Child sociopath?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My 9 year old nephew's behavior is disturbing. Although I am not an expert in child behavior I think this kid needs counseling.
He smiles impishly when he misbehaves, he breaks things on purpose but claims it was an accident, he seems to enjoy hitting people, parents are always asked to go to his school for his misconduct...
I don't know. Is this normal for kids these days? or is he growing up to be a dangerous sociopath?
BTW, he ruined my laptop when he "accidentally" spilled a glass of water on it.

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom is an RN who is visiting for supper now and she read the post with me and mentioned that it sounded like he had ADHD...of course she cant diagnose but said thats what it sounds like

shopcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I saw this thread & couldn't help thinking of my own nephew.
He was such a little monster, I couldn't stand his company. He used to like to torment my finches & act like a brat in general. I once saw him slam a metal truck toy into the head of a kitten with that same smile.
His mother(my sister) is a sociopath, I always kind of jokingly said he would grow up to be a serial killer or a sociopath-since then my other sister has had custody of him, he is around 16 now. I don't know much about him or his life, I never really cared to "bond" with him...I wonder why.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He sounds like he's in need of some sort of counciling. Spilling water on an expensive piece of equipment like a laptop, is NOT okay. He should know better than that. Perhaps he doesn't get enough attention, so he acts out to get it? Did his parents pay for the laptop that he ruined?

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like he needs help to me. I have a 9 year old boy and he is nothing like that. My nine year old is very sweet and caring. He is always getting people saying how great he is with younger kids. Hope your Nephew doesn't leave a bad taste in your mouth for all boys. That is not normal behavior.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Worriedmommy

Sounds like he needs help to me. I have a 9 year old boy and he is nothing like that. My nine year old is very sweet and caring. He is always getting people saying how great he is with younger kids. Hope your Nephew doesn't leave a bad taste in your mouth for all boys. That is not normal behavior.
This is off-tpoic, but I loved your "Double-Stuffed Oreo" cat!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I don't have kids, nor am I an expert on them, but...he sounds like he needs help. Has he ever tried to hurt animals? If so, he really needs to get help, soon! Many violent offenders start out that way.

At the very least, he may be trying to get attention; he may be so desperate for it, he's willing to endure punishment to get it.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

My 9 year old nephew's behavior is disturbing. Although I am not an expert in child behavior I think this kid needs counseling.
He smiles impishly when he misbehaves, he breaks things on purpose but claims it was an accident, he seems to enjoy hitting people, parents are always asked to go to his school for his misconduct...
I don't know. Is this normal for kids these days? or is he growing up to be a dangerous sociopath?
BTW, he ruined my laptop when he "accidentally" spilled a glass of water on it.
Whether it's normal depends on why he is doing it and how he is being raised... If that's the only way he gets attention (which I would doubt) then it's normal. If he acts like that and your sibling is a good parent, then yes, he probably does need help.

To answer the question you didn't ask... it's probably better to let them come to this conclusion on their own, because if it comes from you, you might get some resentment.

I have a horror of a cousin, and the only reason I can stand it is because I know her father is an abusive alcoholic and her mom has always spoiled her for feeling guilty about it. I'm not implying anything about your family of course!

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brandi

My mom is an RN who is visiting for supper now and she read the post with me and mentioned that it sounded like he had ADHD...of course she cant diagnose but said thats what it sounds like
I have a child with ADHD, she knows to behave better than that, I think it is parenting issue, I have three adopted children all with alcohol and drug exposure, two born severely addicted, they do not act out or behave badly

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's not normal, and it sounds like it could escalate easily. I urge you to keep him away from your cats when he's over, even if it means locking your cats in a room.

Tricia

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lack of conscience or remorse is not a symptom of ADHD. However, it can be the result of a parent thinking "oh he can't help it".

I am a nanny for 5 year old twin boys. One has been diagnosed as having ADHD. The other doesn't have it although he's been tested. The non ADHD twin worries me because of his negative outlook on life. Both boys display a lack of conscience or remorse. That tells me that something is wrong with the parenting....for one thing, it's not consistent.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a student who's son did things similar to what you describe. I know he was seeing a counselor for it and they were medicating him for some type of disorder that caused his behavior. I agree that it doesn't sound normal. I hope someone can help him.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

This is off-tpoic, but I loved your "Double-Stuffed Oreo" cat!
Thanks
She doesn't seem to mind. My brother came to visit recently and said,"Double stuffed? She looks more like triple stuffed to me"
Poor baby. We are trying to help her lose weight but she just won't do those aerobic videos...just kidding
We love our Oreo...double stuffed or not.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its not normal and the child needs help. I too disagree on the ADHD stuff - that's not typical reactions. The kid needs counseling or meds and the parent needs to learn how to parent!

Once in awhile a child might have an accident, but not the on purpose one eveyr time and show no remorse about things. Something is very wrong.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My personal thing is to start with the parents. If they're disciplining their child well as well as enough paying attention to him, then step next to the child psychology.

I personally think that he's lacking something from home. when you spend time with him and give him sole attention does this behaviour subside? If so tell -gently- that they need to include themselves in their sons life more.

I doubt he's going to grow up and be a sociopath, but he definitely will have issues later on in life.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely sounds like he may need counseling. My nephew is horrible. He throws rocks at people, bites, beats other kids up - and he is only 6. He was thrown out of 5 preschools. My half-sister (his mom), is bad with discipline. As long as he says "I'm sorry mommy", she lets him do whatever she was keeping from him as punishment. He's hit me, told me to F-off, etc. I had to hold back from tossing his little monster butt out the door when they visited my parents for Xmas/New Years in 2004.

Is it bad I'm glad I live 700+ miles away??