New word in dictionary

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone ever heard the word crunk before? It's a term rappers use meaning crazy drunk.(silly isn't it) Well I just read that it's going to be added to webster's dictionary. That's just crazy.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never heard of it. Actually, I'm quite tired of seeing all of the "new age" slang and hip hop type talk incorporated into our language dictionaries.

babygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard about it. I think its stupid that they are going to add it to dictionary. I don't think I'll ever use that word.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Swedish chef ghettorised- wait for the water to fazizzle then throw the chazicken in the pot and stir it real good yo!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

Swedish chef ghettorised- wait for the water to fazizzle then throw the chazicken in the pot and stir it real good yo!!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why the objections... a lexicographer's job is to describe language as it is used, and if enough people use the word 'crunk' then someone is going to want to find out what it means. What, are they only supposed to put words they like in the dictionary? It doesn't magically become mainstream 'standard' English because someone put it in the dictionary.

nimbus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh jeez...I wonder when they'll add "beotch" to the dictionally.

-Kristen

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nimbus

Oh jeez...I wonder when they'll add "beotch" to the dictionally.

-Kristen
I thought it was biatch?

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know of the word crunk.
I agree it needs to be defined somewhere for those new to it.
BUT, I hate it.

Hate hate hate it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Why the objections... a lexicographer's job is to describe language as it is used, and if enough people use the word 'crunk' then someone is going to want to find out what it means. What, are they only supposed to put words they like in the dictionary? It doesn't magically become mainstream 'standard' English because someone put it in the dictionary.
I'm not objecting it. I just wanted to share with everyone

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Woooop let's get crunk.

Yea just another stupid word and thats why English is the hardest language in the world to learn.

I remember years ago I was at a supermarket and I was looking at my receipt and there was the word spac. I was like what on earth is spac? it was the abbreviation for the brand name superpac. Suddenly I said to whoever was with me at the time (mum I think) thats a spac word. I was saying it to mean spastic. Well a few years down the track when I'm at high school, theres a whole new word going around which means spastic....... you guessed it, it was spac. Not sure its in a dictionary yet.

Silly how that crap catches and then becomes popular.