Just realized that our wedding is set for the Ides of March. Should we change dates??

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today while two of my coworkers and I were vaccinating some dogs, one of them asked me if my fiance and I had set a date for our wedding yet- and i said, Yup! March 15! It was at that point he was like- Ya'll are getting married on the Ides or March???

I didn't even think about it when i had planned the date earlier. March 15 sounded like a great date...until Tom pointed that out
For those of you who don't know the Ides of March (march 15) was the day Julius Ceasar was assisinated. It's historically viewed as a "bad" day i suppose you'd say.

I'm not really supersticious at all now- keep that in mind. But i also wonder if i should move the date or not though. When I was origionally picking a date- i was going to have the wedding on St. Patricks day - but since St. Patricks falls on a Monday this year, i chose the 15th instead as it's on a Saturday. Am i just being weird or do ya'll think i should change the date real fast before we send out save the dates and set up contracts with our vendors????

I almost want to keep the date and do something "fun" to celebrate at the reception...like have little "swords" as party favors and maybe a Ceaser cake topper
We should also serve Ceaser salads
That'd be weird lol! Maybe we should just keep the date though and go about our day as planned? What do ya'll think??

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well I love Ancient Roman history and what not, so go for it!!! I totally would do it and play it up! Hmmm....just don't have the guys dress in togas or anything....that might be a lil much!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you should hold the wedding as planned! Those are great ideas if you want to do something fun for that day. I had no idea what the Ides of March was until now, but that'd make for a fun reception

(Whats wrong with gettin' married on a Monday? We're getting married on a Tuesday
)

[yes I know its hard for people to make week-day weddings
]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Well I love Ancient Roman history and what not, so go for it!!! I totally would do it and play it up! Hmmm....just don't have the guys dress in togas or anything....that might be a lil much!
Sweet!!!!!! Toga Party Reception!!!!!!!!
How hilarious and inappropriate would that be
(just kidding i wouldn't do that- although it would be insanely fun!) I love ancient history as well so i think i could come up with some fun/creative stuff to do for the wedding maybe! I think we've settled it- i'm keeping the date
i'll just personalize it!

How fun would it be to give the little kids "togas" to wear and plastic swords to fight with- they could have a jousting contest

Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

I think you should hold the wedding as planned! Those are great ideas if you want to do something fun for that day. I had no idea what the Ides of March was until now, but that'd make for a fun reception

(Whats wrong with gettin' married on a Monday? We're getting married on a Tuesday
)

[yes I know its hard for people to make week-day weddings
]
The problem with a Monday is that all of our out of town guests for the most part have to be back at home during the week to work, so we are having it on a Saturday. Also- i want all of my coworkers to be able to attend- so having it on a Saturday (at least for the most part) many of them might be able to come!
It would mean a lot to me to have them all there as we are all really close- so the easier i make it for my friends/loved ones to be there the better! For us that date just worked out- and we're also not getting charged any extra to have it on the weekend! (usually weekdays are less expensive
)

Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Don't change the date. We got married on April Fool's. LoL
Ohhhh i bet that was fun!!!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Umm I like ancient history but I think your wedding should be on your date and make you happy as it is YOUR WEDDING

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
March 15th is my Dad's birthday!! Hold your wedding on whatever date you want. Personally March wouldn't be my first pick. March 15-17th are notorious for really bad snows around here... same with Valentines/Presidents Day. But it's your day... do what you want.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I believe March 15 is a bad day only if you're Caesar.
It's a great date for you guys.

I doubt many people know that date, and anyway, I'm sure you can find something bad that happened in history for ANY date!!!

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I doubt anyone will know, plus, its not like your related to Julius....I'm sure a historical event could be found on every day of the year!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
marriage or a knife in the back, both are death of a good man.

hhehe, had to say that,,
anyway why not have fun with the date, do a little of roman thing,

wedding tend not to be much fun anyway (like the one i went to day)
so put some fun in it

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if you really want to have fun with it - have your vows be in ancient greek/latin LOL play it up - it could be really fun if you like themes. If not, ignore it.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I remember correctly the "Ides" fall on more than one day out of the year: March, May, July and October. For those months its the 15th, and the rest of the calendar months the 13th is considered the Ides.

All its suppose to represent is Julius Caesars death...and apparently that turned into a celebration by the Romans. So based on that I would have to say it's the perfect day to get married.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys!!! We are keeping the date just like we planned. I think we're going to try and add some fun personal touches to the wedding too. Definitely Ceaser salads!!

I still think we should have a Toga party reception
(j/k!) that would be hilarious!!!

I also LOVE Heather's idea about having a rich relative get us tickets to Italy for our honeymoon
(Venice would be my choice city
) lol....hopefully a rich relative will turn up between now and then

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your special day is going to be what you make it!!

And remember, there are always those last minute hiccups... but hey, at least you can have something creative to blame it on.

Florist is late??? Darn you Brutus!!!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ali012281

Your special day is going to be what you make it!!

And remember, there are always those last minute hiccups... but hey, at least you can have something creative to blame it on.

Florist is late??? Darn you Brutus!!!!
I'm doing the flowers so hopefully that won't be an issue

Hummm...i think i'll blame Brutus if my cake is messed up though!
Ohhh fun! I can blame "brutus" if anything goes wrong

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well Nikki...considering I had no idea what the Ides of March was before you posted this...I am going to say go ahead. You'll be fine