Ok, so maybe it's not THAT bad

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our IT people at work like to think that they are really progressive and on top of things, so, they have started replacing all the work stations at work with Windows Vista PC's. All except, this is, the computers that actually have to do any work; those are staying on Windows NT.

Anyway, about a week ago, they got me this terribly cute little HP mini tower, it's like half the size of the normal desktop, a model s3123w. And, I been the last week playing with Vista. Now I'm a Linux/Mac guy, with a "windows if I gotta" attitude; but I have to admit, Vista is kinda cool

It doesn't have very many native drivers, and a lot of hardware vendors haven't gotten around to writing Vista drivers for their hardware yet. But for a web surfer or picture editor, it's really cute. And I really liked watching the live feed from NASA today on the shuttle landing on the little sidebar gadget for NASA TV.

Ubuntu Linux is still my main box, but these little HP Slimlines aren't too terribly expensive...might just get me one

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, I'm not too happy with the new Windows Vista though. It's too different and it asks for an okay on things way too much. Although that's a good thing when you want to have the best security but for the little things like common stuff that you do everyday gets annoying. They should make it realize what things are commonly used and are always okay.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol if they know so much, they would have the nasa feed blocked.
live stuff sucks up to much brandwidth.

I work for HP, and i still wont buy one of there desktops, much perfer to bulid my own.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StacyD1987

Ugh, I'm not too happy with the new Windows Vista though. It's too different and it asks for an okay on things way too much. .
it drives me crazy,, i hate it, right now, i even hate it worse then i did win98
xp pro is the best they have done since the dos days.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
its funny... everyone says these things about vista and had me scared about trying it

but i have it now.. and its really not different. really.

i don't get messages popping up asking me if things are ok all the time. once i tell it something is good, it knows its good.

i get more security messages from my firewall than i do from vista. i have yet to be bothered by it. its really not as crazy as some like to lead you to believe.

all of my software worked on it and i have not only mainstream things, but some outlandish stuff too. even all my specialty work software worked on it.

i don't know. so far, i really don't see what the big deal is.
it's prettier than xp... but its not like i had to learn a whole new operating system. for your average joe user, its really not much different.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cool, at least one person did not have issue with it.
Lot of people where stuck with software that no longer worked, and was told they need to upgrade it, for sums of money.

THere are still no drivers for my hardware, (ok granted i have some very high end stuff), i have it set up on another drive, and really dislike it. I am sure after several patches it will be ok .

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been reading a lot about SP1 and the beta testers really seem to like it. Maybe its just the patch youre looking for.

And to be fair, a lot of people had problems with XP until the SPs came out. SP2 was considered the utmost for xp fixes and security... so its not like having things that need to be fixed is purely a vista thing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, the lack of drivers for hardware is the hardware vendor's issue, not the operating system. They need to get on the stick and catch up.

I can't take a homebuilt computer to work. I think they're afraid that my computer would give their computers cooties.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skippymjp

Actually, the lack of drivers for hardware is the hardware vendor's issue, not the operating system. They need to get on the stick and catch up.

I can't take a homebuilt computer to work. I think they're afraid that my computer would give their computers cooties.
Maybe if you got them to cross their fingers or something while they work on their computers they won't have to worry about catching those cooties!