Spent $50 on a Furminator...

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... and Lily will not let me use it on her! I posted in "Care and Grooming" for advice, but I'm posting here just to gripe about it.

At least it has a full money-back guarantee.

Anybody else has a cat who doesn't want to be brushed or combed?

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Popsie likes being brushed for awhile but then he'll walk off and make me chase him around to finish. Darn booger head

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow I'm so glad I read this.

Actually DH and I were just checking this out at Petsmart the other day after numerous people on here suggested it.

I'm not so sure yet.

We'll see.

I hope you get tips on how to make it work for you!!!!!!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*waving hand in the air*

Yeah. Stimpy HATES to be brushed. He HATES it. I've tried every brush out there. I even returned a $10 one my sister recommended. Yeah. That was funny, it didn't get anything off of him AND he hated it.
We pretty much hold him down and brush him with a $3 slicker brush or the zoom groom.
We have to because he sheds so much.

And people told me short-haired cats shed less.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nikita hates all brushes apart from a zoom groom. They're really good at getting hair out. Probably not as good as a furminator but still better than most "normal" brushes. Since the zoom groom is really a massage tool most cats really like it.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gave luxor treats when i brushed him with his furminator and now I touch him with the furminator and he flops down to be brushed. Stoli does hate it though.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
took me 2 years with heyu for her to sit still,
this week was the first time she rolled over on her back and let me brush her belly

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our kits only barely tolerate being brushed, but they seem to tolerate the Furminator a little more, and 30 seconds with the Furminator gets much more fur out than 30 seconds with any other of the 4 other cat brushes we own and now don't use...

rone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yup yup...Fred doesn't mind being brushed with a Furminator whereas his sister, Ginger, barely tolerates it. Only times I'm able to use Furminator on her is when she wants to be petted at her favorite spot. Even then I have to make it short otherwise she runs away.

paulena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have heard great things about the furminator, but opted to try the zoom groom first. Two of my kits love the zoom groom, whereas Sassy just barely tolerates it, I only get a few swipes at her and then she starts biting!! Sassy is still a work in progress. She is DLH whereas the other two are DSH.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine took to the furminator fairly quickly, and like someone said before, you can get more fur off with a furminator in the 30 seconds they stay still than other brushes.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Furminator, a metal comb, a zoom groom, a slicker brush and a grooming glove, all of which look nice arranged in a little basket in the corner

That's all they do though, is sit there. Riley will have none of it.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nollee wont let me brush her. I bought that zoom groom brush (when she was a kitten) because it is gentle and she swats and bites at it. She's a no go on the brushing. My older cat loves being brushed, I havent tried it with my new kitten yet, but Ill let you know how that goes
I wanted the furminator but I think only the older cat will let me make use of it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It was great with Kandie slick long hair ... Didnt work on Zoey .... Unfortunately I got it only 3 weeks prior to Kandies passing, so I did take it back

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom has a cat that will not really tolerate brushing. With my 3 cats, Ansel loves to be brushed. The 2 girls, however, do not like it. I recently bought a furminator, but haven't really put it to the test yet. I have a question about it though. Are you supposed to hold the "teeth" perpendicular to the cat's body or at an angle? When I hold it 90 degrees to their body, it doesn't seem to want to go through their hair.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spaz gets so upset by combing and brushing that I just don't anymore.
She's getting too old to put through the stress.
Oddly, baths don't stress her and shears don't bother her.

Since she doesn't groom herself like she used to, I simply shear away her matts when she gets them and I bathe her once a year.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the responses!

Originally Posted by SophieC

...Are you supposed to hold the "teeth" perpendicular to the cat's body or at an angle? When I hold it 90 degrees to their body, it doesn't seem to want to go through their hair.
That's a good question! I've been holding it perpendicular... not that it's working...

Anyone else?

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the video, it looks like the groomer is holding the teeth of the furminator perpendicular to the cat's body. I'll have to give it a go this weekend. But, I'm taking them outside to do it. Don't want all that fur flying all over the house.

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SophieC

Are you supposed to hold the "teeth" perpendicular to the cat's body or at an angle? When I hold it 90 degrees to their body, it doesn't seem to want to go through their hair.
Just thought I'd bump this thread up. I just bought the furminator on the recommendations of some friends on a bunny forum, and I love it! It's crazy how much fur I've gotten off of my siamese mix Eve, all undercoat fur. I've found that it works best if you tip the brush forward, so the teeth are at maybe a 45 degree angle to the skin. And like in the video, if your cat has areas of loose skin gently pull them tight while combing that area so you don't catch their skin with the blades.

Eve hates it. She hates all brushes. I just hold her down for a little bit, then give her a treat afterwards. I do have a Zoom Groom but it's bunny-only so cat smell doesn't scare Princess Mocha. Lilly purrs while I'm combing her as long as I rub her ears while I'm doing it. The rabbits hate it, but they hate all brushes so far so it's just a matter of what works. I do like it better than the Zoom Groom on them (they attack the zoom groom anyway!). If the buns are in a heavy molt then it's best to just gently pluck the chunks of loose fur out, then use the furminator. If they're doing a cat-like slow overall shed then the furminator works like a dream!

I just needed to share my love for the furminator, since my server is screwing up and won't let me access the rabbit forum.

Edit: Why did you have to pay $50 though? Shipping? The cat size one was $25 at a local pet store.