Banks

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just hate banks

I've never seen a such thing - on the television and the newspapers yada yada they always present themselves like a sweet dream featuring a young boy who's chasing after a star or I dunno what, but in reality they are the most annoying 'creature' in this world!
They keep sending garbage-mail, call you to offer you s*** stuff, and worse - when you get to talk to them and ask them for something they cannot help you with it... full of bureaucracy!

I thought banks let you, the customer, to decide what to do with your own money, but it seems like they have decided to close my account without asking for my permission and I do have, thank god, some money in the account ("We're sorry but we cannot give you the reason as to why your account is closed, according to our Terms & Conditions you signed on you agree to let us close your account anytime we want and if we desire to do so")

Yeah right, thank god there are some other "better" ones (figure of speech only) but I just can't stand those institutions, I just hate them

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've always gone with credit unions. I don't know exactly what the difference is, but we've had good luck with them and great customer service. (Husband has always insisted on credit unions when we've moved.) Maybe it's worth looking into?

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by arie85

I just hate banks

I've never seen a such thing - on the television and the newspapers yada yada they always present themselves like a sweet dream featuring a young boy who's chasing after a star or I dunno what, but in reality they are the most annoying 'creature' in this world!
They keep sending garbage-mail, call you to offer you s*** stuff, and worse - when you get to talk to them and ask them for something they cannot help you with it... full of bureaucracy!

I thought banks let you, the customer, to decide what to do with your own money, but it seems like they have decided to close my account without asking for my permission and I do have, thank god, some money in the account ("We're sorry but we cannot give you the reason as to why your account is closed, according to our Terms & Conditions you signed on you agree to let us close your account anytime we want and if we desire to do so")

Yeah right, thank god there are some other "better" ones (figure of speech only) but I just can't stand those institutions, I just hate them

They can close your account however they have to give you warnings if you didn't abide by the T&Cs.
Did you ever go negative? Was it a checking or savings account?
Have you deposited any bad checks unknowingly? Go under a certain balance?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

They can close your account however they have to give you warnings if you didn't abide by the T&Cs.
Did you ever go negative? Was it a checking or savings account?
Have you deposited any bad checks unknowingly? Go under a certain balance?
They didn't, they just told me they don't want me to be their customer (poof, who needs them anyway, I just wish they would stop sending me all this trash)

As for your questions I swear there's nothing to do with it

It was a regular checking account, never went negative, no bad checks, no bad balance, they just told me it's related to transactions online, I made a few transactions online and they want me to come to the branch and do it from there and not from the Internet, that's the only clue that I got from them (and why do they let people do transactions from the computer? who knows)

Anyway I don't care, I can take all the funds out and put them somewhere else, they don't scare me, I just don't like the idea of a such thing, I'm just 22 years old, what could I possibly do that they don't like me, I didn't kill anyone

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

We've always gone with credit unions. I don't know exactly what the difference is, but we've had good luck with them and great customer service. (Husband has always insisted on credit unions when we've moved.) Maybe it's worth looking into?
Oh, what is a Credit Union?

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

They didn't, they just told me they don't want me to be their customer (poof, who needs them anyway, I just wish they would stop sending me all this trash)

As for your questions I swear there's nothing to do with it

It was a regular checking account, never went negative, no bad checks, no bad balance, they just told me it's related to transactions online, I made a few transactions online and they want me to come to the branch and do it from there and not from the Internet, that's the only clue that I got from them (and why do they let people do transactions from the computer? who knows)

Anyway I don't care, I can take all the funds out and put them somewhere else, they don't scare me, I just don't like the idea of a such thing, I'm just 22 years old, what could I possibly do that they don't like me, I didn't kill anyone
What transactions did you do online?
Are you going into the bank to get your money?

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

What transactions did you do online?
Are you going into the bank to get your money?
Sending wires, and I don't go to the bank, if I want money I use the ATM machine

I think that is what those features were built for, don't you think?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Never heard of it, do you have examples for big names which are CUs?
The issue with a Credit Union is that you have to become a member. You may be able to belong to one just due to your job, school, or your parents. Check into it and see.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sending wires, and I don't go to the bank, if I want money I use the ATM machine

I think that is what those features were built for, don't you think?
Sounds like it was done for security reasons. How many wires did you send and was it overseas? Over 2000k? The Fed has tight rules on wires that the public isn't aware of.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

I hate banks. If I could get into a credit union, I'd be all over it.
For some reason, I thought Credit Unions were everywhere. All you have to do to become a member (if you are near one) is to make a deposit.

We pay something like $17 a month for unlimited checking, unlimited debit transactions (6 free per month from other teller machines), unlimited money orders or international cashier's checks, and there's more that we don't use or I can't remember.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That happened to me with the CIBC once. I had a savings account but it was inactive for a year or two. I think I had about $100.00 in there.

I was really strapped for cash at one point and remembered about that savings account and looked at the bank book and decided to go and withdraw the money and close the account because I never went there to bank.

I go there and they tell me the account was closed because of inactivity!
They didn't even notify me first
When I asked for the money that was in the account they told me that it's gone and has been put into some kind of "fund". Man! Did I raise a stink! I mean how dare they just up and close my account and tell me that it's not my money anymore!

It took me 3 days of fighting with the management but I got my money back.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

That happened to me with the CIBC once. I had a savings account but it was inactive for a year or two. I think I had about $100.00 in there.

I was really strapped for cash at one point and remembered about that savings account and looked at the bank book and decided to go and withdraw the money and close the account because I never went there to bank.

I go there and they tell me the account was closed because of inactivity!
They didn't even notify me first
When I asked for the money that was in the account they told me that it's gone and has been put into some kind of "fund". Man! Did I raise a stink! I mean how dare they just up and close my account and tell me that it's not my money anymore!

It took me 3 days of fighting with the management but I got my money back.
They weren't allowed to keep the money. I wonder if the fees ate away at it. It's either 7 or 10 years they have to wait before the government will allow them to take the money.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

They weren't allowed to keep the money. I wonder if the fees ate away at it. It's either 7 or 10 years they have to wait before the government will allow them to take the money.
There were no fees. It was a savings account. If anything it earned money. All I got back was the amount that was deposited, no interest.

But they sure tried hard to keep the money!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep a savings account goes dormant after 1 year. The account is frozen until the owner replies to the letters to come into the bank.

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Yep a savings account goes dormant after 1 year. The account is frozen until the owner replies to the letters to come into the bank.
Why would they force you to come to the branch?

Hmmm... people from europe here, if you read this thread, what about your banks? I was thinking about taking a flight once to UK and open a bank there, maybe the regulations there are better than those in the states, what do you think?