TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › declawing and nutering
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

declawing and nutering

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
as my kittens are getting older im starting to think more about that awful time again when i have 2 get them nutered.

i hate hate hate declawing and have never ever done that to one of my poor kitties because its so mean to take away a part of them like that. but why is it ok to clip off their man-bits if it's not okay to clip off their fingers?

someone please help me feel better about this.

thx!
post #2 of 22
Heres a link to explain

http://www.thecatsite.com/Care/177/S...Your-Cats.html
post #3 of 22
Are you also planning on having the mother cat spayed? There are quite a few health benefits in spaying.
post #4 of 22
Hi!

I understand your concern about doing something seemingly unnatural to our cats I was worried too when Zissou got spayed.

Here is the main difference: spaying and neutering directly benefits your cat and indirectly benefits all cats. Declawing is completely bad for your cat and benefits nobody except maybe your furniture.

Intact cats have more health problems, and also get very stressed out by being 'in season' all the time but not mating.

Also, tomcats spray
post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbysMom View Post
Are you also planning on having the mother cat spayed? There are quite a few health benefits in spaying.
yes. ill do that 2 but for some reason i always feel more sorry for the boys. they look so sad after.
post #6 of 22
They won't know any different because you get them done before they mature.
post #7 of 22
We do see your point Catgirl Both are taking away what a cat naturally does. Good thing there are so many benefits of neutering. Our boys looked sad afterwards but lucky its a one time only surgery...

Our cat Sage got neutered and the next day we went to pick him up at the Vets office. All the vets were smiling at us. They said that right after his surgery Sage went & hid under the towel the entire time he was in the cage until they went & got him so he could come home. They all thought he was the cutest thing


Declawing is never a good idea! Neuter & Spay just don't declaw Cats can't get overpopulated by having claws...
post #8 of 22
Hehe Im getting Osiris neutered tomorrow and I feel mean taking his little man bits but I know it is for the best (dont want spraying Ill take scratches and ruined furniture anyday over spraying). I think there are less side effects/long term issues to removing man bits than there are vs declawing. Declawing can bring on arthritis, behavior problems, lameness, depression, etc...
post #9 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie23 View Post
Declawing can bring on arthritis, behavior problems, lameness, depression, etc...
my dad says hed be depressed if he was nutered, lol!

seriously, tho, thx for everyone's advise. i think zissusmom said it best: declawing is for the owner and nutering is for the cat.

post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by catgirl2548m View Post
my dad says hed be depressed if he was nutered, lol!

seriously, tho, thx for everyone's advise. i think zissusmom said it best: declawing is for the owner and nutering is for the cat.

LOL I would be depressed too. Though Osiris is losin it before he gets to usin it. Therefor he wont know what he is missing other than his man bits wont be there any longer!
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by catgirl2548m View Post
yes. ill do that 2 but for some reason i always feel more sorry for the boys. they look so sad after.
If they look sad after, it is simply because they are still groggy from surgery. If they are always sad looking afterwards, then it is a coincedence or maybe they need to be playwith more Cat have no way to comprehend what has happened to them. Females don't get depressed that they can't have litters and males don't get embarassed that they are any less of a man. they just con't think that way. That is purely human emotions played off onto the cat.
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katz4Life View Post
Cats can't get overpopulated by having claws...


So true.
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiemac View Post
They won't know any different because you get them done before they mature.
That's right, they don't know what they're missing and what they're getting in return is a warm, loving inside home with food. What they're missing is a short life of stress where they fight and do nothing but think of mating...
post #14 of 22
yup,

there are many health benefits to having your cat spayed/neutered...no health benefits to declawing.
post #15 of 22
A male that is not mature really has no "sense" of what he has or doesn't have (neutering). Maybe a male that has bred might till the hormones are out of his system (a month).

Neutering is a lot more healthy for the cat (and eliminates bad behavior). Declawing is only for the convenience of the owner. It harms the cat more then any kind of benefits.

Try using your fingers for daily activity and then coming home one day with all your fingers cut off and see if it "benefits" you.
post #16 of 22
I had a male cat who was not neutered and he did spray all the time in the house in spite of all efforts to stop him.

I am all for spay/neuter. There are so many cats being put to death by injection because they are unwanted because so many don't spay/neuter.
post #17 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
Try using your fingers for daily activity and then coming home one day with all your fingers cut off and see if it "benefits" you.
well, that was my point. declawing sux so why doesn't nutering?

but i do feel better now that every1 took the time to explain.

thx!
post #18 of 22
I have two kitties. One uses her scratching cardboard, and the other one thinks furniture is for her. She is such a stubborn cat. She knows what no means and will quit scratching, but then just goes behing the chair and scratches some more. I have scratching posts, hanging posts and the cardboard. I'm waiting for a delivery of soft paws, I got her hot pink. We'll see how these work, but I would never think of declawing.
post #19 of 22
Humans get spayed and neutered - does it affect them? No, so why would it affect a cat? But amputation of any kind would affect negatively on human or cat.
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by catgirl2548m View Post
well, that was my point. declawing sux so why doesn't nutering?

but i do feel better now that every1 took the time to explain.

thx!

I have to add to this. If all the cats in the world were not neutered, we would be overcrowded with cats who would be dumped, carrying disease, they would not have loving homes etc. Neutering the cat you love is not hurting them. It is a small operation compared to what could be done. You can let your kitties have one litter if you like, the neuter. It's controlling the population and saving them and humans from grief. It really isn't that hard to contemplate. They heal from the operation easily when they are little.

Now on the other case, having some cruel bint cutting off all of your fingers, because someone cannot learn how to clip their nails, or buy scratching posts, sticky paws, soft claws, or get a vet to clip for them. That is called laziness. I've heard one too many times of people adopting cats, they declaw them, and when they see the kitties are depressed they return them to a shelter.

What kind of life is that?

Neutering is a logical operation with many benefits. Humans do it for the same reason.



/endhijack
post #21 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoriana View Post
I have to add to this. If all the cats in the world were not neutered, we would be overcrowded with cats who would be dumped, carrying disease, they would not have loving homes etc. Neutering the cat you love is not hurting them. It is a small operation compared to what could be done. You can let your kitties have one litter if you like, the neuter. It's controlling the population and saving them and humans from grief. It really isn't that hard to contemplate. They heal from the operation easily when they are little.

Now on the other case, having some cruel bint cutting off all of your fingers, because someone cannot learn how to clip their nails, or buy scratching posts, sticky paws, soft claws, or get a vet to clip for them. That is called laziness. I've heard one too many times of people adopting cats, they declaw them, and when they see the kitties are depressed they return them to a shelter.

What kind of life is that?

Neutering is a logical operation with many benefits. Humans do it for the same reason.



/endhijack
makes sense 2 me. thx!!
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by catgirl2548m View Post
makes sense 2 me. thx!!

Glad to be of service
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Care & Grooming
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › declawing and nutering