Bathing a cat?

tigerlord

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
While I was visiting the kitten, two of which I will adopt in around 6 weeks, I asked the breeder if bathing was necessary.

She told me there were two schools of thoughts on the matter, but that she did bathe her cats (not the kitten though). The Siamese mother had the softest hair... and what a beautiful cat too.

I always thought cats hated water???

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats do not hate water - but they don't volunteer (in most cases) to go swimming.

I show cats, so they get baths before a show. I've also washed non-show cats a few times a year. If you start them as kittens then they usually are not so bad as adults if you need to wash on a regular basis (like elderly cats who can't keep clean).

I've washed kittens as young as 5 weeks old with no problems.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I always bathe my cats, Mittens gets jealous if I bathe Cassy and vice versa-I have to wash them on the same day.
They are not show cats, but look like show cats when I'm done. They get a bath every 2/3 weeks.

They don't love their baths, but, they do love it a couple of hours later when they are fluffy and clean. I wrap them in a towel like a baby-great time to clip those claws.

Cats do wash themselves, but being like rug rats, they get dusty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigerlord

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That must be why the mommy was so soft...

Any premium soap I can use???

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Any type of soap will, as long as it is mild. No purfumes or synthetics. Don't use dog shampoo! As a matter of fact, today, instead of using handmade soap on my cats, I got lazy and used dawn. Don't wash their faces, they do that themselves. Just a drop of soap will do, not too much. Rinsing very well with lukewarm water is very important.

I have used human shampoo, without any problems.

Wash the cat as you would a baby. Keep water temps lukewarm.

On some days I could almost see myself in my cats' black fur!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They generally do, and they do such a wonderful job of keeping themselves washed and clean that there's no need to bathe them unless they get into something really awful
, or maybe have a bout of the "runs" or something like that.

xlpooper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats would hate me if I made them take a bath, good luck.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would use Pantane or Nexxus (shampoo and conditioner) - not the 2 in 1 kind tho - separate conditioner.

Be sure to rinse, rinse and then rinse again

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigerlord

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Isnt Nexxus and Pantene for humans??? If so I'd rather use Kerastase - my mother works for L'Oreal, those shampoo are the gem of shampoos

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I would recommend checking with your vet for a shampoo that is made specifically for cats. Not all human shampoos are safe for animals. Make sure you don't buy any with tea tree oil in them as this can be toxic to cats. Better safe than sorry.

If you do end up giving your kitten a bath, we love pictures.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by charliefarley

keep meaning to bath charlie but not sure if the flesh could stand it

Good luck and let us know how you get on
Aw, come on, be brave! Have the water in the sink/tub/ ready. Fetch Charlie, then GO FOR IT. No hesitations! Don't let him boss you, YOUR in charge.

Charlie will thank you later!

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bathe my cats also. I have 2 show cats that get bathed almost every week and I also have a cat that gets medicated bathes every other week in the fall because of her skin allergies.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Nexxus/Pantane are for humans but I used both on my rexes with no problems - they were better then some of the cat shampoos

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not all cats hate water. Some just don't like the sound of it running. Others really do hate it. I've seen cats that will jump right in the tub. Jake is one of them. If your cats are short hair and good groomers, I probably wouldn't bother bathing them. I only bathe mine occassionally, because they have long, thick fur. From what I've seen, Siamese are very good groomers and have nice shiney coats.

I don't recommend using human shampoos on cats and especially kittens. Some people do use them with out any known problems but it's not worth taking the chance. And some cats may be more vulnerable to having issues. Cats absorb through their skin and what is harmless to humans may be harmful for a vulnerable cat. Human shampoos often contain things such as tea tree oil that can be very toxic. Use a conditioning cat/kitten shampoo and follow by rinsing with 1-2 tablespoons of white vinegar to a couple gallons of water. The vinegar helps to rinse all the shampoo out and helps to restore ph balance of the skin.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just read your pages about your beautiful cats and about Transfer Factor. AMAZING. My deepest condolences to you all on your loss of beautiful Hallie.
And my admiration and congratulations go out to you for saving Jake. You're truly a loving cat caregiver and we KNOW they're worth it.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

...follow by rinsing with 1-2 tablespoons of white vinegar to a couple gallons of water. The vinegar helps to rinse all the shampoo out and helps to restore ph balance of the skin.
This is a great tip. I started rinsing with a vinegar-water solution this last year. It leaves the fur nice and squeaky clean and smells wonderful!! My girlfriend in college rinsed her hair with vinegar, too, so I'm probably biased.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tarasgirl06

Just read your pages about your beautiful cats and about Transfer Factor. AMAZING. My deepest condolences to you all on your loss of beautiful Hallie.
And my admiration and congratulations go out to you for saving Jake. You're truly a loving cat caregiver and we KNOW they're worth it.
Thank you so much.

(Sorry for the slight hijacking)

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

This is a great tip. I started rinsing with a vinegar-water solution this last year. It leaves the fur nice and squeaky clean and smells wonderful!! My girlfriend in college rinsed her hair with vinegar, too, so I'm probably biased.
Many breeders who show cats use this method. It is wonderful! And it neutralizes smells too, in case your cat gets into something stinky.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm I might try the vinegar with Charlie but not sure how to rinse him with it.

He's washed in the tub and I have the hand held shower head to rinse him off which he loves. So do I have a bucket of warm water with the vinegar in it and dip a cup in it and pour it over his coat? Should that be followed with additional water rinse?