Is this right, Im flippin peeved?

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I go to a gas station this morning (which will remain nameless but they are nationwide) and I decided to get a muffin and bagel bites to get me through the day at work... I go to check out (my total was 4.48) when the guy points to a sign that says "there is now a minimum fee of $5 for charge card purchases"... So I got charged a dollar extra and nothing to show for it. My bf and I have discussed this in the past week and he says this is illegal... He told me to go to visa.com and read up on it myself so i do... Here is what it says:

Minimum Purchase
Visa merchants are not permitted to establish minimum transaction amounts, even on sale items. They also are not permitted to charge you a fee when you want to use your Visa card.

If you run into a problem like this with a merchant, please notify the financial institution that issued you your Visa card. These institutions have access to the appropriate Visa rules and regulations and can help you document and file your complaint. You'll find their address and/or telephone number on your Visa statement. Their telephone number may also appear on the back of the card itself.

Im flippin mad but before I totally loose my cool Im waiting for my bank (my provider, its a check card) to open so I can double check on this...

My question is, if this was legal wouldnt all gas stations and businesses be inforcing this minimum fee? Ive run into a few gas stations that wont let you make a purchase if it is under $5 (which I think is bs... money is money) but never one that will charge you an extra dollar. I was off 30 cents give me a break here... I dont care about the dollar but I care that these businesses feel they can establish a minimum purchase amount on me... In that case they might as well make a minimum purchase on cash only purchases as well (its a check card its almost the same thing)... This business wasnt a small mom and pop gas station, it was a well known nationwide company????

Arrrr I cant wait to get the low down on this senario, I wish the bank would open sooner

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought its at their discretion whether or not they let you use your card, with a minimum purchase and I know companies/merchants charge extra because they get charged a fee each time you use your card. I'm not agreeing with what they do though no way.
I want to find out if its the same with master card. Not sure if you remember but I posted saying my vet reckons my bill would have to be 10,000en before I can use my credit card.

Fight the banks and their high charges.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Exactly Im going to call the bank to make sure, cause on the visa site it says that all merchants are not permitted to do so, but it suggests calling your provider for a more in depth detail. I also want to call for my bf's sake, he gets peeved about it too... Though in his case they never charge a fee, this just wont let you make a purchase if its under $5. Even if this turns out legal I still think it is bs... It's a dollar Ill get over it, but if it is illegal Ill be peeved (I dont want the dollar back, I just dont want to be had, if what they are doing is permitted).... Still waiting for the bank to open, lol trying to keep my cool... It was too early in the morning for that scene to go down for me!!!

I definitely think your situation is bs...

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A visa check card is very different to a visa card.

They get away with doing it with credit cards by saying that you can not use them under a certain amount, usually $5. Then say, if you cover our fee we will let you use it. I would have bought a pack of gum to make it up to the $5.

It can be fairly expensive to run credit card machines, I know at work we get charged a monthly fee, a fee per transaction and a percentage of the transaction, which when the transactions are all above $500 doesn't matter so much, but when you get a charge of over $1 on someone paying for $4 worth of stuff, it isn't cost effective

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This was a check card I used, not an actual credit card... Its my cash straight from my checking account. I didnt have time to make another purchase and I shouldnt have to (not to be a brat, but I didnt need anything else) not to mention there was a line of people behind me. Oh and Im not suppose to chew gum (docs orders) or anything with caffine (aka all the add on purchases at the register) so I wasnt going to add it to my purchase.

I dont know??? Ive made purchases with my check card at grocery stores and other gas stations for under $5 all the time, and never have been charged a fee, and rarely ever told I couldnt make the purchase!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So it was a debit card not a credit card?

I find that there are some places here that charge between 50 cents per debit card transaction and xome places even charge you if your card is declined.

I keep meaning to check if that is legal for them to charge you for their banking fees on essentially what is considered a cash purchase.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a visa credit/debit check card. I NEVER use it as a debit, I always use it as credit (dont want the bank fees).

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Despite what Visa.com says, I've learned in the past that there are tiers that merchants buy into.

Gas stations are typically individual-owned, so despite being a national name like Mobile or BP or Marathon, the mini store inside is on an individual basis.

Smaller companies typically do not have sister companies to make up for the expense of being charged on a VISA. From my understanding they buy into the tier programs so that it reduces the cost that comes from VISA. Plus it doesn't make them any money when you buy $1 gum and place it on visa.

I had one liquor store by me that required a $20 minimum purchase...so you couldn't just walk in there to buy a 6-pack with a credit card.

In the long run, since you used your check card, I would just avoid those fees by processing it as a debit card. That's what I do and the local merchants are happy to have me absorb the cost. I feel happy too because I support a local business that way.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will be interested to see what happens. Even thouigh it is a big company, the stations are run by the franchise owner. I don't know how much discretion they have. He should have told you there was a dollar charge before he took it. I would have gone to the ATM machine, and got cash, or asked him for cash back, would that have counted as spending enough?
I hate it when I have to use my card for tiny purchases, sometimes it happens because I thought I had cash, but don't. I generally make sure I have 20 bucks or so in my wallet.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Despite what Visa.com says, I've learned in the past that there are tiers that merchants buy into.

Gas stations are typically individual-owned, so despite being a national name like Mobile or BP or Marathon, the mini store inside is on an individual basis.

Smaller companies typically do not have sister companies to make up for the expense of being charged on a VISA. From my understanding they buy into the tier programs so that it reduces the cost that comes from VISA. Plus it doesn't make them any money when you buy $1 gum and place it on visa.

I had one liquor store by me that required a $20 minimum purchase...so you couldn't just walk in there to buy a 6-pack with a credit card.

In the long run, since you used your check card, I would just avoid those fees by processing it as a debit card. That's what I do and the local merchants are happy to have me absorb the cost. I feel happy too because I support a local business that way.
The $1 extra fee is applied whether you process your purchase as a debit or credit. If I choose to use debit it wouldnt have mattered, he would have charged me that extra dollar right then and there.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

I will be interested to see what happens. Even thouigh it is a big company, the stations are run by the franchise owner. I don't know how much discretion they have. He should have told you there was a dollar charge before he took it. I would have gone to the ATM machine, and got cash, or asked him for cash back, would that have counted as spending enough?
I hate it when I have to use my card for tiny purchases, sometimes it happens because I thought I had cash, but don't. I generally make sure I have 20 bucks or so in my wallet.
There was a sign and he told me Id be charged a dollar. I was 44 cents under the limit (to be exact) and was charged a dollar to that... So instead of making up the difference to bring it to $5 I was charged a whole dollar making the final cost $5.56. The ATM's charge fee's too and there is a $20 minimum withdrawl at gas stations. The only time an ATM doesnt charge a fee is if it is at my bank (the fee is like $2.50 plus). I never carry cash on me!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On the phone with the bank... It is very much so illegal according to the lady who answered the phone. Im about to speak to a representative to see what he says, he is checking into it right now... He is making a bunch of phone calls and calling me back. So we will find out for sure if this is legit or not... Could be and could not be.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The 99-cent stores here have signs stating, "Due to the high fees charged by financial institutions, we will not accept credit/debit card transactions, under $10."

There is one gas station/convenience store that adds a 65-cent surcharge to gas purchases ONLY.

The credit card companies charge the merchants a kickback percentage of the transactions. American Express has the largest kickback, which is why a lot of small merchants don't accept American Express.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katl8e

The 99-cent stores here have signs stating, "Due to the high fees charged by financial institutions, we will not accept credit/debit card transactions, under $10."

There is one gas station/convenience store that adds a 65-cent surcharge to gas purchases ONLY.

The credit card companies charge the merchants a kickback percentage of the transactions. American Express has the largest kickback, which is why a lot of small merchants don't accept American Express.
Ive come across minimums, but never meet this minimum or we will charge you a dollar type deals. The bank guy (lol) is checking into it. Even if it isnt illegal it will be interesting to hear how this works.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

The $1 extra fee is applied whether you process your purchase as a debit or credit. If I choose to use debit it wouldnt have mattered, he would have charged me that extra dollar right then and there.
Then that sounds extremely shady to me. If you process as a debit, your bank incurs the fee since they have to pay the business, thus that is why you're charged.

Good luck with those phone calls. Hopefully someone will put a stop to that!!!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Then that sounds extremely shady to me. If you process as a debit, your bank incurs the fee since they have to pay the business, thus that is why you're charged.

Good luck with those phone calls. Hopefully someone will put a stop to that!!!
I cant wait to find out, who knows if Ill find out today??? As soon as I know I will tell you guys the jist of it all.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

Just an FYI- if I use my own bank's ATM there is no charge.
However if I use a random ATM that's another financial institutions I get charged like crazy. So I only use my own bank's ATM.
I dont get charged ATM fee's at my bank either... and I can withdrawl $10 (minimum) through my banks atm... At the gas stations, stores, etc, the minimum withdrawl is usually $20 and the fee is usually $2.50 +

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

I dont get charged ATM fee's at my bank either... and I can withdrawl $10 (minimum) through my banks atm... At the gas stations, stores, etc, the minimum withdrawl is usually $20 and the fee is usually $2.50 +
Ouch. Can you just start keeping cash on hand? I understand if not. I swear I never have cash and I live across from a branch of our bank.