to switch especially since EVO is readily available to me and Orijen isn't.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will type it all out when I get home, it is from Canada

Mine prefer Orijen to Evo, given the choice they will eat the orijen, but they love both. They seemed to lose weight better on Orijen than Evo

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I will type it all out when I get home, it is from Canada

Mine prefer Orijen to Evo, given the choice they will eat the orijen, but they love both. They seemed to lose weight better on Orijen than Evo
It is WHERE the carbs come from... Orijen has veggies and fruits in addition to potato so MORE carbs are from them