I don't know how much more I can take!

princess-pickle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am SOOOOOOOOO annoyed at my mum!

Right, let me talk you through this...

My sister loves reptiles, since she was 6 she was sure she wanted to be a herpetologist (study of reptiles).
Since I was about 5 I've wanted to become a professional Horse Show jumper,
and my own equestrian centre. You know...riding lessons and stuff.
We're a horsey family as well, my uncle competed and Junior Hickstead, and won loads of trophies. I can ride really well and help out at my local stables.

But what annoys me is, in front of people (I mean everyone) she brags about Abi (my twin sister) being really interested in reptiles and how much she knows about them.
As soon as someone asks about what I want to do in the future, I say some thing about horses, and mum goes, "Yeah,Yeah, Go over and talk to your dad." And then pats my head, almost batting me away.

This is really frustrating, she does it ALL the time, It's like she doesn't want me to love horses! And yet she talks non-stop for half an hour about Abi and her 'oh so brilliant' reptiles!!!

Does it sound like she prefers Abi? Or am I just imagining things?

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
have you spoken to your mum and told her how you feel?
i dont think she is favouring your sister more then you, it could be that horses has always been in your family, so your sister being intrested in reptils is something new, if you know what i mean.
but i do think you should speak to your mum and let her know how you feel.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by XxtashaxX

have you spoken to your mum and told her how you feel?
i dont think she is favouring your sister more then you, it could be that horses has always been in your family, so your sister being intrested in reptils is something new, if you know what i mean.
but i do think you should speak to your mum and let her know how you feel.
Yup, I agree. I would just talk to your mom 'alone' and tell her how you feel. Chances are, she doesn't even realize she's hurting you! Good luck!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be that she doesn't feel like you should be entering into the world of horses, for whatever reason.. Honestly, I have no idea why she'd think that, except perhaps that it's *very* difficult to make your way successfully in the equestrian field. Hunter/show jumping is an awesome sport, but requires a lot of funding, and only the truly elite really get far in it. It's unfortunate but the elite world of horses is for..well, the elite, and the especially talented.

I don't know your situation, but it's possible that you have the money, and the talent. I certainly wish you well, but it just may simply be that your mom sees a hard road ahead of you in that field. Now, if it's worth it to you and that's what you want to do with your life, then by all means, go for it. The only thing stopping you from achieving your dreams is you (or so they say). Everything's possible!

I think Xxtashaxx and mybabyphx are both right, though, you just need to talk to her and see what her deal is. You might have to compromise a little or just tel lher what you think and what you want to accomplish. Perhaps she doesn't realize how serious you are about it? no matter what her deal is, you're not going to know until you actually talk to her about it.

Oh, and p.s. ... GOOD LUCK!!! And keep your chin up.