Spraying threads? I don't want to give up

proudmomof3cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Any one know of any good threads about spraying that i could read? I really don't want to give up on samba so I'm trying to find out every possible way to get him to stop. Also if anyone has any advice about getting him to stop spraying please tell me. If you need more information about him i will gladly give it to you. I just don't want to have to get rid of such a loving cat!

Manda

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you would not even consider abandoning a family member! If it was a kid, you wouldn't, would you?

Feliway is very good, used as directed. Nature's Miracle Just For Cats is an excellent enzymatic cleaner, used as directed. We use it and it works for us.

Calm, quiet, and serene are key words for cats. Samba is feeling insecure and needing to establish himself by marking. If there are cats outside in his "territory", you may want to cover windows where they frequent, so that Samba doesn't get stressed by them. This means closing blinds or it can mean putting up foil or other obstacle for awhile. Have you moved recently? Samba could be feeling insecure because he's "new in town" and he may just need time to feel more at home. I haven't visited the "spraying threads" here, but you probably will want to do so. A behaviorist may be helpful. There are ads for products and services relating to this issue on TCS's pages; one is http://www.catfaeries.com and I've heard they are very good on this issue.

Don't give up and PLEASE DON'T ABANDON SAMBA -- he is a member of your family! Isn't he???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

proudmomof3cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If we would get rid of him, He would just be going to my mothers house. She has no other cats, and he doesn't spray there. We would NEVER give one of our cats to a humane society. We might give a kitten there if we find it, but never an adult cat. Sorry for making that confusing. I would like to keep him at my house. Thanks for the advice. I put up another thread about a place that had a cleaner that I was wondering about the product is on the home page of this site http://www.stinkypets.com/ I was also wondering if using Feliway would bother my other cats, is it bad to use around cats that aren't spraying? I don't want to upset the other two. Thanks again for all you advice.

Manda

EDIT: sorry i forgot to answer your question, no we haven't moved at all while we have had him

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feliway will not hurt any cat. It is synthetic pheremones. I would try the Feliway to see if it helps. Please keep us updated. This has to be tough to deal with

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not trying to steal your thread, but I'm having the same problem, and would appreciate suggestions as well...

Basically Bonzai is indoor/outdoor kitty (please don't go off on me about that its my parents choice and they're not going to change their minds so its a moot point). He was the baby of 4 kitties we had - so we were never really sure why he started spraying as he shouldn't have every felt like he owned the place in the first place.

We have a much older kitty who was about 12 when we got our first kitten, a year later we acquired another, and then Bonzai was the new baby the year after that (this is the one who sprays). Our second kitty, a female, actually was the first to spray and Bonzai just sort of followed suit.

She passed away 5 years ago, but Bonzai never stopped spraying. The third kitty passed also. So now all it really is is Bonzai (now 6) and the eldest, Bandit (17). They're don't compete for space as they have developed a heirarchy where it seems Bandit rules the roost (he's getting older now and Bonzai helps him out a lot but I think he's still number one). And Bandit doesn't spray.

They were all speutered as soon as they were of an age where they could be.

So we're kind of at a loss of what to do to make him stop. We've always just dealt with it. But my mother wants new furniture soon but she's been holding off because he sprays. She really doesn't want to wait 10 years for him to die of old age...

We've tried Feliway and it didn't help. We've caught him in the act and yelled at him - no help.

Any suggestions?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by alwaysaangel

Not trying to steal your thread, but I'm having the same problem, and would appreciate suggestions as well...

Basically Bonzai is indoor/outdoor kitty (please don't go off on me about that its my parents choice and they're not going to change their minds so its a moot point). He was the baby of 4 kitties we had - so we were never really sure why he started spraying as he shouldn't have every felt like he owned the place in the first place.

We have a much older kitty who was about 12 when we got our first kitten, a year later we acquired another, and then Bonzai was the new baby the year after that (this is the one who sprays). Our second kitty, a female, actually was the first to spray and Bonzai just sort of followed suit.

She passed away 5 years ago, but Bonzai never stopped spraying. The third kitty passed also. So now all it really is is Bonzai (now 6) and the eldest, Bandit (17). They're don't compete for space as they have developed a heirarchy where it seems Bandit rules the roost (he's getting older now and Bonzai helps him out a lot but I think he's still number one). And Bandit doesn't spray.

They were all speutered as soon as they were of an age where they could be.

So we're kind of at a loss of what to do to make him stop. We've always just dealt with it. But my mother wants new furniture soon but she's been holding off because he sprays. She really doesn't want to wait 10 years for him to die of old age...

We've tried Feliway and it didn't help. We've caught him in the act and yelled at him - no help.

Any suggestions?
I would keep on doing as you are; I use Nature's Miracle Just For Cats, which works wonderfully used as directed, and I also just bought a Bissell SpotBot/Pet robotic carpet steam cleaner/shampooer for those little "accidents" that DO happen from time to time. Feliway is a very good product -- maybe you'd do better with the plug-in version if you haven't tried it? One thing for certain -- the places where he has sprayed need to be absolutely cleaned and any odor removed so he will not re-mark them. New furniture might be just the answer! Hopefully your mom will choose furniture that IS cat-friendly, not stuff he would be almost guaranteed to be destructive to. I have leather sofa and living-room chairs (anyone reading closely knows I opt for non-animal and cruelty-free whenever possible; but upholstered furniture is ASKING for trouble when you have cats in your family, and no, I would NEVER declaw as it should be a crime!) My Nine have never bothered the leather furniture, and even if they did, leather wears very well and leather balm hides scratches very well.

proudmomof3cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, Samba is neutered. We are going to get feliway and we are cleaning everything in the house thoroughly to get rid of and smell. Thanks for all the advice.

Manda

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
THANKS, Manda, for doing this and for loving him. He IS worth it, and he's not doing it to "spite" you or to be "bad". HOPE YOU HAVE SUCCESS WITH HIM. He sounds like a very sweet boy and he's very handsome.

proudmomof3cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I am very close to Samba. He is the first cat that is mine. Root came with my hubby, Samba was given to me. I love him so much that I don't think i could ever get rid of him. Thanks again for all the advice and support, I'm not going to give up easily.

Manda

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear that. You know, we have "accidents" when we have cats, and we just learn to live with them and get the cleaners necessary to clean them up. My Nikki is 17+ and sometimes, he just doesn't make it to the box. That's why I use Nature's Miracle and the SpotBot. Nikki is worth more to me than any material thing, and of course, no one wants their house trashed, but people who have kids learn to roll with the punches -- and so do we. Sure hope Samba stays with you.

proudmomof3cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's been about 5 days without any major accidents!
We have been watching him carefully so if we see him squat we quickly go pick him up and set him in his litter box. We have also been brining him down every hour or so and setting him in his litter box. It seems like its working so we are really happy. We are probaly going to keep doing this for about two weeks then give him a couple days without us brining him down to see if he will go on his own. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement! I hope keeps on being good.

Manda

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, spraying is totally unrelated to regular urination, but hey, whatever works! I sure hope for absolute success for Samba and for you...!