Kinda serious

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I feel like I'm crazy and I need to see a therapist. I've been considering it for awhile but I just don't know. My DH hasn't said much even though I bring it up sometimes. I've been on anti depressants for awhile but my dose has recently been increased. My drepression has subsided but sometimes I just feel like I need to be in loony bin. What are some of your opinions? Also, just because you feel crazy does that mean you are?

Oh, I wanted to add that I don't feel like hurt people crazy. It's more like a manic, giddy crazy.

my cat mellow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am from England but currently live in Yorktown V
talk to a proffesional, other than your doctor, My friend has been severly depressed for years, tried different councelors which helped, but she had the most sucsess with hypnotherapy!

Just talk about your problems and worries, talking helps especially when someone can understand how your feeling

BTW I am crazy too just not in a depresed way more of an obsesive compulsive way about food and food phobias so I know its different, but with support you can get through anything...

megagene

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you could possibly be bi-polar. Definitely see your psychiatrist and describe how you feel as best you can. Perhaps you'll be put on Lithium and it will help even you out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by My cat Mellow

talk to a proffesional, other than your doctor, My friend has been severly depressed for years, tried different councelors which helped, but she had the most sucsess with hypnotherapy!

Just talk about your problems and worries, talking helps especially when someone can understand how your feeling

BTW I am crazy too just not in a depresed way more of an obsesive compulsive way about food and food phobias so I know its different, but with support you can get through anything...
Holy crap I have food phobias too. I'm always afraid that food has spoiled or meats aren't cooked right. My mom thinks it's obsesive compulsive. I'm not depressed anymore. Sometimes I feel really manic and giddy, like the complete opposite of depression. That's what makes me think I'm crazy.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if you are crazy. I define crazy as someone who is almost always irrational and/or aggressive. I think lots of times people don't act "normal" because it's their reaction to stress, or just their temperament. If you think you are unable to enjoy life, though, maybe seeking help is a good idea. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I don't know if you are crazy. I define crazy as someone who is almost always irrational and/or aggressive. I think lots of times people don't act "normal" because it's their reaction to stress, or just their temperament. If you think you are unable to enjoy life, though, maybe seeking help is a good idea. Good luck!
Other than feeling manic I do feel irrational and aggresive. My DH is always telling me to quit freaking out over the smallest thing. I don't know if I'd consider myself aggresive but it always seems I'm on edge.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's NOTHING wrong in seeing a therapist.

I work in a Counseling Clinic & there are everyday sorts of people that come in for therapy. I dont think its wrong, or to be looked upon. Sometimes in life, you just need someone else to talk to outside of friends & family - if you can find a therapist you can trust & talk to, do it- you wont regret it

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

Other than feeling manic I do feel irrational and aggresive. My DH is always telling me to quit freaking out over the smallest thing. I don't know if I'd consider myself aggresive but it always seems I'm on edge.
If you are a person who is known to always attack or confront others, then you are aggressive. We all have feelings of aggression and irrationality, but that makes us human, not crazy. Freaking out over things and being on edge could be symptoms of a medical condition, especially hormone imbalances. If your endocrine system isn't working well, it's very difficult to handle stress that others can take in stride.

Seeking help is not a bad idea, but keep in mind it might take a while to find a good doctor/therapist (don't get discouraged if the first one doesn't help you). In the meantime, don't freak out that you might be crazy.

Seek help immediately if you 1) hear voices or 2) those voices are telling you to hurt yourself or someone else. If that's not happening, my advice is to see a doctor and/or do some research on your symptoms and what might be the causes.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you could go see a therapist.. usually they do help (did for me anyway). Don't be discouraged if the first person you see isn't what you think.
Sometimes I feel like how you described but then again I'm not exactly the most healthy.. anxiety really messes you up!

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know what I was always told?
If you think your crazy, you aren`t. Real crazy people think they are normal

There`s no harm in seeing a counsellor/therapist though. Maybe it would put your mind at rest?

my cat mellow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am from England but currently live in Yorktown V
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

Holy crap I have food phobias too. I'm always afraid that food has spoiled or meats aren't cooked right. My mom thinks it's obsesive compulsive. I'm not depressed anymore. Sometimes I feel really manic and giddy, like the complete opposite of depression. That's what makes me think I'm crazy.
I knew I couldnt be the only one LOL!! my phobia is of certain food groups..I was proud of my self as I ate my first chewable vitamin since the phobias started, it took about an hour of slow nibbling but I did it, hubby was proud too

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anxiety can cause some of the aggression-type symptoms as well. When we feel like we're at a breaking point, it is easy to snap at others.

The best way to find out what is going on, is to talk with a therapist and see a psychiatrist. The psychiatrist will be the one who prescribes meds.

Please don't think you are just a mean, cranky person! Stress and chemical imbalances can make us instinctivly behave in ways we normally would not.

Keep us updated on how it all goes

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by megagene

Sounds like you could possibly be bi-polar. Definitely see your psychiatrist and describe how you feel as best you can.

I've suffered with anxiety disorder and its subsequent depression for years and until diagnosed, I thought *I* was crazy as well.

Sometimes you need to switch around with doctors until you find the right one who goes well with you and what you're looking for.

good luck!!!!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The word "crazy" is a layman's word -- it doesn't even have any meaning in psychiatry. So don't let that word and its connotations worry you -- you don't sound like a candidate for a straitjacket!

As Bonnie, said, it sounds like you may be dealing with strong anxiety, which can cause the hostility, obsessive-compulsive thinking, and overreaction to minor annoyances that you describe. And as Megagene said, the giddiness you describe could indicate a bipolar aspect, as well.

Yet you're being treated only for depression, and some antidepressants don't do much for anxiety (believe me -- been there). And if the anxiety is being generated by a bipolar issue, even an anti-anxiety medication won't solve the problem.

The trouble is, doctors have a hard time diagnosing bipolar disorder, because they usually only see the patient in the depressive phase -- most patients feel so good in the manic phase that they don't think they need any help then!
So if that's what's going on, you're already ahead of the game just because you're more self-aware than most people.

So yes, as others have suggested, please go to a psychiatrist -- not your regular doctor, or even a psychologist, because it takes special training and special testing resources to assess this kind of thing. And of course, only a psychiatrist can prescribe for you once the diagnosis is made.

And despite the cliches, seeing a psychiatrist doesn't mean you're "crazy."
And it certainly doesn't mean you're going to be committed or something -- that wouldn't even be considered for someone as obviously coherent and functional as you are! All it means is that you're smart enough to look for help in the right place.

Go ahead and make an appointment! Nothing but good can come of it: if you have a serious problem, you'll get helped, and if you don't, you'll get reassured.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

You know what I was always told?
If you think your crazy, you aren`t. Real crazy people think they are normal

There`s no harm in seeing a counsellor/therapist though. Maybe it would put your mind at rest?
That is SO true. I have always thought that...People who think they need drugs to feel okay normally I don't think they do. People who think they are fine...but clearly they aren't..are the ones who need drugs.

And yes I would suggest seeing a doctor for sure...it can't hurt.