Yearly Vaccination question

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently received my reminder in the mail that Ansel is due for his yearly shots. Ansel, along with my other 2 cats, is an indoor only cat. He does occasionally escape to the outside world, but he is usually lured back in pretty quickly with the jar of catnip.
Works every time!

This is what is on the reminder.

FVRCPC Booster
Rabies Vaccination 1 year
Fecal Exam Float
Feline Leukemia Booster
Feline Bordetella Yearly

My question is this. How many of you who have indoor only cats do not get some of those things done? I know there has been alot of talk about not giving the leukemia shot if is an indoor only cat. Is it OK for a cat who has been getting certain vaccinations to stop receiving them? I need to call soon and make his appointment for next week.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do FVRCP once every three years, and rabies once per year. The new three-year protocol for the "distemper" vaccination is outlined here:
http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proce...A2002&PID=2615

I see you're doing the four-in-one FVRCPC (w/ chlamydia) and I suppose that's a personal preference. But you really don't need the FeLV and Bordetella at all for an indoor cat and if you want them anyway, I don't see why you couldn't go on a three-year schedule with those as well.

Incidentally, there's also a three-year rabies vaccine, but it's an adjuvanted vaccine, whereas the one-year my vet uses is a modified live virus vaccine, so the three-year has a higher probability of vaccine-induced sarcoma, and she says the risk is lower getting the one-year every year instead of the three-year every three years. Ask your vet what they use.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I only get my cats vaccinated for Rabies, and that's only because of the law. They stay in the house and have no exposure to other cats, and they most likely have immunity anyway because of the vaccines they were given in the past.

The new recommendation is to give "core" vaccines (rabies and the three included in the FVRCP) every 3 years. The others are not considered necessary for every cat. Feline Leukemia is not something your indoor-only cat is likely to be exposed to; same with Bordetella, unless you plan to board him.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only give the core vaccine (4 in 1) and the rabies and now it will be given once every 3 yrs. Ling had hers a few weeks ago. Charlie and Keno will get theirs in December - then all will be on a 3 yr schedule.

I don't give FELV vaccines - only test. Charlie's breeders told me not to give him the vaccine - they only test their cats (the husband is a vet himself).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

I see you're doing the four-in-one FVRCPC (w/ chlamydia) and I suppose that's a personal preference. But you really don't need the FeLV and Bordetella at all for an indoor cat and if you want them anyway, I don't see why you couldn't go on a three-year schedule with those as well.
Thanks for the link. I'll print that and bring it with me to his appointment. Is there a reason why I shouldn't be doing the 4 in 1 FVRCPC (w/ chlamydia)? Please enlighten me....unless it's in the link, then I'll read it....I just haven't yet. It's not that it's a personal preference, it's most likely what the vet recommended.

Thanks for the input everyone.

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 24 cats and stopped doing yearly shots long ago. They get one dose at time of spay/neuter(done at 3 1/3 months old or as soon as I get them if they are older) after that I only go to vet for sick visits(actually they hardly ever get sick..only one goes to vet for check ups every year as he neexds to be cleared for a rx diet) I noticed the ones I gave yearly shots all died very young and the ones who had one set are living 16+years. My cats are low risk cause I quarintine new ones and after that they are inside only cats(no escapes except first cat who got out 2 xs first month he was with us

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SophieC

Is there a reason why I shouldn't be doing the 4 in 1 FVRCPC (w/ chlamydia)?
I don't know. It may be a regional thing. It's very seldom done around here. But maybe there's a higher incidence of chlamydia where you live. You'd have to ask your vet. Sorry.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SophieC

Is there a reason why I shouldn't be doing the 4 in 1 FVRCPC (w/ chlamydia)?
The vaccine for Chlamydia is more likely to cause a reaction than the other parts of the FVRCPC. Since it isn't a "core" vaccine, many people leave it out to lessen the chance of a bad reaction.

purrdy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I only give the core vaccine (4 in 1) and the rabies and now it will be given once every 3 yrs. Ling had hers a few weeks ago. Charlie and Keno will get theirs in December - then all will be on a 3 yr schedule.

I don't give FELV vaccines - only test. Charlie's breeders told me not to give him the vaccine - they only test their cats (the husband is a vet himself).
May I just ask is that due to him being a bengal?

I had both my girls done for FELV, but was trying to find out if bengals need to be vaccinated or as you say, just tested for it.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never vaccinate for FeLV, only the 4 in 1. Vaccinate thru the kitten series, and then one vaccine when they are adults, if they go outside, I may do one more. But I never vaccinate my cats more then twice. I believe it is overvaccinating and that can be very dangerous. ESPECIALLY for indoor cats. Does it even make any sense to vaccinate any living thing against ANYTHING every single year? My outdoor cat gets her rabies every 3 years.

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just curious if anyone knows this......if you give the FVRCP once a year or once every 3 years...is the amount of vaccine the same or is it dosed according to 1 year versus 3 years? I hope that made sense to anyone who knows the answer.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand that it's the same vaccine in the same amount. At least it was in my case. But it may depend on the manufacturer and what they've certified it for. Your vet would have to confirm that.

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I finally got a chance to speak to one of the doctors this morning. She said the best possible source for this kind of info is the American Association of Feline Practitioners. I downloaded the latest guidlines that was released in 2006. It is 37 pages long, but a quick scan through and I saw something about them recommending every 3 years. The doctor told me they go by what the manufacturer of the vaccination recommends. My vet's office only offers the yearly vaccines. She said that the difference between the 1 year versus 3 year dose is that the 3 year one is supposed to last for 3 years. But she said something about studies having shown that the titer numbers were not where they should have been at the end of 3 years. She told me the decision is entirely up to me....but then again it's really not if they don't offer the 3 year vaccine.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We only do the rabies shots (once every 3 years) cause it is the law. Besides that, Tosh and Oreo have not had any other vaccines for a long time. Snickers had shots her first year but we have stopped now. Oreo gets really sick from vaccines.

vettech

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its in the risk factor. If cats are indoors, high rises, and are not exposed to other cats: neighborhood cats not vaccinated and strays, then I feel every 3 years is fine after the cat has had full sets of shots up to 3 years of age. Rabies in Florida is state law to be done every year. We have a 3 years vaccine and my vet wont use is as this particular vaccine is not as safe and can cause vaccine site reaction.
IF your cats go outside unsupervised, then yes all vax including leukemia.
This is just my opinion based on my cats.
Their are titers that can be checked but are full of controversy and very expensive.
One vaccine is FIV. Say someone vaccinates a cat for that then gives him up and he gets tested by an unkown place and they see he tests positive fiv, it is probably due to the titer if the vaccine and therefore the cat is diagnosed wrong.
Same thing with FIP vax, I do not believe in them.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I foster, so I *think* my plan is to do Rabies/FVRCCP every 3 years. No FeLV vaccinating...just random testing of random kitties!

ETA: I think my outdoor onlies will also go on the 3 year plan....haven't decided yet.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I plan on doing the 3 in 1 every 2-3 years, no rabies - we don't have that here.

Originally Posted by purrdy

May I just ask is that due to him being a bengal?
Charlie's not a Bengal, he's an Ociat