Scoopers?

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do you use at a litter scooper? I have this flimsy, cutesy little thing shaped like a cat. Takes forever to scoop two large boxes. I use the scooping litter.

I think something shaped like a dustpan with slots in it would be awesome. Anyone have any great scoopers you would recommend?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a medium size hard plastic one. But the metal slotted ones you get in the household utensils would work better. The plastic ones can and do break!

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Sister is the Manager of "Dollar Tree" here in town so everytime they get a new kitty item in she calls me.

I have a hard plastic scoop that's the size of a small shovel
...it works great for cleaning three LARGE boxes....and if it breaks I'm only out $1.
I actually bought three just to have extras on hand.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I picked up a plastic scoped for about $2 from the reject shop (discount store) it's very strong, good sized handle, slots to sift the litter through and the scoop itself is about 10cm wide, enough to pick up the biggest of poops, even a dogs one if you like. You don't need something fancy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions, guys
I just need something bigger and stronger now that I am using the Rubbermaid tubs for litter boxes. That little thing takes forever to sift thru 21 pounds of litter. The one I have is small and flimsy. Will need to check all these out.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hate hate HATE my scooper and told DH that tomorrow night's shopping trip we ARE getting a new one!!!!!
(I've been complaining for three weeks now)

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Actually , speaking of which, does anyone have any advice on a scooper that the little tiny pieces of "clump" don't fall through.

I have the above linked scooper from Petco ^^ up there and the little pieces fall through and it drives me nuts.

Any other ideas?

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Quote" Actually , speaking of which, does anyone have any advice on a scooper that the little tiny pieces of "clump" don't fall through"

I have same problem here. My kitty gets UTI and very small pees,
so I can't all those little pieces out of the box and soon it smells.
I have a new Petco just opened and I spoted a metal scoop.
One it wont break and two looked better on getting small pieces.
I am going to look at it again on Saturday. It if is a good one
I'll let you know. Oh, also I ordered a large handled metal one
from Dr. Foster and Smith it is huge, with long handle,
but again the small pieces are not going to get scooped out.
After I got it I didn't even use it, but I think it will be expensive
to return to get my money refund.:

paulena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I have a medium size hard plastic one. But the metal slotted ones you get in the household utensils would work better. The plastic ones can and do break!
I do have the metal one, and it works great, I also have the same one as above and I had much rather use the one from the household utensils. It has a longer handle!!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't say enough good things about the Durascoop I bought at Petsmart. It's very sturdy, made of metal and can handle the pounds of litter we've got in the rubbermaid boxes. Stan is an aggressive digger and a guy who likes to pee on the bottom of the box, so I try to keep them full.

DH kept complaining that the plastic scoop wasn't up to it so I got this one. It's been fantastic although it was pricey.
http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...N=2033737&Ne=2

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've got the Feline Pine scoop, even though I'm not using FP anymore!
Well, I've got 2 or 3 of them for all my LBs.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Got a new scoop last night.
It's smaller with smaller holes to hopefully grab all the little "droplets" that sometimes slip through.
Got it at Petsmart. There was an absolutely precious one at Petco that had little hearts as the holes... LOL my DH said we're not paying twenty bucks for a pooper scooper.

We shall see this morning when I do my morning scooping!!!!

(isn't it funny the things we as cat lovers get excited about!?)

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to Walmart and looked through their cooking utensil section. I found a heavy wire mesh scoop like thing with a wooden handle (not the one that usually comes with woks for stir-frying.) Unfortunately, the holes are fairly large, so it lets tiny bits through. Two of my cats are CRF, and have huge, heavy pee balls, so this works great for me. I use a regular light weight plastic scoop with slots to go after the tiny bits and pieces that get through the wire scoop.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At the shelter where I volunteer, they have a scoop with finer holes - it does get more of the little bits, but it takes forever to scoop one small pan of litter. They also use a fine clay litter and it reeks! I bought them a bag of World's Best for the tiny kittens because I hate the thought of them using clay litter. I use World's Best and I never seem to get the little bits with this litter so I just use a regular hard plastic scoop which cleans very well and have no odour.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

I went to Walmart and looked through their cooking utensil section. I found a heavy wire mesh scoop like thing with a wooden handle (not the one that usually comes with woks for stir-frying.) Unfortunately, the holes are fairly large, so it lets tiny bits through. Two of my cats are CRF, and have huge, heavy pee balls, so this works great for me. I use a regular light weight plastic scoop with slots to go after the tiny bits and pieces that get through the wire scoop.
What a good idea!!!!!!!!!!! I'm definitely going to check this out!!!!!