Clogged Ears

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
On Monday before I left for work, my ears clogged up. I noticed when I asked my DH, if he turned down the tv... nope. So I thought it would go away now, but it hasn't it. It is somewhat better, but it is still hard to hear clearly at times. Does anyone know a good cure? Tmi, I've cleaned my ears and not much help. I don't really want to go to the doctor, if I can help it, don't care for doctors, nor want to take time off work to do it. I will go if I have it at last resort.

Is there a good store brand or some kind of medicine I can try at home, first?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually clogged ears are a sign of sinus issues, try taking some OTC sinus stuff and see if it helps any.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Usually clogged ears are a sign of sinus issues, try taking some OTC sinus stuff and see if it helps any.
I tried Advil Cold & Sinus (the stuff behind the pharmacy counter) for a few days when I thought I was gettimg sick, I felt "hot", cold & "achey" for a few days, but feel okay now. Maybe I should keep with it? I just hoping my ears will pop. But I'll keep trying the sinus otc. Thanks

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Debrox eardrops? If the problem is wax, Debrox will clear things up for you in one or two, maybe three applications. The drops alone can work, but if you also get the little bulb syringe to rinse with, it's even quicker.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the sinus stuff hasn't helped and it's been a few days, I agree with trying ear drops and/or an ear wash.

If still clogged, I'd definitely go to the doctor.
My right ear felt clogged to me after my ear drum was pierced (I already knew it was pierced and had gone to the doctor).

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Have you tried Debrox eardrops? If the problem is wax, Debrox will clear things up for you in one or two, maybe three applications. The drops alone can work, but if you also get the little bulb syringe to rinse with, it's even quicker.
Not yet. But I'm going to pick something up today at target. We were there earlier this morning, but I just completely forgot about it. So at lunch I'll get some and try that for a few days/applications & if that doesn't work then I'll go to the doctor.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you use Q-Tips chances are you have jammed wax and dead skin up against your ear drum causing a 'plug' and will need to have your ears cleaned to remove the plug.

I don't recommend you trying to do that yourself because you could burst your ear drum and cause yourself to become deaf. Best to leat a doctor deal with that. It doesn't hurt and only takes a few minutes. I have to have my ears syringed a few times a year because due to my eczema in my ear canals I have had times where I was nearly deaf from the buildup.

If the reduced hearing is caused by a buildup of fluid behind the ear drum as a result of a cold or sinus infection, you can take anti-histamines daily until the fluid is reabsorbed.

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

We bought some at Target after lunch and we did both ears and it feels better. I'm not sure it's "psychological" wanting it to work or not. But it does not feel as clogged, if that makes any sense. We bought the whole kit with the bulb & used that too. Plus before lunch I took an Advil cold & Sinus, not sure if that helped. I'll try for the 4 recommended days & hope it feels better.