Public libraries

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For some reason I stopped using the public library. But started going back last week (after paying my $11.90 fine)
I've been lucking out and checking out some books I really want to read.

On the other hand-booksellers profits will be going down.

Anyone else use their public libraries??

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was meaning to start going to the library here in town.... but after this weekends flood, I wont be going anytime soon, but I will be once life slows down a bit...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The library I go to has a marvelous lobby-its two stories and the 1st story which is lower has a tremendous amount of tropical plants-some are very tall!!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always used to buy my books (collected them). Then we moved and I had over 400 hard-backed books to move and find a storage place for. We down-sized and the bottom line was - no place to put them. I gave them to hubby to take to his office and put in the cafeteria. They disappeared quickly.

I then started using our local library and I'm thrilled. Being in a small town they get to know you and know what you like to read and I have had them call me to tell me a new book came in by an author I like and would I like to be put on the list for it.
I love it!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Always! I was too sick and unable to go for a few years, but since earlier this year I've been going once or twice a month.

I search for books using their online library and renew them from home. I'm actually going at the end of the month to return my books and take out some more.

I go to our main branch which covers 1 sqaure city block and is 4 stories high. It's massive. It was closed for 2 years while they completely gutted it did an $18,000,000.00 revamp. It has glass elevators, a garden, a coffee bar, loads of online computer stations, and lots of lounge areas.

http://www.cbc.ca/manitoba/imagegallery/millennium2005/

http://wpl.winnipeg.ca/library/conta...nnium/main.asp

http://www.millenniumlibrary.com/millennium.htm

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not only do I use mine, but I used to work there!

I live in a University Town, so public and school libraries are very popular places here...especially with the current technology. I used to live half a mile from my library, you could just go and hang out, read books magazines, they had a great variety of VHS and DVDs and books and music on CDs and Cassettes! I worked with a bunch of friends there and had a blast...I really miss living so close

ilovemykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love the public library. i have outstanding fees right now but as soon as i get them paid i will be checking out my customary 12-16 at a time. i would rather buy them and collect them but i don't have the money. i need a bigger bookshelf as is.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I practically live at the library.
I'm actually going to go there in a few minutes. Our library isn't really big, but it's cool looking and they have a fantastic collection of historical items in the archives.

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I go to the library every other week. I read about a book a week and take out two at a time. I love to read Patterson, Scottoline, Evanovich, and Stephen King.

ilovemykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I go to our main branch which covers 1 square city block and is 4 stories high. It's massive. It was closed for 2 years while they completely gutted it did an $18,000,000.00 revamp. It has glass elevators, a garden, a coffee bar, loads of online computer stations, and lots of lounge areas.

i wish. my library isn't bad, actually it is one of the best in the state. it is probably a smaller, less grand version of yours. but i still wish it was bigger, and that they separated the fiction out. you know, science fiction, romance, westerns, that sort of thing. they have enough books to do it. and it would save a lot of people time.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gave up on the one here in town, all it has is cheap paper back Harlequins, some mysteries, and westerns.
Practically no sci-fi at all, not even well known authors, and the system is rather weak too -it had maybe one or two books by certain authors at best.

The non fiction section was somewhat outdated (not good for science related stuff at all), mostly magazines and even the children's section looked rather poor. There has to be some serious funding issues.

In comparison, the public library in the town I grew up in (1500 people at best) had better selections and the librarian really tried to get new releases in regularly.

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Being in a small town they get to know you and know what you like to read and I have had them call me to tell me a new book came in by an author I like and would I like to be put on the list for it.
I love it!
I took out a book a few years ago, and the librarian said: "You can take that out and it's good, but did you know it's part of a series?" I didn't, so she put me on the list for the first one and then said: "If you like that book, I think you'll like this one...." That was the start of a beautiful relationship.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jean-ji

I took out a book a few years ago, and the librarian said: "You can take that out and it's good, but did you know it's part of a series?" I didn't, so she put me on the list for the first one and then said: "If you like that book, I think you'll like this one...." That was the start of a beautiful relationship.
Wonderful isn't it!

PS - Give Sam a kiss from me.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use them all the time, and have all my life.
I go to a small neighborhood one with great service.
I just bring my list in, they fetch the books and reserve ones they dont have on hand. I loooove the library! Has always been a favorite place of mine.

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, I use our public Library. It's not a great one and I actually prefer a newer one that's a little farther from us, but this is an interesting one. I actually found several Louisa May Alcott books there last Saturday I never had heard of before!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If some of us "older" TCS members recollect book mobiles???
I was in grade school and it would make a stop at the school so we wouldn't have to go all the way "downtown" ( a whole 3 miles!!)
Those were so cool!!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our local library is great, my sister goes with her 3 yr old for their story time each week (stories/songs/crafts) they also have tons of free mini courses that she's done.

I don't have space for all the books I've read from the library, had I bought them!