Diego is missing a toe nail!!!

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know they aren't toe nails but its the only way to describe it.
I was clipping his claws, and although I never touch the hind claws I was going to this time, that is until the first claw I was about to trim wasn't there, just a bloody broken stub of a claw. Broken at the quick, I have no idea what happened.
Its on the baby toe of his left foot, I don't care if there are technical or scientific names for cats parts, to me they are feet and toes on the hind leg and hands and fingers in the front.

Anyways it doesn't hurt him, when I applied pressure so he would extend the toe, but it looks nasty and it is a little bloody. I really can't afford to take him to the vet to have it checked so is there any home remedy type thing I can use to clean it? also any Idea how it may have happened, we don't have carpet, just hard floors. It could be from him always jumping off the cupboard thing and his inability to land on his feet. Or perhaps it happened on the door that he uses to climb to reach the top of the cupboard thing, coz the parts he grips onto as he climbs are 5mm thick so not much to hold onto.

Below are the only pics I could get, they are 3 separate pics even though they look the same.

I appreciate your feedback.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ouch! It should grow back eventually. I'd just keep it clean with soap and water and check when getting out of the litter pan to be sure no litter is stuck in there.

Take him to the vet as soon as you can to have him checked out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Ouch! It should grow back eventually. I'd just keep it clean with soap and water and check when getting out of the litter pan to be sure no litter is stuck in there.

Take him to the vet as soon as you can to have him checked out.
Thanks for the advice, I was/am real worried about it, mostly the "how did it happen" part.

I can't get him to the vet sooner than 1 month which is and I will have enough $$ he will be of age to be neutered. Everyday I fear he will start spraying and I still curse the fact the vet won't neuter him now

Sadly I used the small emergency funding I had, so I could get Ryu to the vet last week.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DIEGO

I was clipping his claws, and although I never touch the hind claws I was gloing to
If you never trim the back claws, that's how it happened. They can get quite thick and long, so it probably caught on something when he was playing.

Nothing too serious though. Just keep it clean and maybe put a little antibiotic ointment on it -he may try to lick that off so distract him afterwards.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

If you never trim the back claws, that's how it happened. They can get quite thick and long, so it probably caught on something when he was playing.

Nothing too serious though. Just keep it clean and maybe put a little antibiotic ointment on it -he may try to lick that off so distract him afterwards.
Yes you are quite right. Years ago I used to do all claws, but I noticed that the hind claws don't grow as fast, so I go out of the habit.
I guess I was supposed to check his claws last night and see it.

I still have some antibiotics from Ryu.

*Goes to get Diego to clean his toe*

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeowch, I bet that hurts. My dog did that once, but he's a Great Dane so his nails are huge. I took him to the vet and she said she couldnt do anything about it, $30 please. That hurt too! As already mentioned, just try to keep it clean, I'd rinse it with a peroxide/water mix, about 50% of each Id say.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really shouldn't be used for more than the initial clean up because it will eat at healthy tissue too.

-same holds for treating wounds on people too.

brittany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

yeowch, I bet that hurts. My dog did that once, but he's a Great Dane so his nails are huge. I took him to the vet and she said she couldnt do anything about it, $30 please. That hurt too! As already mentioned, just try to keep it clean, I'd rinse it with a peroxide/water mix, about 50% of each Id say.
Ouch, the thought of that makes me cringe! I have memories of peroxide as a kid OW. So you might want to have a good hold of him when you do that. I don't know if it stings cats too, but I wouldn't want to risk an angry cat any day!!!

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will just use the antibiotic I got for Ryu when I first rescued him.

As for peroxide well among alot of other things that is not something we get here, well perhaps its a specialty item coz salons have it but.....

Can't even get disinfectant over here, thats right disinfectant. I wanted some to sanatise where Ryu vomited but can't get any. I gotta go around bleaching everything which is a pain. Bleach stinks.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When triming nails - I check ALL nails and clip as needed. The back ones ususally don't need clipping as often, but its good to check all 4 feet

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

When triming nails - I check ALL nails and clip as needed. The back ones ususally don't need clipping as often, but its good to check all 4 feet
I'll keep that in mind. It looks painful although he shows no difficulty or pain when walking.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He could have gotten it stuck on something and had to pull him self free. Could have been carpet, or any kind of fabric. Keep it clean, put a little antibiotic ointment on it and he should be fine. Of course, call your vet first but my guess is that he would tell you the same.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never kept you guys updated sorry. Diego's toenail seems fine now. I will get the vet to check it out when I take him in for the CHOP.