Is there a special diet for Siamese??

skyefire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone
I have been told by lots of random friends that I should be really careful on what I feed little Titan (finally picked a name) He is almost 11 weeks old and right now is on Iams kitten dry and Fancy Feast for wet food. I have been giving him Iams Kitten wet, but it was a bit to rich for him and was giving him the runs...which he kept stepping in...ewww poor smelly kitty.

Just wondering if some of the folks with siamese might have some suggestions.
He is eating very well and is growing well, I just want to make sure that I am not giving him something I shouldn't.

Autumn

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!

I'm not sure, but one of our members is a former Siamese breeder (gayef I think!) so you might pm and ask her about them.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS...

many siamese are more sensitive to food ingrediants... NOT ALL...

Iams and Fancy feast both have lots of corn( not a bad thing just not great), chicken and meat by products( HEADS... Ft ... intestines... icky stuff I wont touch) .... Fancy feats has lots of artificial flavors and I think some chemical preservatives...

Good links for info

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...+grocery+foods

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an Oriental Shorthair (identical to Siamese in all respects except colour) about 9 1/2 months old, and he is more sensitive to food changes than my other cat. It doesn't seem to be an allergy as it's not related to any particular ingredients, just if he has something richer than usual, too much cereal content, or I switch his dry too quickly, he ends up with soft stools. It's not that bad tbh, I think I notice it more because my other cat Radar can hoover up any food at all (including people food when he steals it!) without so much as a hiccup, he seems to have a cast-iron digestive system

The other thing I've found is that Sonic (the Oriental) is a PIG! I thought Radar was bad, but he has nothing on Sonic. That young lad really puts it away given half a chance, I have 2 cats who will chew through a thick plastic foil-lined bag of dry food and gorge themselves until they are sick (which in their view just makes room for more
), but really Sonic is far worse. I REALLY have to watch his food intake, because when I feed them together he will wolf down his own food, then push Radar out of his bowl and growl at him while he eats that meal too

If they are all as greedy as Sonic I really wouldn't advise free-feeding after about 6 or 7 months old, because there's a chance you could end up with a beachball-shaped cat instead of a long slender one! Obviously it's important to make sure they are getting enough good quality food, especially when they are still growing, but I would advise measured portions.

I feed high quality wet food twice a day (1 pouch per cat per meal), it's no good me giving you the brand names if you're in the US because they won't be available there, but they are high meat content (between 60%-92% meat depending on brand) with no grains. They also get 1 meal a day of Royal Canin dry food. He was on kitten food until about 7 or 8 months old but because he shares with Radar and they are both smallish cats but absolute gluttons and Radar's ribs were starting to get a bit of a layer of fat on them, they are now both on Royal Canin Fit 32.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Neither of our 2 Siamese have had any issues with food. I have switched foods immediately and no problem. Each cat can be different though.

I did try the Royal Canin for Siamese and then switched to Performatrin, then to Orijen because I felt Orijen was a better food. I also feed a quality wet food twice a day with about 1/3 cup Orijen for in between snacks. Mika gets extra dry food in our daughter's room at night. (Bijou needs to lose some weight.)

I think it's more important to feed a quality food than a breed-specific food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skyefire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the help
I spoke to my vet yesterday, but all he did was recommend a food that I know is all corn and if lucky chicken by product. It drives me crazy they push whatever food is being carried by them and is not a GOOD product. If he wasn't such a good vet I would switch. But all my cats really like him, even Bella who doesn't even like me..lol only my daughter Skylar.

I am going to go to my local pet store and read some of the bags and see what I can find.

Thanks again for all the help

Autumn

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to feed Iams in the past. Now we feed Royal Canin. Maybe you should switch to that or the Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul.

Royal Canin's kitten food is smaller pieces and they even have some for Siamese type cats (the shape is different).

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I used to feed Iams in the past. Now we feed Royal Canin. Maybe you should switch to that or the Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul.

Royal Canin's kitten food is smaller pieces and they even have some for Siamese type cats (the shape is different).
I tried the Royal Canin's Siamese Cat food and the cats did like it, but I didn't think it was worth what I had to pay for it. Cat foods seem to be more expensive here in Canada - at least the better quality ones, i.e., I pay $1.69 per 5.5 ounce can of Merrick's. I believe it is often under $1.00 in the US.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I tried the Royal Canin's Siamese Cat food and the cats did like it, but I didn't think it was worth what I had to pay for it. Cat foods seem to be more expensive here in Canada - at least the better quality ones, i.e., I pay $1.69 per 5.5 ounce can of Merrick's. I believe it is often under $1.00 in the US.
most good to great foods for dry in the US 1.50 -2.50 a lb RC is often over three ( a three lb for 12$ )

Wet food is variable decent 50cent up to 3$ for a 5.5 ..... Merrick here is 99cent to 1.50 for 3 oz and up to 2.50 for 5.5 ( depends on area some get the bigger can for a buck

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the difference between the Royal Canin I feed (Fit 32 I think!) and the one for Siamese? I am completely confused about this. I actually sought advice from a Royal Canin rep at a cat show who recommended Indoor/Outdoor Fit and Beauty or something like that (can't remember the number) for my two based on their youth and energy levels, rather than the Siamese one.

I'm confused about the RC range generally as it happens, in the UK they have different types with particular names and distinctive packaging, but I order mine online from Germany along with the wet I (which I can't get in shops so I order the RC from them at the same time for convenience), and it seems that mainland Europe has different names and packaging for the different types of RC. I doubt many people here will be able to answer that particular one, but I would be interested to know how the Siamese formula differs.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is the ingredients for the Siamese one:
Chicken meal, corn gluten meal, chicken, barley, corn, rice, natural chicken flavor, chicken fat (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, rosemary extract and citric acid), beet pulp (sugar removed), dried egg powder, salmon oil, sodium silico aluminate, potassium chloride, calcium sulfate, fructo-oligosaccharides, hydrolyzed vegetable oil, DL-methionine, choline chloride, brewers yeast extract (Saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation solubles), sodium tripolyphosphate, taurine, Vitamins [dl-alpha tocopherol (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C*), d-calcium pantothenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin (vitamin B2), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], Trace Minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, calcium iodate], L-carnitine, marigold extract.
http://www.royalcanin.us/catfood/siamese.html

This is the only Fit 32 I saw:
Chicken meal, brown rice, corn, corn gluten meal, chicken, chicken fat (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, rosemary extract and citric acid), pea fiber, natural chicken flavor, beet pulp (sugar removed), dried brewers yeast, rice hulls, dried egg powder, salmon oil, salt, calcium sulfate, soya oil, potassium chloride, DL-methionine, choline chloride, brewers yeast extract (Saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation solubles), L-lysine, sodium tripolyphosphate, taurine, Vitamins [dl-alpha tocopherol (source of vitamin E), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C*), niacin, biotin, riboflavin (vitamin B2), d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid], Trace Minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, calcium iodate], marigold extract.
http://www.royalcanin.us/catfood/adultfit.html