Question of the Day - August 23rd

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Do you have any birthday traditions for yourself or a family member? Do you go to a certain restaurant, have a certain cake, treat yourself to a day at the spa, etc.?

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never work on my birthday. It is the first day I put on the vacation calendar, and it is non-negotable. It's my day.

In recent years DH and I have climbed an Adirondack high peak in celebration (weather permitting).

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The milestones are usually celebrated in a big way - like my 50th surprise party. But usually it will involved calling the celebrant and singing happy birthday over the phone - loudly and badly.

But Mom always get dinner at Red Lobster!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
we always go to dinner at Red Lobster for my birthday and we do mine and my sister's birthday (mine is the 20th and Sarah's in the 26th of December) on Christmas Eve when the whole family gets together anyway. We share a cake too!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH and my birthday are only 3 days apart (2/1 and 2/4) so we celebrate the closest weekend of either's birthday together. Usually who's ever birthday is the closest to the weekend gets to pick the fav restaurant.

Before we moved, we used to have the family join us, but now everyone doesn't want to drive 100 miles, so DH and I just celebrate it by ourselves.

DaniMarie - you are only getting older cause of how you look at things. After DH and I met, we've had so much fun together, we decided that we were NOT getting older - so we started counting backwards. This past birthdays we were 34, next year we'll be 33, and in 3 yrs we will be as old as our oldest child

Must work, cause no one believes our real ages and we certainly don't look it either. All in the mind!

nimbus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, my birthday is the day after Christmas...so I'm always somewhere with my family, which is nice. I don't like birthday cake too much...so I actually haven't had a cake for the past 3 years. BUT, my mom makes me my favorite snack, which I end up eating all day---Vegetable pizza! It's probably not the veggie pizza you are thinking of, but it is SO good and every one I feed it to becomes addicted. I will now share the recipe
!!

Ingredients:
2 Packages Philadelphia Cream Cheese (the rectangular bars)
1 Packet Hidden Valley Ranch DIP powder (make sure it says "Dip", not the hamburger seasoning!)
1/2 or 3/4 cup of Mayonnaise
2 packages of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
At least 4 cups of chopped raw vegetables of your choosing! (I prefer broccoli, cucumbers, tomato, and cauliflower)

Instructions:
1. Unwrap cream cheese and allow to sit out and soften.
2. Spread Crescent rolls out onto a greased/sprayed baking sheet (flat, like you're making a pizza
) Bake as package directions say.
3. Mix well - ranch powder, softened cream cheese, and mayo (put in at least 1/2 cup, it makes mixture more moist, add more if you prefer)
4. Spread c.cheese/ranch/mayo mixture evenly over baked/cooled crescent sheet.
5. Sprinkle on chopped raw vegetables and press firmly into mixture. Voila! Veggie Pizza!!!
6. Cover and chill in fridge for a bit, then EAT!!!

Enjoy! I love it!

-Kristen

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nimbus

Well, my birthday is the day after Christmas...so I'm always somewhere with my family, which is nice. I don't like birthday cake too much...so I actually haven't had a cake for the past 3 years. BUT, my mom makes me my favorite snack, which I end up eating all day---Vegetable pizza! It's probably not the veggie pizza you are thinking of, but it is SO good and every one I feed it to becomes addicted. I will now share the recipe
!!

Ingredients:
2 Packages Philadelphia Cream Cheese (the rectangular bars)
1 Packet Hidden Valley Ranch DIP powder (make sure it says "Dip", not the hamburger seasoning!)
1/2 or 3/4 cup of Mayonnaise
2 packages of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
At least 4 cups of chopped raw vegetables of your choosing! (I prefer broccoli, cucumbers, tomato, and cauliflower)

Instructions:
1. Unwrap cream cheese and allow to sit out and soften.
2. Spread Crescent rolls out onto a greased/sprayed baking sheet (flat, like you're making a pizza
) Bake as package directions say.
3. Mix well - ranch powder, softened cream cheese, and mayo (put in at least 1/2 cup, it makes mixture more moist, add more if you prefer)
4. Spread c.cheese/ranch/mayo mixture evenly over baked/cooled crescent sheet.
5. Sprinkle on chopped raw vegetables and press firmly into mixture. Voila! Veggie Pizza!!!
6. Cover and chill in fridge for a bit, then EAT!!!

Enjoy! I love it!

-Kristen
that stuff is good! I've been looking for a good recipe, thanks

you share a birthday with my little sister

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scott and I do presents, dairy queen ice cream cake, and movie, and dinner that the birthday person chooses and the other pays for. We usually do it on the closest weekend. However, Scott wanted to wait until I could meet him for dinner by a place he loves by his work, we're doing that tomorrow...His birthday was the 14th. I disagree and think we could have just gone on a weekend, but whatever...

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Mother's Birthday is the 2nd and mine is the 5th of Dec ........ we always do something together ......... and I always remind her how I was a late Birthday present for her

rone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No. Although for mom & dad's b-days we usually pick between two Chinese restaurants, and a cake from Swiss Bakery. I tried to reserve a wedding cake 8 months prior to our wedding and was told they're all booked. I like their cake so much I decided to just do a regular cake with my favorite filling.

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In my family, we usually never eat dinner out, but on our birthdays we got to choose a sit-down resturaunt of our choice and drag everyone with us. Themes eventually arose: My brother always did a steak and potato place, and I usually always went Mexican food

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the only birthday tradition I have is instead of a birthday cake I have a peach pie....My mom started this when I was about 4-5 I guess. She asked me what kind of cake I wanted for my birthday and I asked for a peach pie instead.

That is what I have been having ever since. Generally one of my sisters makes it for me, or I get one made at a small bakery down the street from me.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was twelve and my brother was six, we discovered Appian Way Pizza Mix. (Hey, that rhymes!) We both loved it, so two or three times a week after school, I made a plain cheese pizza to snack on, and the leftovers became my breakfast the next morning. (Don't laugh! If you make it right, cheese pizza is a very well-balanced meal!
)

This went on for years, and Appian Way pizza came to symbolize the best aspects of my sometimes-rocky relationship with my brother. Even after I moved out of the house, I would have him over for Appian Way every week or so.

And then... oh, heartbreak... the suppliers that serve grocery stores in Texas stopped carrying Appian Way!

So whenever I went out of state on business, I would slip away to a grocery store, and if they had Appian Way, I'd buy every last box. I came home with suitcases full of it and saved it as a special treat for our birthday celebrations.

And what fun it was! Every birthday, my brother and I would take over our parents's kitchen and turn out as many pizzas as we (and the oven) could hold, flinging cheese around, having flour fights... it was wonderful!
My mom got a picture of us from behind one time, side by side at the counter, bent intently over our pizzas as we raced to see who could pat the dough out faster. You could see the flour flying!

...But I haven't been able to work in a few years, nor to afford travel, so there's been no Appian Way for quite awhile.
I even called grocery stores along the Oklahoma border, which wouldn't be too long a drive... but they don't carry it either.

So my brother and I have had pizzaless birthdays for four years now.
But it was a lovely tradition while it lasted!

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great question...

But to be honest, It depends to the date calendar, when is weekend, try eat at Mom´s home, when the date is on the week just a intimate dinner with DW!...