Does anyone else think this is wierd???

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have neighbors who have had thier air compresser turned on for over a year now. (Would that not make for a HUGE electric bill?)
Us, as well as the other folks in the neighborhood think this is strange....even have jokingly said maybe they have someone "buried" that they are pumping air to.
This family is strange...they don`t "neighbor", and have never even let thier kids play with any of the other neighborhood kids.....and they are relitives to a little girl who "dissappeared" several years ago and was never found. (You may even recognise her name if I posted it...she`s on milk cartons etc as a "missing child".)
Admittedly, the above info probably ADDS to us all thinking this is so strange.....but is it enough of a reason to alert the police....and could they even check into something like this? I mean, it is`nt against the law to leave your air compresser plugged in.
Linda

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH feels it might be worth having the police check this out. If the air compressor is on 24/7! He finds it a bit weird too to be running it all the time. They may just have the "missing child"!

We have one, its only used a few times when DH is working on something and then its drained of the air till next time he needs it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They don`t have a business at home that we know anything about.
We also have an air compresser but only plug it in when we are using it to pump up a tire or if my hubby is using his air gun....then we turn it back off.
Yes...it is noisy...that`s why we all can hear it when we`re outside...whenever it "kicks in" which is every few minutes.
If they we`rent so ODD themselves (and iceolated) we`d just ask
We live "out in the boonies" so no one knows except us 3-4 families that live close to them.
Linda
"iceolated" as in "keeping to themselves".

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When working on a roof you can use it to shoot the nails into the shingles. Its a high power shot of air. You can use it clear off machines or floors like if you are sawing things, etc.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

When working on a roof you can use it to shoot the nails into the shingles. Its a high power shot of air. You can use it clear off machines or floors like if you are sawing things, etc.
Yes...there are a lot of things you can use one for...and we do. But we don`t leave it on 24/7 for over a year.
Linda

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While it may be a little weird to leave it running, they may have a very good reason for doing so. Perhaps ask them about it before going on the web and basically accusing them of murdering a lost girl, you never know if they are members here!

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does seem odd that they'd leave it on for over a year straight. I can't really think of any reason that It would be left on for that long. We have one, and I could never imagine listening to that racket all day long. Do they leave it on at night to? I think it might be a good idea to contact the local police. If thier using it for normal legal reason's it wont do any harm to them to have a police officer stop by, but if they are doing something strange as you suspect they'll be caught in the act.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just remember that being so isolated, if you do call the police and it is nothing, they will know it was one of those 3-4 families and it won't make your neighbourly relations any easier

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stampit3d

We have neighbors who have had thier air compresser turned on for over a year now. (Would that not make for a HUGE electric bill?)
Us, as well as the other folks in the neighborhood think this is strange....even have jokingly said maybe they have someone "buried" that they are pumping air to.
This family is strange...they don`t "neighbor", and have never even let thier kids play with any of the other neighborhood kids.....and they are relitives to a little girl who "dissappeared" several years ago and was never found. (You may even recognise her name if I posted it...she`s on milk cartons etc as a "missing child".)
Admittedly, the above info probably ADDS to us all thinking this is so strange.....but is it enough of a reason to alert the police....and could they even check into something like this? I mean, it is`nt against the law to leave your air compresser plugged in.
Linda
I don't know if I would actually call the police... but I would remain cautious. I mean they could be using it for a million reasons....legit or not. I wouldn't call the police, unless other 'weird' things start arising...

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have two air compressors and one is rarely used the other Neil will turn on when he needs it then shuts it off and drains the air tank.
They do many quite a bit of noise and for use it can kick off a circuit breaker every now and then. The electric bills would be very high.
Are they living "close" enough to you that you could report it as disturbing the peace?? I know I would be sick of hearing it kick on and off all day!!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would ask - It wouldn't be very neighbourly of you to just call the cops on them. It is just a compressor. Maybe there is an ill family member who requires the compressor on to operate machinery?

Then again, they really don't have to tell you anything - it isn't illegal to run a compressor.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that is VERY weird!! I would be notifying police, or someone....

DH has one, and for some reason it will kick on occasionally, but not 24/7!!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ick I know I would be sick of hearing that thing! I can barely stand to hear my boyfriends for more than an hour before my head is pounding! I would ask them if there is a reason they have it on so much, and if they refuse to tell you then call the police for disturbing the peace.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you positive it is a compressor and not a power generator?

You're rural, so I'm thinking they aren't hooked up to the grid?

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They have electricity....I know because we sold them the house quite a few years ago.
I`m sort of afraid to ask them...and don`t think they "murdered" the girl. (If it was anything it would be that she was captive....why would you pump air to someone dead?)...and IF it was the case, would`nt my asking tip them off that someone was curious???
I think if I don`t do anything...and it turned out to BE SOMETHING....I`d hate myself forever for not doing anything...maybe before it was too late.
If I do call the police, I think I`ll just do what one person suggested....call it in as disturbing the peace....YES it is on at night too. If you`re in your house you don`t hear it, but if you go outside for anything you hear it kick in and out, and it is annoying.
Maybe then, if I call I could sort of "jokingly" tell them what us neighbors have only half jokingly said what we do, about having someone buried that they are pumping air to....because they are related to (girls name) .....and if they think it`s something worth checking out for more than a disturbance it would be up to them to decide. (They WOULD recognize the name!)
Does this make sense to anyone else?
Linda

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know, I have only call the police on neighbours twice, one when there was large fight , he was beating her, the second when a neighbour had a party, one guy got mad and threatened to come back and shoot every one, I think you only call the police If it is something really important. I think you should talk to them

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

I don't know, I have only call the police on neighbours twice, one when there was large fight , he was beating her, the second when a neighbour had a party, one guy got mad and threatened to come back and shoot every one, I think you only call the police If it is something really important. I think you should talk to them

The police probably won't even come for something like that, especially if you can't hear it in your house. I am sure that when the little girl went missing the police were thorough in their investigations and checked out relatives homes