I have to VENT!!! about this person I saw at the shelter today

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We went to visit our local shelter after dinner today to look at cats. We were there looking and this lady came in with one of the staff wanting to adopt an adorable kitty, a domestic short hair tabby. The following is roughly how the conversation went.

Lady: "So, can I declaw this thing? How does the operation go?"
Staff: "Well, the operation goes...explaining it. However, we strongly recommend that you don't do it. There are other alternatives such as, trimming their nails, nail covers, a scratching post...etc"

Lady: "oh, ok. But my furniture...."
Staff: silent

Lady: "he is so adorable. I am introducing this kitty to other cat that I have in the house. How should I do it?"
Staff: "you should....explaining it."

Lady: "I see. Well, I don't really care about the other cat. He is my husband's ex's cat. I want my own."
Staff: silent.....

Lady: "Oh, do you think this cat is the quiet type?"
Staff: "Well, these aren't pure bred and there isn't a specific trait for them. They are just domestic short hairs."

Lady: "Oh, ok. You know, I just don't want a hyper cat that wants to play. I want one that I don't really have to play with."
Staff: silent....

At this point, I was about to slap her upside the head. I was about to say it to her face "You are getting this kitty for all the wrong reasons!!! You are going to take this kitty back, declaw it, ignore the other cat you already have in the house. Possibly toss him (original cat) out or let him out on purpose because he is not yours or just got into a fight with this new kitty. Once you get tired of this one, you will just toss this one out unable to defend himself because he could've scratched your precious furniture. Go home and think about what you are doing." But I did not and just gave her the look.

Why do these people exist? Don't come into the shelter and adopt one for all the wrong reasons. Anyone ever experienced this before? Did you ever talk to them? I am just mad as hell after hearing that. @#!$^@#$!@#$%@

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by watchcaddy

Lady: "So, can I declaw this thing? How does the operation go?"
Staff: "Well, the operation goes...explaining it. However, we strongly recommend that you don't do it. There are other alternatives such as, trimming their nails, nail covers, a scratching post...etc"

Lady: "oh, ok. But my furniture...."
Staff: silent

Lady: "he is so adorable. I am introducing this kitty to other cat that I have in the house. How should I do it?"
Staff: "you should....explaining it."

Lady: "I see. Well, I don't really care about the other cat. He is my husband's ex's cat. I want my own."
Staff: silent.....

Lady: "Oh, do you think this cat is the quiet type?"
Staff: "Well, these aren't pure bred and there isn't a specific trait for them. They are just domestic short hairs."

Lady: "Oh, ok. You know, I just don't want a hyper cat that wants to play. I want one that I don't really have to play with."
Staff: silent....
Oh please tell me this is a joke..

I know these people exist, but i still can't believe it

That woman should be banned from shelters, if she takes a kitty home that's TWO that would be miserable and in possible danger *shakes head*

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's people like that.....they make me HATE working at a shelter sometimes! I just want to strangle them
I usually just wind up trying to kindly educate them...and hope that they learn and change their thinking...but in many cases i just refuse adpotions to people like that who are not willing to learn/change their way of thinking about proper ownership.
Stupid people really irk me!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

It's people like that.....they make me HATE working at a shelter sometimes! I just want to strangle them
I usually just wind up trying to kindly educate them...and hope that they learn and change their thinking...but in many cases i just refuse adpotions to people like that who are not willing to learn/change their way of thinking about proper ownership.
That was one of the reasons i left. That and the women who i worked with were so detached from their work it made me look like a basketcase when i cried over cats being pts *shrugs*

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG, I feel real bad at the moment because seriously I laughed at this. Not because its funny as such, but because of that woman's ignorance.

You should have said "how bout we declaw you b*tch" and see how she react to that

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

lol man the human race must really upset you

i deal with a guy here, who wife has 2 cats with both of them being declawed front and back, and now they are looking for a Bengal(they are all the rage now) and he wa ranting about 2 breeders so far, wont sale them a kitten

oh yea, i did not tell him why, they wont.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

Oh please tell me this is a joke..

I know these people exist, but i still can't believe it

That woman should be banned from shelters, if she takes a kitty home that's TWO that would be miserable and in possible danger *shakes head*
NOPE, not a joke at all!!!!

If I had a taser, I would have used it on the spot.
and do it again and again....

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The day i g0t teufel, that m0rning i was at the shelter, i was in need 0f a kitty, i had been with 0ut a cat f0r 3 years and my depressi0n was getting w0rse!

the ladies there didnt give me a cat because 1. i was em0ti0nal, 2. i was y0ung, 3 because my bf and i had planned t0 m0ve 2 hrs away and they th0ught we were irresp0nsible!

I cried s0 much, i saw such a beautiful kitty thr0ugh the wind0w, i pressed my face and tapped 0n it and she came and headbutted the wind0w al0g with tw0 0ther cats!

I had t0 leave, i was s0 heart br0ken, my then bf had t0 drag me away. He was hurt because i was devestated, he knew that cats meant the w0rld t0 me right at that m0ment. He went and g0t a newspaper and rang every single cat advertisement! Teufel was the very last advert and he was the last kitty 0ut 0f the wh0le litter! we dr0ve 0ver 100 kil0metres t0 get him, the 0wner knew fr0m the first m0ment that he w0uld be mine!

anyway felt like sharing! s0metimes the pe0ple at the shelters arent kind, but then y0u can c0me accr0ss t0 the m0st w0nderful pe0ple.

If i came accr0sss that lady i w0uld have waxed her hair 0n the head 0ff!

mark kumpf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As much as I dislike the potential adopters questions, I think the staff's answers were even worse. So many lost ops to educate. When we stand silent, ignorance triumphs...

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sincerely hope she was not approved for adoption. At least she was too ignorant to lie about it...unfortunately she may smarten up and go somewhere else.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She needs a fake stuffed cat to sit on the bed - it would be quiet, not scratch furniture and she would not have to play with it.

Unfortunately if she can't get one from the shelters, she will get one from a person offering "free kittens" on the side of the road in the country!

I think I'd have said - "oh we have the PERFECT kitty for you. Wait a min"....then go back and get your stuffed cat and hand it to her. Smile sweetly and tell her "this cat has everything you want in a cat...our live cats don't"

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's crazy.

She would have been denied just from the first sentence at my shelter.

A guy last week was talking to me about adopting this cute blue point siamese kitten. He was SOOO excited. Me looks at his application. He starts talking to me about how his last cat got hit by a car. I then see he wants to still have an indoor outdoor cat. I ask him about it, and he gets really offended. I tell him "but if you just had one cat hit by a car. Common sense would tell me perhaps my house isn't the safest place for a cat to be outside." He is fuming now. I have him go in for his adoption interview. I give her a heads up about him.

ADOPTION DENIED!!!

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel so sorry for the poor kitties that these people actually do get their hands on. Like GoldenKitty45 and JellyBella said- she will just go somewhere where the people don't care about anything but gettting rid of the cat/kittens in their possesion.
Bravo to all the shelters for refusing these people

I just wish they could stamo them with a bigole' DENIED or something on their forehead so they could NEVER own any animal ever again

"You can't fix stupid!"- author unknown < my Moms favorite saying.
I guess we just have to believe in karma

My idea of karma in this case: the women dies and comes back as tuna or somekinda fish. Then gets ate by a cat.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was just a lady who called into the rescue yesterday and asked if we can take some kittens. We told her that we are completely full and she complained that she doesn't know what to do with them. She went on to explain that her cat is an outdoor cat and she got pregnant and she needs to get rid of these babies quick because her other female outdoor cat is pregnant. We asked if she thought about having the females spayed so she wouldn't have to worry about the kittens and what to do with them anymore, trying to make it seem like a huge weight off her shoulders and maybe she would be more likely to do it. (Not to mention the various other reasons she should spay her outdoor cats). She said, "naa having to drive them all the way in to the vet for surgery is just too much of a hassle"....

Some people are complete idiots. If I was the one talking on the phone to her, I would have agreed to take her kittens, if she would pay for the adult females to be spayed. I would happily provide the transportation if she would pay for it.

I think that theory might work, I even thought of somehow starting a service where if someone has a cat that they "simply cannot be bothered" to get fixed or vaccinated, I would happily provide a service to pick up their cat, take it to its appointment and then return the cat. Only problem is what if I pick up a cat in really horrible conditions, and then I have to take it BACK to the owner... still some things to figure out but I think it could be a cool idea.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by watchcaddy

Why do these people exist? Don't come into the shelter and adopt one for all the wrong reasons. Anyone ever experienced this before? Did you ever talk to them? I am just mad as hell after hearing that. @#!$^@#$!@#$%@
Unfortunately they are more common than you think.
I think that's part of why I burned out as bad as I did.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The rescue I work with would NEVER let that woman have a cat. We have a "do not adopt" list where we put down the person's name, info. and reasons why we wont' adopt.

Also, if we know they are going to visit one of the other shelters nearby, we will call and let them know