Could use some "Eat Your Food" Vibes

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Raven has just started on Metacam. If you could send some "Eat your food" vibes it would be appreciated. He's been off his food for several days. He's eating. Just not much. This morning he wanted some FF Gourmet Gold, so I gave him as much as he would eat (normally it's a treat here, but if it keeps him eating I'm ok with it). He only ate the yummy things I sprinkled on top of his wet food this morning. And it was even FF Medleys (which are normally a favorite of his).

He's separated from the other 2 for the day. so I will be able to tell if he's eating or not when I get home.

I'm really hoping the Metacam helps and he gets his appetite back.

I'm stopping for some Nutrical, Clam Juice and canned Tuna (for the juice) after work too.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Come on Raven eat a little for you mom!

Lots of hugs for you.

I know when Jordan isn't wanting to eat F.F. salmon flavor, or Merrick's Turducken usually work. I find he eats better when I water it down & make it soupy so all he has to do is lick it up. If nothing else I will feed him Chicken Baby food. He never turns that down. I hope Raven eats something today.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a fan of feeding FF, but given the problems Jordan is having & knowing that his life may be short, I just want him to eat & be as happy as I can make him. I hate being that way because part of me feels like I'm giving up, but I also know it's being realistic.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he still won't eat, you might want to ask the vet about an appetite stimulant, like cyproheptadine. They really helped when my cats were refusing to eat.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know why the Metacam was prescribed (sorry, I'm not good at keeping up with all the various threads), but I would truly be remiss if I didn't share that per this fda note:
http://www.fda.gov/cvm/Documents/N141219pi.pdf
this medication is only approved for a **single** sub-q use.

Too many kitties on my crf list are there thanks to Metacam..yes that is anecdotacl, but here is another link, especially read the contraindications and the conclusion: http://www.fda.gov/cvm/FOI/141-219s102804.pdf

I second the suggestion re asking for an appetite stimulant such as cyproheptadine.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sending Raven eat your food vibes!!

My Stumpy is also been put on Metacam and his appetite is also on the decline right now. Hmmmm.....wonder if there is a relationship there?

Thanks for the links Pat. I'm printing them and taking them to my vet tomorrow.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Sending Raven eat your food vibes!!

My Stumpy is also been put on Metacam and his appetite is also on the decline right now. Hmmmm.....wonder if there is a relationship there?

Thanks for the links Pat. I'm printing them and taking them to my vet tomorrow.
Please keep me posted. I like the links because they are something solid to "chew" on so to speak.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

I don't know why the Metacam was prescribed (sorry, I'm not good at keeping up with all the various threads), but I would truly be remiss if I didn't share that per this fda note:
http://www.fda.gov/cvm/Documents/N141219pi.pdf
this medication is only approved for a **single** sub-q use.

Too many kitties on my crf list are there thanks to Metacam..yes that is anecdotacl, but here is another link, especially read the contraindications and the conclusion: http://www.fda.gov/cvm/FOI/141-219s102804.pdf

I second the suggestion re asking for an appetite stimulant such as cyproheptadine.
Raven has an inoperable and untreatable Fibrosarcoma tumor on his spine. It's the size of a golfball now.
It's at least doubled in size since the vet looked at it in April/May for his biopsy and other appointments relating to it. His appetite was down and I'm pretty sure it's pain related. The Metacam was just prescribed Wednesday and started his first dose this morning. So the lack of appetite was here before the medication. He is in chronic pain from cancer.

I am honestly not very optimistic about his time left on this earth with us due to the growth of this tumor. The vet gave us a week's worth of Metacam to see if it works. There are 2 specific side effects we are supposed to watch for. If either happens immediately discontinue and call the vet's office.

If this doesn't work, the next to try is prednisone, and i can't remember the last one's name. Anyway, we started with the least side-effects drug.

Given the speed of growth of the tumor and location, the vet (and us) is more concerned with pain control/management than the long term problems caused by the drug.
The most positive time frames I have found for this type of cancer was 18 months, and that was with a cat that had a tumor removal surgery. The cancer came back and the kitty only lived 18 months after surgery.

He ate some canned friskies this evening (he liked Stimpy's friskies better than the FF I bought for him). And I let him have as much Gourmet Gold kibble as he wanted (I keep it in a treat jar). Now he's napping. I also gave him some Nutrical that I picked up.

ETA: the metacam she gave us is an oral dosage.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to read the diagnosis...I hate it when my cats have pain or any discomfort if I can't make it go away. I too well understand how that feels

In Patrick's last days, we were treating his pain from pancreatitis with Buphrenex, and in other situations, I've had Torbegesic (in val syrup) prescribed.

I think with close monitoring, if my vet told me this was the best option for pain, I'd be giving it as well.

I have heard of fentanyl patches for cats I believe...wonder if that is an option? Perhaps one of the vet techs on the board will comment.

ah..I am so sorry...I wish Raven some appetite, and good remaining days with those who love him.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

I am so sorry to read the diagnosis...I hate it when my cats have pain or any discomfort if I can't make it go away. I too well understand how that feels

In Patrick's last days, we were treating his pain from pancreatitis with Buphrenex, and in other situations, I've had Torbegesic (in val syrup) prescribed.

I think with close monitoring, if my vet told me this was the best option for pain, I'd be giving it as well.

I have heard of fentanyl patches for cats I believe...wonder if that is an option? Perhaps one of the vet techs on the board will comment.
I am so sorry about Raven this is very sad. Sending lots of pain free, hungry vibes to your sweet one.

I too have heard about Fetanyl patches being one of the few safe pain meds for cats. I think the "dose" was 1/4 of the smallest patch for a 3 day period? This was for post surgical pain of some sort. I wish I could remember where I read that article, it was probably a good 5 years ago.

Maybe a search on "Fentanyl and cats" would get some results. The patches are nice because there is no stuffing things in the mouth, which in and of itself can induce a refusal to eat.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Stumpy was on the Fentanyl patch 3 days prior to his surgery and 6 days afterwards. The patches last 3 days each.

Stumpy was in very severe pain from his stomatitus. None of the other medications were working on him and we had even tried pain relievers in pill form (I'd have to look up the name on his records). Once on the patch, he immediately started eating again because the pain was gone. His appetite started to diminish about 36 hours after the last patch was removed. We believe that there was a lingering side effect from it.

The patches are pricy: $25 each and they only last 3 days. If it comes to it, I'd pay the $250 a month to keep him out of pain. The vet switched him to Metacam after the last patch wore off to give him more time for his mouth to heal. He had 3/4 of his teeth pulled in one day and had an incredible amount of swelling. He is also on the oral dose. The Metacam is clearly not working as well as the Fentanyl, but I know he is still in a stage of healing and we're saving it for when he gets bad again (his problem is lifelong and reoccurs).

The biggest problem with the patch is that it must be firmly taped to their skin. They tried it on his shoulder blades but he was able to scratch at the tape and loosen it. We had to repeatedly reattach it. When it was switched to his arm and the tape wrapped all the way around it stayed, but then it was hard to remove. We asked our vet if they would just give us a few doses to put on ourselves but she wouldn't do it because it is a narcotic. We had to take him in to have it changed.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im so sorry

Ill send all my good vibes your way
You might try a little brewers yeast on his food, mine really like it. I get it in the bulk section at my grocery store, or they even have garlic /brewers yeast tablets for pets.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night Raven was a lot perkier than he's been in some time. He ate (not as much as before, but he ate).
He played last night quite a bit. This morning he's eaten some kibble as well as some wet food. Last night I gave him some Nutrical too.

I've been having to split the cats up during the day while we're gone. Since Raven's cancer developed Stimpy picks on him pretty bad. For a while the feliway diffuser was doing the trick, but recently he started up again--even with the diffuser full. So for Raven to have some peace, I've been switching of who gets to spend the day with Nabu.

So after 1 day, the Metacam seems like a miracle drug. So we'll see how day 2 goes today.