I got attacked by a dog today

tiger1206

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This Morning I was out to go get my mail at my mailbox, it is about 1-2 houses away. The neighbors across the street have two large dogs. They are always off the leash. Well they are both outside apparently, as I didn't see them until they came at me, no owner in site and they come charging at me, growling and barking, I was scared out of my mind! One turned away but the other one got my leg and kept coming at me and I guess maybe I was screaming and crying so loud, it ran back home. The neighbor then closed his garage door, didn't even come see if I was okay!
My DH came out cause he heard the screaming and called the police, the fire dept came, cleaned it up said I should be okay since I just had a tetnus shot 2 months ago. It is pretty much a puncture wound and is pretty swollen and really sore! Animal Control came. They weren't going to take the dog because no prior complaints, but since his rabies was expired, they took him. He is quarantined for 10 days and then the owner can reclaim him, but they said he may not. The most upsetting thing for me is, I usually have my 8 year old go get the mail, while I wait by the door as he LOVES to do it, but he was still sleeping, so I did it. I just THANK god it wasn't him, and it was me. It was the most frightening thing I have experienced in my life. I can't even stop crying about it

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you get any recommendation to see a doctor?? I knw several yrs ago when I was bit by one of my cats-my arm wrist puffed up really quickly and I went to doc and he put me on antibiotics for 10 days. Your leg is going to hurt even more tonite.
Did the homeowner receive any type of citation??
Try to relax tonite.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiger1206

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think the only citation he got was for the rabies not being current, they said they couldn't citate him for "off-leash" because they didn't see it themselves.

I'm still upset over the whole thing, I love dogs so much, but now I am totally freaked out. I had to go outside earlier to get the trash cans and my son freaked and wouldn't let me go outside.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate irresponsible people. These probably aren't bad dogs, they've just been made bad by poor ownership. Hopefully this has shown them what can happen, and will make them be more carefull. Thank goodness the dogs didn't go after your child, that would have been horrible.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no! I'm so sorry that happened! Thank GOD it wasn't your son! I hope Animal Control will keep an eye on the area. I'm guessing they are too busy to do that. Maybe neighbors should start calling when they see those dogs (if he can/does go to claim him) off leash like that.

I hope your leg is feeling better soon!

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH MY! I'm SO SORRY that happend to you! & SO thankful at the same time, just as you are, that your son WAS sleeping, so that you did get the mail instead, as that dog would have done so much more damage to a child, mentally & physically.

I certianlly would recommend visiting a doctor tomorrow to get on antibiotics. I know when my friend was bit by a dog, she was told to go to the ER & at that time they prescribed her antibiotics to prevent infection of the wound.

Certianly rest up tonight. You have had a rough day.

tiger1206

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
nope, not at all. After the dog bit me and the dogs ran back to the garage, he closed the doors real fast, and has not even come over to apologize.

xlpooper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a poor excuse for a dog owner. Won't he get in trouble for expired Rabies?

xlpooper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take the jerk to small claims court, for pain and suffering. He might think twice if it hits him in the pocket book. That is so disgusting he didn't even apologize to you. What an awful neighbor.

tiger1206

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i'm seriously thinking about it, they just moved in about 4 months ago. I'm just a little scared to because his 21 yr old son who lives with them is pretty rough if you know what I mean (we live in a very nice neighborhood though) and I don't want any retaliation

missourigrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh that's so scary!
I'm glad you're ok and that your son didn't go get the mail. It sounds like those people really need to keep their dogs on a leash or fenced in. I don't like it when owners let their dogs run free. You just never know.

pjk5900

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds like a horrible & painful experience!

I would imagine you will need an antibiotic!

I would go to the dr. & send this neighbor a copy of the bill.
If they don't offer anything at all I would go to small claims court.

Hope you feel better soon!
Patty

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And what infuriates me is that it's the dog who is suffering, and may even end up euthanized, for a stupid, irresponsible owner who didn't keep him on a leash! Apparently didn't give him any training, either.

I hope you don't get an infection from this -- if you see any signs of infection at all, please go to the doctor right away.