Poo Poo issue

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just switched my cats to a healther, all wet diet about 3 weeks ago. They love the food. A couple things... it seems they are pooping less, and not that I'm complaining, I just wanted to make sure that was normal. One of my cats has been making a "mess" when he poops though. He has a little ring of poo smeared around his "exit." It's not on the hole itself, just around. I cleaned it off one day, thinking it was just an accident. But it's there again. I did buy them some good quality dry food (Blue Spa) to supplement and give them when I'm away for extended periods (like overnight).

So...

1) Where is the poo?

2) Why is it all over one of my cats' behind?

Thanks!!

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is normal for them to poop less. Canned food has more moisture, so you may notice them either peeing more or drinking less water. Higher quality foods also require the cat to eat less because they process more of it--therefore less is excreted as waste. Do the "presents" in the litter box look solid? If not, that may account for the messiness.

barblynnp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
High quality food produces less waste because there are no fillers or other "junk" in it.

It takes a while for your cat's system to get used to a new diet. They are very sensitive to change...that could be causing the loose poo. It should start to become more solid. As long as it is not diarreah, I would worry too much.

When in doubt, call the vet.

tickytat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've recently discovered Nature's Miracle pet wipes, about $8.99 for a can of 70 moist wipes, but they're great for cleaning up kitty's "nether regions." It even says that it's safe to use around that area.

I think once they get used to the switch things will return to normal. If not, a vet check will clear things up. Good luck!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

It is normal for them to poop less. Canned food has more moisture, so you may notice them either peeing more or drinking less water. Higher quality foods also require the cat to eat less because they process more of it--therefore less is excreted as waste. Do the "presents" in the litter box look solid? If not, that may account for the messiness.
exactly...

a vet visit likely should be made to ensure nothing other than dry to wet food change is going on if it continues....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. The poop isn't diarrhea but it's not as solid as it used to be either. It looks very soft. They are healthily eating and running around playing as normal. Now let's just keep our fingers crossed that I can get some weight off of them!

tickytat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by greenvillegal

Thanks everyone. The poop isn't diarrhea but it's not as solid as it used to be either. It looks very soft. They are healthily eating and running around playing as normal. Now let's just keep our fingers crossed that I can get some weight off of them!
I agree! I'm feeding all wet in hopes of weight loss too. My vet told me to feed 1/4 of a 5.5 oz can (or 1/2 of a 3 oz. can) in the morning and night. That's not very much, but she assured me Mitties would not starve. Good luck!

sbd45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TickyTat

I agree! I'm feeding all wet in hopes of weight loss too. My vet told me to feed 1/4 of a 5.5 oz can (or 1/2 of a 3 oz. can) in the morning and night. That's not very much, but she assured me Mitties would not starve. Good luck!
Curious: How much does your cat weigh? Also has cat lost any weight? Also, does cat act like it's still hungry? Are you happy with the results?
Thanks, Ruth

tickytat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sbd45

Curious: How much does your cat weigh? Also has cat lost any weight? Also, does cat act like it's still hungry? Are you happy with the results?
Thanks, Ruth
My cat, at her last vet visit a month ago, weighed 20 lbs. exactly. I have actually switched her BACK to DRY because of her constipation issues, which contradicts everything I've learned here. But I've put her on Orijen dry, which I think can't get much better (grain free) plus the best part is she's pooping every day THANK GOD!!!! and her recurring urinary tract infections have ceased. So I dare not change ANYTHING having to do with her diet. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. She's been on this diet for about 3 weeks. I still have to cut back on her portions. Do you know what Nyquill is? Picture the little medicine cup on top of that. She gets one of those in the a.m. and one in the p.m. The last few days I've noticed her waist which I've never seen before, so it must be working. But I don't have a super accurate scale so I can't weigh her unless we go back to the vet, and hopefully we won't have to go back for a very, very long time.

Yes, she acts like she's starving all the time but I know she's not. She's mostly just bored and hoping I'll drop a few treats on my way through the kitchen, something she hasn't had in over a year. But once her mind is off of begging, she is perfectly fine. The vet said you practically have to starve an inactive cat to get it to lose weight, and it seems like I am but I have to keep telling myself that she is NOT starving and to NOT give in to her whining.

sbd45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TickyTat

My cat, at her last vet visit a month ago, weighed 20 lbs. exactly. I have actually switched her BACK to DRY because of her constipation issues, which contradicts everything I've learned here. But I've put her on Orijen dry, which I think can't get much better (grain free) plus the best part is she's pooping every day THANK GOD!!!! and her recurring urinary tract infections have ceased. So I dare not change ANYTHING having to do with her diet. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. She's been on this diet for about 3 weeks. I still have to cut back on her portions. Do you know what Nyquill is? Picture the little medicine cup on top of that. She gets one of those in the a.m. and one in the p.m. The last few days I've noticed her waist which I've never seen before, so it must be working. But I don't have a super accurate scale so I can't weigh her unless we go back to the vet, and hopefully we won't have to go back for a very, very long time.

Yes, she acts like she's starving all the time but I know she's not. She's mostly just bored and hoping I'll drop a few treats on my way through the kitchen, something she hasn't had in over a year. But once her mind is off of begging, she is perfectly fine. The vet said you practically have to starve an inactive cat to get it to lose weight, and it seems like I am but I have to keep telling myself that she is NOT starving and to NOT give in to her whining.
How much of the dry do you feed her, and why did you switch from the Blue Spa? Thanks, just curious and also have a fat cat that's on Purina OM.

tickytat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I never fed her Blue Spa nor have I ever heard of it. She was on WELLNESS wet. I currently feed Orijen and it's about 2 tablespoons in the morning, and 2 at night.