Introducing cat to the husband...?

gavigan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Marlowe has been with me for about a month now, and he's doing pretty well (some health issues, but that's a long story). He and I will be on our own for awhile because my husband, CB, is overseas.

CB will be back for about six weeks this Christmas, and then again a few months after that. We probably won't be reunited permanently for another year or so (sigh)...

I'm wondering if there are things I can do to help Marlowe get used to/enjoy having CB around during his visits. Marlowe came from a long shelter stay, and it's pretty clear that he's bonded to me already. He loves most people, though, and I've been introducing him to an intermittent stream of friends and family.

I'm worried about stupid little things, like whether he'll get upset because CB might be in his way when we're all sleeping (Marlowe rests at the foot of the bed: I'm a light sleeper and don't move much, but CB might accidentally boot him off the bed)...or how we'll handle me paying attention to CB instead of the cat.

I know I'm worrying well in advance, but I just want this to go smoothly! Anybody else have experience introducing an SO? Thanks!

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey! I don't know too much about cats, but an idea popped into my head: maybe if you have any clothes or bedding that smells particularly like CB, you can let Marlowe smell it (maybe put it in his bed or a popular napping spot) and then he can get used to his scent.
I wish you all the best and I hope Marlowe will love CB as much as he does you...or even more!!!
My fiance is not living with me, but spends the night maybe once a week, sometimes with long intermissions...Ike tends to want to cuddle with him more than me! She probably likes him better because he doesn't do any of the punishing/teaching...just all the petting and scratching!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with leaving any clothes that may smell like your husband out for the cat to get used to the scent.

Also, if your cat has any special treats or wet food that he really likes, let your husband help feed him. Food is a great motivator for cats.
No big loud boots either.

Best thing I can suggest, don't make a big deal out of it. Your cat will pick up some cues from your behavior. And since you said Marlowe seems not to mind new people being about, surely he can adjust.

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jarvis

Ike tends to want to cuddle with him more than me! She probably likes him better because he doesn't do any of the punishing/teaching...just all the petting and scratching!
I know the feeling, it is the same with my fiance. Little Kitty gets excited when he is there. . . I become chop liver!

Let him help with feeding and play. In the end it is really the cats opinion whether he likes him or not. lol but positive reinforcement and lots of love will always help motivate!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you talked about these things with him? Maybe let him know what's going on and how he would like to handle things.

Sometimes we worry about things that never happen