I have a 20-30 gal. tank... what pet should I get?

thh20

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine has offered me her large tank, and I'd like to get somebody to occupy that tank. We have fish in a 10 gal. tank now, but once the fish have done their time, we were thinking of putting a corn or milk snake in the larger tank... I'm not a great fan of lizards or turtles (I used to have a turtle), and although I like rats, I don't think the glass tank would hold up to the ammonia in the rat's urine very well... it's not a very suitable house for a rat, anyway...

any other ideas?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please research and do your homework before bringing any animal home. Make sure you are responsible and pick out the right animal for your lifestyle. Are you able to care for it money wise? Do you have a vet picked out that specializes in whatever animal you had in mind? Are you willing to provide life long care for the animal? If you get a particular reptile- are you willing to feed life feeder animals it may need as part of a complete diet? Do you homework before deciding on what to bring home and make sure you get the right baby for you!
Good luck!

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, if it were me, I'd just keep fish in it. But that's coming from someone who's hubby has 4 tanks of different sizes with all sorts of different kinds of fish.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would do fish... I enjoy mine and truely most fish arent alot of work
... ANY reptile IS ALOT of work ...

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What fish do you have now in your 10 gallon? A lot of tanks are overstocked and it might very well be that your current fish would really appreciate the extra space and thrive in a larger tank.

I think your duty goes first to the animals you have already before adding to your load.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thh20

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siggav

What fish do you have now in your 10 gallon? A lot of tanks are overstocked and it might very well be that your current fish would really appreciate the extra space and thrive in a larger tank.

I think your duty goes first to the animals you have already before adding to your load.
I have 6 platys. 2 blue and 4 red... oh, and a bottom-feeder and a myriad of tiny little snails that we're guessing are the "children" of the single snail we had in there originally.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go for a bearded dragon (Id love to have one eventually)... Please research first, there is alot of care that goes into them... and they are not cheap....

http://www.beardeddragon.org/

Here is a pic of a baby bearded dragon:http://www.beardeddragon.org/guestAlbum/?page=2

Babies retail at about $150 and grown Bearded Dragons value at around $100....

Babies can be housed in a 20-30 gallon take (preferably a long tank) where adults should be in a minimum of 45 gallon tank (long)... So eventually you would need to upgrade your tank to a bigger one... Something to consider before making a definite decision.

http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/caresheet/ (Bearded Dragon Care Sheet... What you need to know)!!!

Fish are also an excellent choice. I have a 20 gallon tank with 3 sunburst platy's, 3 danios, a pleco, and now 2 dwarf puffer fish (one passed away this weekend when he was sucked into the filter). I also have another tank with 2 albino frogs, a pleco, and a golden gourami. Fish are great to experiment with, its a science but a fun one at best (there is alot more to know about maintaining and balancing their ecosystem then one may expect when starting out). There is alot of research available to help you pick an aquarium community that suites you best...

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

I would go for a bearded dragon (Id love to have one eventually)... Please research first, there is alot of care that goes into them... and they are not cheap....

Babies can be housed in a 20-30 gallon take (preferably a long tank) where adults should be in a minimum of 45 gallon tank (long)... So eventually you would need to upgrade your tank to a bigger one... Something to consider before making a definite decision.
I think a Bearded Dragon is a horrible choice for such a small tank and for a person that said they aren't really interested in lizards.
Beardies are not starter reptiles. They take a lot of commitment for 8-10 years. They also take a lot of money, space, food, supplements, mistings, fresh veggies in a salad prepared daily, very specific lights that aren't cheap and most need to be replaced every 6 months, need specific heating temps on two sides of the cage and aren't for casual owners. Temps can't be guessed at, they need to be specific so stuff will have to be bought for that purpose as well. Also, they need to be put on a day/night cycle and will require timers.
They require live food in addition to fresh prepared daily salads and that live food if not eaten that day right away might be good for the empty 20 gallon, as the poster will probably have to house the Bearded Dragon's food in addition to the Beardie itself. A baby Beardie will outgrow the 20 gallon within a couple of month's time.
They get really big 24 inches isn't that uncommon. Babies require massive amounts of food and frequently, they are much harder to start with than adults. And a 45 gallon is the very bare minimum, personally I think it is cruel for such a large animal to be kept in such close quarters and most keepers suggest at least a 75 gallon for an adult.

If the poster was wanting a reptile, I would say Leo Gecko or two, adult(s). But I think a better bet for that type of cage would be a Tarantula or maybe even a Pacman frog. http://www.frogsarchive.com/care-sheets/pacman-frog.php. I think hermit crabs would be appropriate or maybe more fish.

This is really subjective, depending upon bloodlines, genetics, color, and so forth. If you are considering getting a Beardie I suggest you research breeders before hand and go with a good one for your investment, not buy from Petsmart or Petco. Also go to reptile shows if there are any in your area.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe look at a hamster? Just a thought. Maybe get a more exotic fish? Or maybe start a small salt water tank if you can.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

I think a Bearded Dragon is a horrible choice for such a small tank and for a person that said they aren't really interested in lizards.
Beardies are not starter reptiles. They take a lot of commitment for 8-10 years. They also take a lot of money, space, food, supplements, mistings, fresh veggies in a salad prepared daily, very specific lights that aren't cheap and most need to be replaced every 6 months, need specific heating temps on two sides of the cage and aren't for casual owners. Temps can't be guessed at, they need to be specific so stuff will have to be bought for that purpose as well. Also, they need to be put on a day/night cycle and will require timers.
They require live food in addition to fresh prepared daily salads and that live food if not eaten that day right away might be good for the empty 20 gallon, as the poster will probably have to house the Bearded Dragon's food in addition to the Beardie itself. A baby Beardie will outgrow the 20 gallon within a couple of month's time.
They get really big 24 inches isn't that uncommon. Babies require massive amounts of food and frequently, they are much harder to start with than adults. And a 45 gallon is the very bare minimum, personally I think it is cruel for such a large animal to be kept in such close quarters and most keepers suggest at least a 75 gallon for an adult.

If the poster was wanting a reptile, I would say Leo Gecko or two, adult(s). But I think a better bet for that type of cage would be a Tarantula or maybe even a Pacman frog. http://www.frogsarchive.com/care-sheets/pacman-frog.php. I think hermit crabs would be appropriate or maybe more fish.

This is really subjective, depending upon bloodlines, genetics, color, and so forth. If you are considering getting a Beardie I suggest you research breeders before hand and go with a good one for your investment, not buy from Petsmart or Petco. Also go to reptile shows if there are any in your area.
I should add that is a ball park figure threw pet stores. I wouldnt go that route since there are no guarentee's on their reptiles as is. Finding a breeder who has full knowledge with the species would be best, and at that case the price may go up (which isnt a bad thing, at least you will know what your getting). There are guidelines and helpful tips on that link I posted (as well as a forum) on what things you should look over before purchasing your beardie.

Definitely research and ask around in those forums if you find that beardies are appealing or interesting to you...

BTW in case you missed it in my post, I stated that a baby beardie may be started off in a long 20 gallon tank which must be upgraded as he/she grows... Please read that in my post before suggesting that I recommended the beardie remain in such a small vacinity. It was a suggestion I made, followed with a comment to research it thoroughly because they require alot of care... once again please read... Its not as if I suggested to buy one, throw it in the small tank, and keep it there for its life span. A 20 gallon long tank is a sufficient starter tank for a BABY beardie as I stated...an upgrade would be necessary...

"Young Beardies under 10 inches in length can be housed in a 20gal long aquarium. This will last them for a few months only though as they grow quickly. Adult Dragons should be housed in nothing smaller than a 40gal breeder tank. I prefer using 55gal aquariums due to the extra length it gives them to run and they are easily found at most Pet stores. Screen lids should be used for the top of any aquarium style cages you use. Do not use glass, plexiglass or wood to cover your cages. This will not allow enough air circulation and will also trap humidity in the cage. Screen tops allow air flow, allow your lighting and heat sources to work correctly and also allow humidity to escape." - www.beardeddragon.org

If the poster isnt interested in reptiles that is fine... it was just a suggestion, something different than fish...

okuda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by thh20

A friend of mine has offered me her large tank, and I'd like to get somebody to occupy that tank. We have fish in a 10 gal. tank now, but once the fish have done their time, we were thinking of putting a corn or milk snake in the larger tank... I'm not a great fan of lizards or turtles (I used to have a turtle), and although I like rats, I don't think the glass tank would hold up to the ammonia in the rat's urine very well... it's not a very suitable house for a rat, anyway...

any other ideas?
for realizing this for rats. A lot of people think that a tank is lovely for a rat, but it really isn't. They need places to climb and stretch and you're quite correct about the ammonia. I used to have 6 boys .. I ended up getting an indoor bird Avery lol. it was taller then me!!!

A tank however is very good for gerbils, in a *big* take you can have 3 or 4 (Obviouosly of the same sex or you'll get baby fuzzies *fast* lol.
You fill it 1/2 high with soil because they LOVE to dig and build burrows in it and because it is glass, you can see inside the tunnels and chambers against the glass! as long as the top is wire for ventilation and it's cleaned out on a regular basis, they thrive quite well in there.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with whoever it was that said you should move the fish that you have in the 10 gallon into the bigger tank. That's what I would do if I were in your situation.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

A 20 gallon long tank is a sufficient starter tank for a BABY beardie as I stated...an upgrade would be necessary...
No worries Trixie.

Yes, the 20 gallon would only last a very short time, a couple of months, then a large upgrade would be needed. Then the tank would be empty again

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

No worries Trixie.

Yes, the 20 gallon would only last a very short time, a couple of months, then a large upgrade would be needed.
Good Deal I wanted you to see that I was explaining its only a starter tank (Im not that mean, thats WAY to small to keep a beardie in for long), and it would have to be long vs deep. Its a starter tank and that is why I suggested, if the poster was interested (which is unlikely because lizards where in the "not a fan" category), an upgrade would be necessary... Hence why I have no beardies. They are a huge commitment, expensive, their care is high maintenance and expensive as well. I love them, and maybe one day... but not until Im financially ready to commit to them. Thats why I noted after my suggestion that they are pricey and require alot of care (a minimum of 40gal tank... which I think is too small for multiple beardies). I thought Id suggest something different... Hermit crabs was a good suggestion as well. Id say anoles but Im not a huge fan (they are also lizards) i used to have a few and they like tall, octagon tanks... Cleaning their tanks is almost next to impossible, it is so hard to catch the little buggers (I never touched them or picked them up by their tails, like they do at pet stores, we always caught them with a container which is probably why it was so difficult).

proudmomof3cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would say not to get a bearded dragon, or any other lizard unless you read a lot about them. I love lizards and many people get them and decide they are too much work, they are too big, or they are too mean. They are not very easy to care for, they usually need a lot of space and they need a lot of careful handling so they don't grow up mean.

With that said, I would say a snake would probably be ok as long as you are ok with feeding it live things, and maybe getting it a bigger cage someday depending on the kind of snake. Read about them before you get them. I hope you get a pet you're happy with and can spend many years with!

Manda