Howling at night

cat friend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat was missing for 3 months, but we were lucky and got her back. She has just about recovered from the ordeal, but has decided to howl at night. Before she was missing she hardly ever made a sound. Now, she sits in the windows and howls like a tom cat looking for a friend. She is quite when I tell her to stop, but this goes on all night. I am getting a little weary of being up every hour.

Any ideas as to why she is doing this. She appears to be calling to someone that is not there. She is not friendly with any other cat, but loves our dog.

Thanks.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is she spayed and did you take her to the vet when you got her back?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat friend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes she is spayed and yes she has been to the vet. she is 14 years or age.. In good shape considering what she has been through. We first thought she was looking for us at night, but that isn't the case. Very strange.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would do a few things. I would buy a bottle of Feliway spray and spray around the windows where she is howling. I would also buy a black light and look outside for urine stains around the windows, clean those up and spray the feliway there as well.

Also buy a few night lights and burn those at night. Hopefully these tips will make the nights easier on all.

barkleysjester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

I would do a few things. I would buy a bottle of Feliway spray and spray around the windows where she is howling. I would also buy a black light and look outside for urine stains around the windows, clean those up and spray the feliway there as well.

Also buy a few night lights and burn those at night. Hopefully these tips will make the nights easier on all.
I might have to try this with Barkley, the black light thing especially. He loves to be in the window hollering at all hours of the night, although he has calmed down considerly since I first adopted him back in '04. He also loves to go to the front door and yell at the top of his lungs, although he doesnt do that as much as he used to either, THANKFULLY!! I wonder if the Feliway spray would help with his nighttime screams

vettech

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is 14. Does the vet know she is howling at night? Sometimes when an older kitty does this it could mean their thyroid levels are up. I wouls suggest having a senior blood work panel and her.

Vet tech 12 years
VIsit my blog cathealthnurse.blogspot.com