Weird question....

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would you ever donate your body to science?

My brother and I were talking this weekend and he told me that our Dad had set up to be a cadaver for a medical school once he passes. It kind of seems strange that we would have to wait to have a funeral for him once the students are done with him.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*shivers* Probably not

I know it would be "in the name of science" but something just creeps me out about it.
I've seen cadavers and what med students do to them

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

*shivers* Probably not

I know it would be "in the name of science" but something just creeps me out about it.
I've seen cadavers and what med students do to them
Well... that's not the part that bothers me. I realize that they will have to dissect him, but if that process saves the life of another person I'm fine with it.

The part that bothers me is the time that we wait between his passing and his memorial. It could be months.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Well... that's not the part that bothers me. I realize that they will have to dissect him, but if that process saves the life of another person I'm fine with it.

The part that bothers me is the time that we wait between his passing and his memorial. It could be months.
Or longer.
We held cadavers for up to 9 months

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

Or longer.
We held cadavers for up to 9 months
Wow, that's a long time.

It's best to know this now rather than when he passes.

catgirl2548m

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Wow, that's a long time.

It's best to know this now rather than when he passes.
u dont need a body for a memorial. ur body is better served saving lives and teaching docs than with maggots eating ur eyes six feet under the ground.

my grandparnts donated their bodies and their memorial services was beautful and fulfilling and hapened just a few days after they died. frankly, i always found the trophy body sitting in a cofin a little creepy anyway.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am a registered organ donor and I have seriously thought about donating my body too. I've thought about it and honestly I don't want a memorial service or anything like that when I die. Have some people over for cake and punch and call it a day.

As far as the memorial service for your father, Heather, have the memorial with a portrait or something and then have a private burial later
I might be mistaken, but I thought that they didn't return the body? once it's the medical facility's, it's the facility's. I think some folks do this to save on burial costs

nimbus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Holy crap, ever see the movie Unrest? That movie could persuade anyone not to donate their body to science.

But seriously, I think it's really noble that your dad is doing that.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I am a registered organ donor and I have seriously thought about donating my body too. I've thought about it and honestly I don't want a memorial service or anything like that when I die. Have some people over for cake and punch and call it a day.

As far as the memorial service for your father, Heather, have the memorial with a portrait or something and then have a private burial later
I might be mistaken, but I thought that they didn't return the body? once it's the medical facility's, it's the facility's. I think some folks do this to save on burial costs
I thought that they did return the body, but then again I could be wrong.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, once I'm done with this shell we call the body, I won't need it anymore, and won't care what happens to it.

It makes zero sense to me that it should be filled up with chemicals, then put into an overly expensive box which is then put into a cement liner to take up real estate.

Since I can't be allowed to decay naturally, and fertilize the earth, and since we've recently learned that cremation actually emits too much ozone layer damaging carbons, it makes sense to donate the body to medical science.

I think I'll have to rethink my future...

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Honestly, once I'm done with this shell we call the body, I won't need it anymore, and won't care what happens to it.

It makes zero sense to me that it should be filled up with chemicals, then put into an overly expensive box which is then put into a cement liner to take up real estate.

Since I can't be allowed to decay naturally, and fertilize the earth, and since we've recently learned that cremation actually emits too much ozone layer damaging carbons, it makes sense to donate the body to medical science.

I think I'll have to rethink my future...
I'm kinda with you on this.
I still have mixed feelings though.

It's hard to think about your death when you're 25, but it can happen anytime so it's best to try to be prepared I guess!!

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I most likely would particularly if I knew I was dying of something that could be researched. I plan on being cremated so I could always have that done afterwards and my ashes put wherever....

I feel it is a way of contributing something.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Do you really want to see his body at the funeral??? As others have said, you can still have the memorial service without a body.

I'm a registered organ donor, and hadn't thought of donating my body to science, but it's something I would have no issue doing. How do you do it? Do you need to just put it in your will?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had that on my licsence since I was 19( the age of majority in the state I lived)... I dont beleive in organ donation but letting someone learn from my body is a great thing ... plus there is way to much paperwork to be dumped at sea and become fish food

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Do you really want to see his body at the funeral??? As others have said, you can still have the memorial service without a body.

I'm a registered organ donor, and hadn't thought of donating my body to science, but it's something I would have no issue doing. How do you do it? Do you need to just put it in your will?
Contact a medical school in your area to fill out the paper work, or you can put it in your will.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, i would prefer that my body be burried at a nice/simple funeral. I wouldn't want my body to be in a science lab for months at a time while people use it like a test rat. I want to be laid to rest.

That being said however- I am an organ donor and i am happy to know that when i am long gone- hopefully me being an organ donor will save several lives

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Personally, I think this is the most unselfish thing you can do! How wonderful to think that although you're "done" with your earthly body, that it can be used to further modern medicine. When I'm gone, my will instructs my survivors to donate my body to science, after donating my organs. I think this is an incredible gift that you can provide to society. Too bad more people don't see things this way.

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd be more than happy to donate my body to science.

I'm already an organ donor, and I won't be doing anything with it after I'm gone, and it will save my family from paying thousands of dollars in burial costs.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Would you ever donate your body to science?

My brother and I were talking this weekend and he told me that our Dad had set up to be a cadaver for a medical school once he passes. It kind of seems strange that we would have to wait to have a funeral for him once the students are done with him.
Once you donate your body to science you don't get it back for a burial. The body becomes the property of whomever the recipient is.

In the event a body is donated to science etc, what the family usually does is just have a memorial service with a photo and no burial.

Oh to answer the question. Yes, I would. I already plan on donating any and all parts of my body that can be used for transplants and grafts. However, the way I'm feeling these days I don't know if they would want any of my parts, LOL Whatever is left I plan on having cremated and the urn buried at the foot of my Mother's plot.