My Sophie was diagnosed with Haliotosis from the vet

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I need advice on how to keep his mouth and teeth clean, as that was the number one concern on our vet report.

I bought a cat toothbrush, a finger cat tootbrush with toothpaste, but this is not working out.

Any other ideas to improve the situation???

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Let her lick the toothpaste off your finger....

Bad breathe( halitosis is a fancy name) .... can have root causes in the mouth, stomach , heart, sinusis ... if you can find the root then it wont be a problem

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did he check his teeth and gums? How old is your cat? My guy had two cracked theth that had to be removed. Before that Fang had really bad breath. the other guys have no breath odor, other than cat food.
This is a sign that there is something is wrong, it should be addressed.
When was the last time you had his teeth cleaned? That may be all he needs.
I would go to another vet, since this one doesn't seem very informative.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

Did he check his teeth and gums? How old is your cat? My guy had two cracked theth that had to be removed. Before that Fang had really bad breath. the other guys have no breath odor, other than cat food.
This is a sign that there is something is wrong, it should be addressed.
When was the last time you had his teeth cleaned? That may be all he needs.
I would go to another vet, since this one doesn't seem very informative.
He's six months. The vet said it's common amongst cats who are losing baby teeth and growing adult ones, but it needs to be taken care of.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DaniMarie

He's six months. The vet said it's common amongst cats who are losing baby teeth and growing adult ones, but it needs to be taken care of.
Ahh yes if he is losing his baby teeth then that can be a cause of bad breath. It should only be temorary until his teeth have been replaced and any gaps in the gums healed up, but it's a good idea to start a dental care regime as it can prevent or delay the common dental problems that can occur such as buildup of tartar and decay - just the same as for us

I have heard that Logic Gel is a really good enzymatic dental product, heard loads of great reports about it, strangely I've never been able to get any, but see if you can order some of that. I believe it tastes appealing to the cat, and although it works better when used for brushing, it can help even if they just lick it off your finger, as the enzymes in it prevent buildup of tartar or something like that!

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I have heard that Logic Gel is a really good enzymatic dental product, heard loads of great reports about it, strangely I've never been able to get any, but see if you can order some of that. I believe it tastes appealing to the cat, and although it works better when used for brushing, it can help even if they just lick it off your finger, as the enzymes in it prevent buildup of tartar or something like that!
You can get it from vetuk

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?mai...products_id=49

There is another site that ships overseas but I forget which one now.

Plaque off is also good - you sprinkle it on food.