My cat had a stroke last night.....

kevin_ruby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My best friend, Jackson, had a stroke last night. It started Friday night, when I noticed one of his eyes was dilated and the other was not, but he seemed to not be in any sort of pain and by the next day his eyes looked OK. So I called the vet and made an appointment for that Monday.

However, Saturday night I noticed he was acting really odd..he was walking around in circles clockwise, he seemed to have problems with his right side, he was limping and was not walking correctly. He kept tripping and just did not seem to have any coordination on his right side. I picked him up and he was limp...and I could cleary tell he had problems with his right side.

So I took him to the emergency clinic early Sunday morning and had some blood work done, which came back OK. But the doctor said there was something definately wrong with him..something neurological and that it was going to cost me around 1500 for the MRI or CAT scan. The doctor was sure there was something wrong but could not say what..but that it was definatley something dealing with his brain....either a tumor or a stroke

I can not afford to pay for these tests..and my poor cat is not the same. He is lethargic, quite, and does not move. He will not eat or sleep and does not seem to recognize me. How am I supposed to put him to sleep after 10 years?

One day I had a spoiled kitty cat who meant the world to me. The next day, that all had changed. He doesnt react to anything....if i pick him up and try to get him to walk...all he does is walk around in circles and then head back to his normal spot. I can not afford to spend 2000 on top of the 400 I spent for the first tests, but how do I just let me best friend of 10 years go?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your poor baby!

A stroke will cause neurologic damage and if the vet is fairly confident that is what happened, an MRI will only confirm the diagnose. If they cannot treat him for the condition, then I would struggle with paying for the test also.

I had a 16 year old girl that had a series of strokes. She did not walk in circles, but had lost a lot of control of her back leg. The last stroke left her basically paralyzed and it was very clear to me that her quality of life was gone and we gave her peace.

After the first few strokes, we changed the layout of her world. Put her bed close enough to the litter box so that she didn't need to struggle to get there. We fed her in or near her bed so she didn't have to move far. I also had a friend who did Tellington Touch Therapy - a massage theropy that can help animals with a number of physical conditions. She taught me the basic technique and I used it on her regularly. It did seem to help the stiffness that developed in her leg from disuse.

I tell you this because a stroke doesn't have to be the end of the world. Every stroke will affect an animal differently and you need to step back and really assess the quality of his life. People and animals can recover from stroke symptoms to some extent so what you are experiencing right now may improve over time. But realize that is sometimes.

Through many years of caring for animals, I know that they let you know when they have had enough of this world and are ready to move on. You let them go when they tell you they have had enough. The terrible part of this is that we are so close to our babies that it very hard for us to listen to them. Our emotions get in the way. If you have a good relationship with your vet, ask them what they would do in your place. Listen to their advice, but then listen to your baby.

I am so sorry that you are going through this! Sending you
and that you can get through this.

puma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry that you are going through this. I'm sure there isn't anything more frustrating than wanting to do something to help--but not knowing what to do. I send my thoughts and prayers your way. Good luck.

nimbus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel for you and my thoughts are with your kitty. I had a cat that also suffered a stroke and dealt with several of the symptoms you described. I struggled with the decision to put her to sleep. I remember finally asking myself "Am I holding onto her because I'll miss her so much when she's gone...or because I truly believe there's a chance she'll get better?" In my case, my kitty no longer recognized me or her surroundings, she became fearful and a danger to herself when left alone. She wasn't the same cat and she was in pain. It was difficult to let her go, but I believe she was ready.

I think in these circumstances, you really have to evaluate your cats situation. I know it isn't easy. We're all here for you.

-Kristen

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Momofmany is absolutely right and I hope that her words give you courage and hope.
My sweet Moti girl had a stroke and she recuperated from it well enough to have several more months of quality time with us (she had Chronic Renal Failure, which is why it was only several more months). Truly, a stroke is NOT necessarily the end, for cats or for people.
And tests will not cure, only diagnose. Momofmany's thought of finding someone experienced in TTouch is an excellent one; you may find someone in the local phone book, through your vet, or online by Googling (Goodsearching, whatever) "TTouch in ________________(your area)". That money would be well spent in actually HELPING Jackson to feel better, which would also help YOU to feel better.
That's what I would do if I were in your place. One step at a time, and don't give up.
Keep us posted, all right? And THANK YOU for loving Jackson so much -- you sound like a very caring buddy to him, which is what he deserves.

mermaid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
MRI or not, there's not a whole lot you can do but wait. Some cats recover fine, some don't. The first three days are critical. If your kid isn't showing any improvement in that time, he may not. Hopefully he will though.

Generally the vet will give him a shot of a corticosteroid to combat any inflammation in the brain, and then just wait.

I am not a vet. A cat scan would be nice, but it's a very expensive test and I probably would not have it done if I were in your shoes.

I am sorry your cat had a stroke. That's a terrible thing to have to watch him go through. I hope he recovers and I will be watching this space for news. Good luck.

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You should start assist feeding right away to give you and Jackson the time to see if he will improve at all. Your vet can give you a syringe that will help with it. You may have to coax him to eat at all, but it's very important that he eat and drink. Other problems can arise if he doesn't, and he needs all his strength right now.

Best of luck

Devlyn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kevin_ruby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want to thank all who responded to my post about Jackson have a stroke.

I took him to my vet today and found out Jackson had a tumor or lesion on his brain stem, which paralyzed his left eye and the entire right side of his body.

He could not walk, eat, drink, get into his catbox, and had lost all coordination on his right side. Worst of all, Jackson did not seem to recognize me.

The doctor gave him a less than 5% chance of any sort of recovery.

Jackson Rubalcaba died in my arms at 5:20 pm on August 20, 2007. He was 10 years old. He went very, very, peacefully and took a large part of my heart and soul with him

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. Having been in the same situation, I know how hard it is to make this decision.
Know that you did what was best for Jackson. I'm glad he was able to cross the Rainbow Bridge peacefully in your arms. He'll be waiting for you. When you feel ready, leave him a tribute in the Rainbow Bridge forum.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kevin_ruby

I want to thank all who responded to my post about Jackson have a stroke.

I took him to my vet today and found out Jackson had a tumor or lesion on his brain stem, which paralyzed his left eye and the entire right side of his body.

He could not walk, eat, drink, get into his catbox, and had lost all coordination on his right side. Worst of all, Jackson did not seem to recognize me.

The doctor gave him a less than 5% chance of any sort of recovery.

Jackson Rubalcaba died in my arms at 5:20 pm on August 20, 2007. He was 10 years old. He went very, very, peacefully and took a large part of my heart and soul with him
My empathy goes out to you on this sad occasion. How well I know the feelings you are probably having. Many, many times, unfortunately.

No words can make it "feel better" and so I won't say anything trite. But know that my thoughts and prayers are with you, and of course I wouldn't dream of putting my personal beliefs on anyone, but I do believe that your beloved Jackson IS an eternal soul and that he will always be with you, while at the same time, he waits for you over the Rainbow Bridge, free of all suffering liberated from all health issues.

You might want to visit the forum for those who have lost their beloved cats, too -- there is much comfort there in sharing with others who are also going through this.

And again, not wanting to be pushy, but just letting you know three things I always do for tributes/memorials: making a photo album, planting a plant on the resting place which will be a way of carrying on the "circle of life" and be a living tribute, and most importantly, adopting another deserving and needy cat, never as a "replacement", but because so many millions of sweet cats need good homes, and I know that all of my rescued cats would want another cat to have this home, this love, and this life, as they have.

I hope some, at least, of this will be of comfort to you.

lioness

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about your precious Jackson.

I am hoping that you will be given strength to get through this tough time.

It is never easy.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry. Bless you for having the strength to help him cross the bridge peacefully. Sending many hugs for you

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to read about your loss! I know how heartbreaking it is to lose a beloved companion. My Pippin passed on Friday and I know all too well how you must be feeling.
It's difficult, but try to think of all the good times you had with your furbaby and how much love you shared. My thoughts are with you.

Devlyn

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kevin_ruby

Oh I am SO sorry for your loss
My thoughts and prayers are with you.