Calling all Mac Users... any idea how I can fix this?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I posted in a Mac technical forum about this, but not a soul has replied... so I wonder if someone here might have the answer for me:

I'm running OS 10.4.8 on a Mac Mini with a dial-up internet connection. Last week, I had a connection problem that eventually turned out to be on the ISP's end, but in trying to troubleshoot it, I poked around in some areas of the computer that I normally stay safely away from. I don't think I changed any settings...

But ever since then, I am stopped dead in my tracks every 30 minutes by a message from Internet Connect, reminding me that I'm still online and asking whether I want to stay on or disconnect.

Every. Thirty. Minutes. AUGH!

I've gone through preferences and can't find any way to turn this obnoxious little message off... but there's got to be one! Any ideas?

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't tell you how many nights I used to lose fixing my Mac after poking around!
Always, I could always fix anything by reinstalling the original software.

You need the original disks. Put the first disk in, and select "custom install." Then select whatever the internet connection software is called. It will replace only the software and leave all your settings, etc. intact, unless you do what used to be called a "clean install." (DON'T do that.)

Did you try this forum? I'm not affliated, just a happy member. It's the best Mac forum. Tell 'em SwampWitch sent you.

http://www.mac-help.com/forums/index.php

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Worriedmommy

I found this that may help: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=219291
You are a GENIUS! That's actually the forum I posted my question in, but I didn't find that thread -- and it is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thank you so much!

And SW, thank you for that forum link -- it does look like a good place, and I'm sure it will come in handy!

You guys are the best!