Craigslist ads are frustrating!

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I'm looking to adopt a kitten in the next few weeks...hopefully September 1st, but I've been looking on craigslist and stuff to see if there are any kitties not available yet but I can start visiting and get to know before I adopt them.

But I came across this: http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/for/401116603.html

I'm thinking thats supposed to be the kitten? That is NOT a 4 week old kitten!

Also, $175 when she doesn't even say if he's fixed and vaccinated (likely not if he's really 4 wks old).

Why do people have accidental kittens and then try to make money off of it?!? That just seems so screwed up to me.

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please don't use Craigs List if you want to adopt a cat/kitten. Go to your local shelter, rescue foundation, and/or any local PetSmart or Petco, because those two stores always have weekend adoptions. The animals aer almost always already spayed/neutered and up to date on their vaccinations. Sure, they'll charge an adoption fee, but rarely are they over $85.00.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by menasmom

Please don't use Craigs List if you want to adopt a cat/kitten. Go to your local shelter, rescue foundation, and/or any local PetSmart or Petco, because those two stores always have weekend adoptions. The animals aer almost always already spayed/neutered and up to date on their vaccinations. Sure, they'll charge an adoption fee, but rarely are they over $85.00.
Whats wrong with craigslist, as long as you're smart when you're looking? I mean I'm probably going to end up at my local animal shelter but I'm keeping an eye out on craigslist - I mean a lot of those will end up at shelters if they don't get adopted out by the people who had them. Not only that but half the rescues/shelters/humane societies that I'm plannign to look at in my area I found on craigslist...

But yeah, I definitely am looking for one that has an adoption fee which includes everything - I don't mind paying the fee and its sooo much cheaper than doing it myself (and less time consuming = more time playing with kitty)

The lady emailed me back - $175 for nothing - no flea treatments, no neuter, no vaccinations.

HOW DOES ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND THINK SOMEONE WILL PAY THAT MUCH FOR A MUTT KITTY?!?!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by alwaysaangel

HOW DOES ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND THINK SOMEONE WILL PAY THAT MUCH FOR A MUTT KITTY?!?!
Because people do, so BYB's keep selling kittens. They can't even spell Bengal correctly

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by menasmom

Just wanted to add that some legitimate rescues feature their cats and kittens on Craigslist, so it's worth looking. If they are legit, the ad will normally list the rescue's name and the kitten/cat will be fixed, vaccinated and tested. There will also be a reasonable adoption fee as the poster above stated. One rescue I've worked with has had many successful adoptions through Craigslist. It's a useful tool for find homes provided potential adopters are carefully screened, just as they would be through any rescue or shelter.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've gotten a few things from craigslist (not animal). I don't see on the ad where it claims 4 weeks old - the kitten will be 2 months old in a few days if born June 25th.

My biggest problem with listing kittens is that they are placing these kittens way too soon - 6-8 weeks old and that's too soon to be leaving mom/siblings - you'll have more problems with very young kittens.

IMO its a BYB tho she does state that the mom will be spayed very soon.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I've gotten a few things from craigslist (not animal). I don't see on the ad where it claims 4 weeks old - the kitten will be 2 months old in a few days if born June 25th.
I was going to say that the kitten is close the 8 weeks rather than 4 weeks.

However, I would rather spend $175 at a shelter then someone from home. I think if the mother was really going to be spayed, this person would be asking for a much lower price, just to get the kitten out of there. Since they're asking for $200 w/o shots and neutering, then I would rather spend that money at a shelter where you could get all that for about the same or less.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Besides shelters you could also check with the people you know. The last time I was looking for a kitty, I didn't even make it to the shelter--a coworker of mine was looking for a home for 2 littermates (Raven & Nabu).

Stimpy we got from a shelter. But I wasn't looking for another kitty, I worked there. Stimpy decided he was going home with me...it just took a few weeks for me to realize that.

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

My biggest problem with listing kittens is that they are placing these kittens way too soon - 6-8 weeks old and that's too soon to be leaving mom/siblings - you'll have more problems with very young kittens.

IMO its a BYB tho she does state that the mom will be spayed very soon.
She changed the date after I emailed her - it used to say it was born July 25th...and apparently someone was dumb enough to consider paying it as he was about to be looked at when she got back to me.

People are stupid...

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get snippy with those people. That is not an adoption fee, that is a sales fee... considering the kitten is not spayed or fully vaccinated, which I am sure is unlikely/assuming. You can adopt an animal that has all its shots, micro-chipped, spayed/neutered, and in need of a loving home anywhere from $80 - $100 (at least through adoption agencies here) depending on age... You have to be very careful on craigslist. Im not knocking all the posters on there, I did just get my kitten through craiglslist a few weeks ago (he had no shots, not neutered, and a gas problem... he was free to a good home) and the gentleman I got him from was a nice guy... in school full time and in a band with no extra time for kitty (he was also living in about 400sq ft studio with another cat) at least he reckognized that kitty needed a better environment. In my case the previous owner was only taking kitty temporarily till he could find him a better home (then I came along)... Im glad I came and got him... Now he is up to date on his shots and hopefully while get his neuter this thursday (pending on whether he has a uri or not). Not all craigslist animal ad's are a hoax, but you do have to be careful!

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

I get snippy with those people. That is not an adoption fee, that is a sales fee... considering the kitten is not spayed or fully vaccinated, which I am sure is unlikely/assuming. You can adopt an animal that has all its shots, micro-chipped, spayed/neutered, and in need of a loving home anywhere from $80 - $100 (at least through adoption agencies here) depending on age... You have to be very careful on craigslist. Im not knocking all the posters on there, I did just get my kitten through craiglslist a few weeks ago (he had no shots, not neutered, and a gas problem... he was free to a good home) and the gentleman I got him from was a nice guy... in school full time and in a band with no extra time for kitty (he was also living in about 400sq ft studio with another cat) at least he reckognized that kitty needed a better environment. In my case the previous owner was only taking kitty temporarily till he could find him a better home (then I came along)... Im glad I came and got him... Now he is up to date on his shots and hopefully while get his neuter this thursday (pending on whether he has a uri or not). Not all craigslist animal ad's are a hoax, but you do have to be careful!
Yeah I was tempted to but then I decided I didn't have time to get in an email war with someone so I just told her I thought 175 for a kitten with no vet stuff done was excessive and I wasn't interested. She didn't respond.

She did say in the email that nothing had been done, and this ad isn't even in the pet section - its in the for sale section. Since its still up I'm thinking the guy didn't take him so if you guys wouldn't mind helping me flag her post as prohibited -maybe if she can't get anyone to come look at it she'll get a clue.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ill flag it. It says right on craigslist rules that sales of any animal is prohibited. Im on my way to flagging, Im suprised it stayed up this long!!!

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Ill flag it. It says right on craigslist rules that sales of any animal is prohibited. Im on my way to flagging, Im suprised it stayed up this long!!!
Thanks! Its gone now so either she sold it or we flagged it enough - I'm hoping the latter.

I think it lasted so long because its in the for sale section not the pet section.

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Its still up... Ill check it again in a few minutes.
Hmm weird - yeah when I click that link I posted its still there - but it doesn't show up on the main craigslist page anymore when I search for it. I don't really know what happens to posts after they're flagged but hopefully its gonna disapear entirely.