Memory Foam mattresses

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So, I am thinking about buying a memory foam mattress pad. My DH has chronic back pain, and neither one of us sleep well through the nights. I have a friend who bought the entire mattress on overstock.com, but I haven't talked to her in forever to ask if she still likes it. I am looking to buy just the pad, because I think it will be enough and is a LOT cheaper. I am going to go with the 4" one rather than the 2" one.

Here is a link to what I am thinking about.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...3/product.html

Does anyone here have one or know of someone who does. Do you like it? Is it comfortable? Does it work? They have tons of reviews and most of them are 5 out of 5. I plan on ordering tomorrow if everything goes well. When I called my DH to talk to him about it he said, "well, I would rather order something for the motorcycle".
I replied that I was sorry that I was being selfish and would rather get something that we can both benefit from. he has spent too much money on that stupid bike as it is.

So depending on what kind of feedback I get on here and from other places, it will be my decision now, not his. I know where he wants his money to go. Not gonna happen!!

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the memory foam on top of a feather bed
I 'm spoiled, I love the memory foam Pad, I could tell the difference the first night, DH could sleep on a bed of nails only because he did 21 years in the navy I think those beds are like the floor .. I really like mine, and I got it from overstock about 2 1/2 years ago.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used to use something similar at the hospital for heavy people or those who had skin breakdown and needed to be cushioned.

We didn't find them that great. They get dirty and stained and are impossible to get clean. And 4" of basically sponge is not all that much and if you have any weight on you you will flatten it and be left laying in a hole.

In time it doesn't bounce back either.

My suggestion would be to get one of those beds that you can adjust the air inside. Or a regular firm mattress which is supposed to be the best for a bad back.

I have a waterbed and I like it because I'm heavy and it helps to absorb some of the pressure I would otherwise have on my bones. But my chiropractor is always on me to get rid of it saying that waterbeds and soft mattresses are the worse thing you can sleep on for a bad back.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two memory foam pillows that I absolutely LOVE! My best friend has a memory foam mattress and loves it. However, she said that it absorbs body heat and is much warmer than a standard mattress. I think where she purchased hers, you could try them for 30 days to see if it was something you would like. I can't stand being too warm at night, so I've been hesitant to get a memory foam mattress. If I decide that I might want to take the plunge, I will have to find a place that will let me trial one for a while to see if it's too warm. I'd hate to spend that kind of money on something I'd end up not being able to use!!!

I also have back issues. My neck has been bothering me for three weeks of nearly constant muscle spasms, and my lower back has been bothering me for a couple of years now. I had an MRI last week. I have a bulging (not herniated) cervical disc at C5-6 and spondylolisthesis at L4-5. My physical therapy starts this afternoon...I sure hope it helps! This getting old thing really sucks!!!

ocicatdude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My mum and dad and i have one, they are very comfortable the first night it feels so different but very nice at the same time also have a memory foam pillow too.. i love it

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I went and bought a king size bed last weekend, and one of them that i looked at was one of those foam ones. I tried it out and it was so comfortable, but i was quickly put off when the salesman said sometimes it can take an hour or so for the foam to regain it's shape

I bought this bed instead where the base has springs in the top, a thick mattress and a thinner padded mattress stiched on top for added comfort.

http://www.bedworld.net/beds_mattres...ed_Double.html

It was like lying on a bed of feathers!!

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was advised after doing much research to not buy the full memory foam mattress, but to put a thick memory foam pad on top of a spring mattress...as this offers just the right amount of support without problems.

We are getting ours in about 10 days.

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was also contemplating buying a memory foam mattress. But, after much research, I decided it wasn't such a good idea. My DH gives off tons of heat while he sleeps. So, the memory foam mattress is not a good thing for such people. The memory foam holds the heat, thus making for a sweaty night's sleep. Unlike a traditional mattress, it is not suggested to spot clean memory foam (or so the salespeople told me). So, for us, the investment we'd make in purchasing the mattress just wasn't worth it.

I did, however, purchase the memory foam mattress topper. For us, it works great (yes, I do get a better sleep with it). But, I wonder just how long it will last for us -- it's been almost 1.5 years so far and it's still in good condition.

One more thing to think about is whether or not your cats sleep in bed with you. If they do and they have claws, they will leave puncture marks in the foam.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried the less expensive regular convoluted foam pads? I use two thick ones, and buy king-size sheets to allow room for the pads on my queen-size bed. I find the plain foam pads extremely helpful!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last December DH and I ordered 2 memory foam mattress toppers from overstocked.com, we went with the set of 2 4" (came with 8 foam pillows
).
Overstocked was very quick at processing and shipping out the order, however we went with standard US mail shipping.... which took their time because the toppers were in very large heavy boxes and we had to pick them up at the post office. It's you're choice however if you wish to spend an extra $65 or so for UPS.

The pads are great, they've helped a lot with pain I get in my pelvis, knees, and shoulders - seems like there's a lot less pressure on those joints now.
However, I do suggest that you get something to cover the pads with to prevent any staining. We had a soft quilted cover already so we just put that over the pads. A blanket on top of the pads but under the you fitted sheet would probably work just as well.

Also, I don't recommend sitting in the bed with the topper on it. You will sink and it doesn't feel that great on the back.

The foam itself bounces back rather quickly. In fact when ever the pads are uncovered Sho loves to kneed them and watch his foot indentions flatten back out. Tomas likes the feel of it under his claws. So watch your cat(s) around the pad.

Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

My physical therapy starts this afternoon...I sure hope it helps! This getting old thing really sucks!!!
Exercise helps some, but it's not a cure all.
Good luck on the PT though. I'm sure your physical therapist will tell you this, but if you start to hurt, don't push yourself.

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I work for a furniture company, I have aquired a lot of knowledge about beds.

1. Memory Foam reacts to body heat
2. There are no mattresses that are all memory foam, as you would sink to the bottom.

So, don't buy the 4" pad because you could end up finding it difficult to move out of your indentation on a hot night. Mattresses usually only have 2" of memory foam in anyway, the rest is just normal foam, or springs, depending on which brand.

Also, it you are a usually hot at night, these types of beds will make you hotter.

Also, firmer mattresses are better for bad backs, not soft ones, but if you get a really good quality brand the memory foam should be firmer in the first place.

Advice: Buy a 2" pad to begin with because if you don't get on with it, you still have a normal bed to sleep on. If you really like it then you know you can save for a whole mattress.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a 2 inch memory foam pad for the bed and I love it. I have back pain and I think it really helps.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO the memory foam and those sleep number beds are worse for a bad back as it has NO support. Your body molds into the mattress.

I know a lot of people have back problems from years of sleeping on water beds which were supposed to be the same idea of "comfort".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OK, so I appreciate all of the feedback!! Thanks for the link Natalie_ca. I have done lots of research now, called a friend who has one, and have decided that I am going to get the 3" Serta mattress topper. I think. I dunno. Should I get 4" or 2"? Someone just tell me what to do! This is a difficult decision!!

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I know a lot of people have back problems from years of sleeping on water beds which were supposed to be the same idea of "comfort".
Eewwww. I *HATE* waterbeds. They've been my nemesis as far as beds go for YEARS.

But memory foam has been nothing but comfortable and helped me sleep, whereas I have severe insomnia, so I'm all for it!

brittany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Samantha1979

Does anyone here have one or know of someone who does. Do you like it? Is it comfortable? Does it work? They have tons of reviews and most of them are 5 out of 5. I plan on ordering tomorrow if everything goes well. When I called my DH to talk to him about it he said, "well, I would rather order something for the motorcycle".
I replied that I was sorry that I was being selfish and would rather get something that we can both benefit from. he has spent too much money on that stupid bike as it is.

So depending on what kind of feedback I get on here and from other places, it will be my decision now, not his. I know where he wants his money to go. Not gonna happen!!
I had a mattress pad for about two years and it was amazing! I sleep very poorly in general and the memory foam pad definitely helped! Now I have a new mattress that is supposed to be scientific or something, but since I couldn't justify a whole new mattress while I was in college, the pad worked totally fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good to know. I ordered it earlier. And two sets of sheets. We have a king size bed and it is hard to find sheets that won't break the bank. I think we have two sets that I rotate through. One I like, and one I tolerate. The ones I have are cheapies, so I will see how theirs are. I am so excited! I LOVE bedtime!! although it is 3:30 and I am still cleaning....

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We bought our mattress from Sams Club (It has to be a great quality as my hubby and I are both VERY BIG FOLKS!) We have had the set for almost 8 years and it is still in great condition.
We did buy a 1" Memory Foam topper ($60 for a queen size at Walmart) and the best mattress pad we could get from there for around $30. The mattress pad keeps the memory Foam from making us feel too warm...and can be washed.
You would`nt think just 1" of M F would make a diff.....but it sure does!!!
Linda