I'm a first time foster mom! Please help.

padawan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, yesterday night i took over the role of mama for two young kittens. We think that they are 2 to 3 weeks old. Their eyes are open, their ears are up, and they are starting to be pretty active, though for the most part they just eat and sleep. I also weighed them and they are both at 12oz, which makes me think they are more likely in their third week.

Well, I've had them for about 24 hours now, and here are my concerns.
KittyOne is more active then KittyTwo. KittyOne will seek out KittyTwo's male genitalia and suck away whenever it gets the chance pretty much. The only time she doesnt do this to him is right after she eats. My concern is that I haven't been able to stimulate KittyTwo to urinate. He poops on his own, but not pee with or without stimulation. Is something wrong? Could KittyOne be sucking it out when she suckles on him? Or maybe she hurt it in a way that prevents him from peeing? His area does seem a little sore. Any insight here would be appreciated.

Next concern is that I haven't been able to stimulate KittyOne to poop. She pees perfectly when stimulated, but no poop within the 24 hours I've had them. What should I do? Perhaps I am not stimulated correctly??

So there it is, KittyOne doesnt poop and KittyTwo doesnt pee. What should I do? They are scheduled to go to the vet on Monday, but I am still worried.

Other than that, they eat great, have grown already within the 24 hours I've had them. They are happy, have beautiful clear eyes, and purr all the time.

Should I be really worried about these bathroom issues?

Thanks a ton for any advice. This is my first time fostering kittens like this, and I will be keeping them. I just want to make sure everything is OK.

Thank you!!!

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know about the peeing, but I fostered a little one, and sometimes she pooed twice a day some times she's miss a day good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

padawan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for the response. KittyOne seems like she has some poop in her, i got a glimpse of it once, but she hasnt been able to push it out, not even with stimulation. Any ideas? Should I take her to the vet before Monday?

Also, KittyTwo still hasnt really peed. He was a little wet down there tonight, but only a drop or two. It seems like maybe he does pee a little, but is just seeps out. Never a stream. Though I cant even know for sure if it was pee, because it never happens when I stimulate him.

Is it possible that they already can go on their own, and I am just irritating them by trying to help them go?

I could really use some insight here. I'm worried, probably much more than I should be.

Well im going to try to get to the vet tomorrow.

thanks

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
padawan;1934467 said:
Hi everyone, yesterday night i took over the role of mama for two young kittens. We think that they are 2 to 3 weeks old. Their eyes are open, their ears are up, and they are starting to be pretty active, though for the most part they just eat and sleep. I also weighed them and they are both at 12oz, which makes me think they are more likely in their third week.

KittyOne is more active then KittyTwo. KittyOne will seek out KittyTwo's male genitalia and suck away whenever it gets the chance pretty much.

Please seperate these two kittens, suckling can cause so many problems. Use small, stuffed toys (dog toys) for comfort or invest in two snugglekitties for each kitten, but please don't let them suckle each other.

The only time she doesnt do this to him is right after she eats. My concern is that I haven't been able to stimulate KittyTwo to urinate. He poops on his own, but not pee with or without stimulation. Is something wrong? Could KittyOne be sucking it out when she suckles on him? Or maybe she hurt it in a way that prevents him from peeing? His area does seem a little sore. Any insight here would be appreciated.

They need to be seperated, he needs to have a warm (not hot) compress pressed to his genitals for a few minutes at a time. Suckling is a major concern, and it is common for kittens who are robbed of their mom. The kitten is looking instinctively for a nipple and will attach to the genitals or the paws or tails of other kittens.

brittany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hissy;1934625 said:
Originally Posted by padawan

KittyOne is more active then KittyTwo. KittyOne will seek out KittyTwo's male genitalia and suck away whenever it gets the chance pretty much.

Please seperate these two kittens, suckling can cause so many problems. Use small, stuffed toys (dog toys) for comfort or invest in two snugglekitties for each kitten, but please don't let them suckle each other.

The only time she doesnt do this to him is right after she eats. My concern is that I haven't been able to stimulate KittyTwo to urinate. He poops on his own, but not pee with or without stimulation. Is something wrong? Could KittyOne be sucking it out when she suckles on him? Or maybe she hurt it in a way that prevents him from peeing? His area does seem a little sore. Any insight here would be appreciated.

They need to be seperated, he needs to have a warm (not hot) compress pressed to his genitals for a few minutes at a time. Suckling is a major concern, and it is common for kittens who are robbed of their mom. The kitten is looking instinctively for a nipple and will attach to the genitals or the paws or tails of other kittens.

also kittens who are very young dont have streams of wee, it kind of drips/dribbles out so that sounds normal.

sometimes when you take over the mother duty kittens cat get a bit soild, try gently rubbing the kittens tummy gently to help soften her up, you can try a heating pad which can help also if she hasnt been a poo withen 48/72 hours then she will need to see a vet, buts its not uncommen for them to be a bit backed up.
keep them seprated when you cant supervise them (if possible put them into a box next to each other) if they can climg out then seprate rooms. but when you can supervise them let them go together so they can still bond and have some company and a friend to play with.

padawan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really appreciate all the responses. Now for a positive update =)

We actually had a small breakthrough tonight, and I am so relieved. KittyOne finally had a BM, rather large for a small kitten but at least I think she got what was stuck out. And KittyTwo actually used his small litter box on his own. I placed him in it after feeding, he quickly got out, but came back to it to deficate and urinate. I am really so proud, ah my first glimpse of motherhood. LOL.

I am really not sure what caused this sudden change. And strangely both things happened at the same time. Well the only thing different is that I tried using an eyelash brush to brush their coat. This was the first time i did this to them, and perhaps it stimulated them. They seemed to like it either way.

So things seem better. They are also growing steadily. KittyOne gained .2oz today while KittyTwo gained almost .9oz. They grow so fast!

I will be keeping these two! They are precious, i love them already. KittyOne hasnt been suckling so much on KittyTwo either. I supervise them alot as well, so I think they are doing much better now. I will definately be keeping an eye on it and try compressing his area with warm water though.

Thanks again for all the responses!

padawan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brittany

I dont have any answers to your questions, but I do know that they are SO PRECIOUS!
You are very brave taking on two tiny little lives and being willing to give them up!
hehehhe.. Im not THAT brave... I'll be keeping them forever! I love these two so much.. =)